Is it obligatory for stamps to be cancelled?

Old February 16th 05, 08:18 AM
Rodney

Default Is it obligatory for stamps to be cancelled?

In the past, I have had mail from dealers in the US
that have avoided cancelling, and now I receive
my favourite Stamp Magazine, two minisheets and
a doubleton on cover without a cancel in sight.
Coincidence?

Old February 16th 05, 10:55 AM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Rodney" skrev i en meddelelse

In the past, I have had mail from dealers in the US
that have avoided cancelling, and now I receive
my favourite Stamp Magazine, two minisheets and
a doubleton on cover without a cancel in sight.
Coincidence?

During the past couple of years I have received mail 2-3 times a week from
the US and Canada. About 25% of the covers have never seen a cancel. As
late as yesterday I received a cover from California, containing a
periodical I subscribe to, neatly franked with recent US-stamps, but no
cancel.

I normally save such stamps as skips and return them to sender for his
eventual re-use ;-)
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old February 16th 05, 09:22 PM
Roger Smith

"Rodney" wrote in message

In the past, I have had mail from dealers in the US
that have avoided cancelling, and now I receive
my favourite Stamp Magazine, two minisheets and
a doubleton on cover without a cancel in sight.
Coincidence?

Strange you should have written this message Rodney.

Just 10 minutes ago, before I logged on to this ng and while opening up a
package just received from Melbourne, I wondered if I should write to you
asking why my mailings from Australian dealers so often came without any
cancelling. Some of them get cancelled, but I have to agree that envelopes
from Canadian dealers with whom I have purchased items often come plastered
with splendid stamps but only rarely are any of those cancelled. I have
little experience of US dealers.

This is a pity since the result could be considered either used or mint but
without without gum and with no real evidence either way. Not so
collectable as such in my opinion.

Regards, Roger

Old February 16th 05, 09:37 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Roger Smith" skrev i en meddelelse

"Rodney" wrote in message

[...]

Roger,
You might consider keeping the more collectable ones on cover/piece, so that
there is no doubt that they are used. In my opinion such pieces brighten up
any album page.

Regards
Mette

Old February 16th 05, 09:55 PM
Roger Smith

"Rodney" wrote in message

[...]

I did wonder about that, Mette, but the stamps are not intrinsically
valuable in themselves, and (unlike in certain other countries) stamps are
issued in Australia and Canada principally for postal use and it is not
difficult to get decently-cancelled copies) - and if the mail comes through
without any trace of a postmark on it there is still no evidence that it has
passed through the mail service. I know that it has, but that is not quite
the same thing!

Be assured I do keep these stamps, on piece even, but honestly I do not have
the space to retain the whole envelopes.

Best regards, Roger

Old February 16th 05, 10:33 PM
Tony Clayton

"Rodney" wrote in message

In the past, I have had mail from dealers in the US
that have avoided cancelling, and now I receive
my favourite Stamp Magazine, two minisheets and
a doubleton on cover without a cancel in sight.
Coincidence?

[snip]
Roger,
You might consider keeping the more collectable ones on cover/piece, so
that there is no doubt that they are used. In my opinion such pieces
brighten up any album page.

Regards
Mette

I did wonder about that, Mette, but the stamps are not intrinsically
valuable in themselves, and (unlike in certain other countries) stamps are
issued in Australia and Canada principally for postal use and it is not
difficult to get decently-cancelled copies) - and if the mail comes through
without any trace of a postmark on it there is still no evidence that it has
passed through the mail service. I know that it has, but that is not quite
the same thing!

In the UK, incoming overseas mail usually has the Automatic Letter Sorting
Codes on the envelope, indicating that it at least reached this country.

I agree, however, that the stamps are much less interesting uncancelled.
Mint without gum is usually worth a fraction of the little these
modern stamps are worth anyway.

As to the Australian envelope I recently received, the stamps come from
three unrelated sets, making the envelope even less interesting.

--
Tony Clayton or
Coins of the UK :
Old February 16th 05, 10:50 PM

"Rodney" wrote in message

[...]

.... and, since they are not cancelled, who can say it wasn't
manufactured in the first place?

Myself, I'd rather have a clean stamp - free of debris and all that,
than a mint one with a nasty curly hinge or debris remnants on it.

My statement above also works in reverse with the P.O. and "skips".
If a stamp hasn't been cancelled, who can tell if it went through the
mail, except the person receiving it from the postman.

Sometimes, though, a certain arrangement of stamps on piece looks
nice. That is, of course, if one has the room to store all of these
niceties.

I have a nice set of stamps from Canada on piece, which includes an $8
Bear and one of the $5 buildings, amongst others. Big patch of a
piece. Nicely cancelled, etc. and no damage that I can see. This,
while in my grubby paws, will stay as is.

The only intrinsic value of skips is to re-use them, which some people
accept and others frown upon.
Old February 16th 05, 10:52 PM
Pierre COURTIADE

amesh (Mette) wrote :
As late as yesterday I received a cover from California,
containing a periodical I subscribe to, neatly franked with recent
US-stamps, but no cancel.

He he he !!!!

Let's use my crystall ball.

Wasn'it from Santa Monica ???
:-)

Mine was duly cancelled with a strange "infinite" huge grid.

You may see it here :
http://cjoint.com/?cqw2vJ3omm

BTW, I discovered that the US are issuing un-perfed staps, like the 29
cents stamp on this cover.

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old February 16th 05, 11:06 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Pierre COURTIADE" skrev i en meddelelse
amesh (Mette) wrote :
As late as yesterday I received a cover from California,
containing a periodical I subscribe to, neatly franked with recent
US-stamps, but no cancel.

He he he !!!!

Let's use my crystall ball.

Wasn'it from Santa Monica ???
:-)

Sorry to disappoint you Pierre, but your crystal ball needs to be polished a
bit :-)) My letter came from Oakland :-) That said, I understand that you
and I are members of the same club :-) I am sure that my periodical will
arrive in a few days.

Mine was duly cancelled with a strange "infinite" huge grid.

You may see it here :
http://cjoint.com/?cqw2vJ3omm

"Neatly" cancelled, I dare say :-))

Regards
Mette

Old February 17th 05, 12:22 AM
Roger Smith

"Pierre COURTIADE" wrote in message

BTW, I discovered that the US are issuing un-perfed staps, like the 29
cents stamp on this cover.

Pierre

I have never understood why most self-adhesive stamps come with
"perforations" (other than because of some innate conservatism within the
business). Surely they do not make the stamp more easily separable from its
surround, if that has not already been removed during the production
process.

Self-adhesive freezer and address labels do not come with perforations.

Regards, Roger