More DECEPTION on eBay

Old February 6th 05, 10:58 PM
COLUMBO

Default More DECEPTION on eBay

Check them out:

THE SELLER STATES:

"This coin has "copy" stamped on its edge as required by law and this
auction site."

This is ABSOLUTLY FALSE! THE HOBBY PROTECTION ACT STATES AS FOLLOWS:

Sec. 304.6 Marking requirements for imitation numismatic items.

(a) An imitation numismatic item which is manufactured in the United
States, or imported into the United States for introduction into or
distribution in commerce, shall be plainly and permanently marked
"COPY".

(b) The word "COPY" shall be marked upon the item legibly,
conspicuously, and nondeceptively, and in accordance with the further
requirements of these regulations.

(1) The word "COPY" shall appear in capital letters, in the English
language.

(2) The word "COPY" shall be marked on either the obverse or the
reverse surface of the item. It shall not be marked on the edge of the
item.

(3) An imitation numismatic item of incusable material shall be incused
with the word "COPY" in sans-serif letters having a vertical dimension
of not less than two millimeters (2.0 mm) or not less than one-sixth of
the diameter of the reproduction, and a minimum depth of three-tenths
of one millimeter (0.3 mm) or to one-half (1/2) the thickness of the
reproduction, whichever is the lesser. The minimum total horizontal
dimension of the word "COPY" shall be six millimeters (6.0 mm) or not
less than one-half of the diameter of the reproduction."

THESE AUCTIONS ARE IN VIOLATION OF "THE ACT" AS WELL AS EBAY POLICIES
AND SHOULD BE STOPPED IMMEDIATELY.

"Columbo"

Old February 7th 05, 12:31 AM
Ira Stein

Colombo writes:

[...]

snip

You're technicqlly correct, of course. But, I would get my panties in a
knot over this auction. No one will be fooled into thinking it's the
real thing. It's one of the copies the souvenier shops in some of the
Utah state attractions sold for years.

There are much more deceptive numismatic items for sale on eBay to get
worked up over!

Ira

Old February 7th 05, 03:22 AM
Nick Knight

In .com, on 02/06/2005
at 02:58 PM, "COLUMBO" said:

THE SELLER STATES:

"This coin has "copy" stamped on its edge as required by law and this
auction site."

This is ABSOLUTLY FALSE! THE HOBBY PROTECTION ACT STATES AS FOLLOWS:

Actually, his statement looks ok to me. Unless you can PROVE that the piece
was made after the hobby protection act was in play.

Even if it's a more recent creation, this seller didn't make it. AND, even
with eBay's new misguided carbon-copy of the ANA's misguided
membership/dealer rules, this piece is clearly "legal" in that regard.

So, where's the beef? Let's not start yet-another hunt and get the
..composters all excited.

Next thing you know, fingers will be pointing at some of my German
restrikes, where the markings are "Kopy". Sort of silly to expect a
German-made coin to mark things in English. Sort of questionably to think
that a long-ago defunct German state from the 1500's (or 1600's) has the
"original issuing government" still around. But I'll keep mine, and buy
more when I see them, thanks.

Nick
Old February 7th 05, 03:24 AM
Wolley Segap

In article .com,
"COLUMBO" wrote:

This is ABSOLUTLY FALSE! THE HOBBY PROTECTION ACT STATES AS FOLLOWS:

Yeah. Listen, we're right here. You don't have to shout.
Old February 7th 05, 04:07 AM
Phil DeMayo

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 03:22:37 GMT, "Nick Knight"

Actually, his statement looks ok to me.

Of course it does. You've proven your limited ability to comprehend
what you read repeatedly.

Unless you can PROVE that the piece
was made after the hobby protection act was in play.

I see, in the world according to Nick the seller has no responsibility
to prove that it predates the Act. Of course, eBay rules say they must
ALL be marked. But then again, you've made it clear in the past that
you feel that rules don't apply to you....even those you have agreed
to obey.

Even if it's a more recent creation, this seller didn't make it. AND, even
with eBay's new misguided carbon-copy of the ANA's misguided
membership/dealer rules......

I don't remember you calling them misguided when you claimed they
contained a loophole....

.......this piece is clearly "legal" in that regard.

Edge marking does not conform either to eBay rules or the requirements
of the Hobby Protection Act.

Old February 9th 05, 01:51 AM
Scott Reynolds

I got a set of these replica coins from this seller and another one on
ebay selling the same coins. The auction I bought them from also said
that the word "copy" was supposed to be on the coins, and when I
received the coins, "copy" was nowhere to be found. I asked the seller
about that and they said they "accidentally" sent me the wrong ones and
would send me the ones with "copy" on them if I wanted. I said, "no
thanks.".

Personally I think those particular coins are fascinating, and
appreciate not having the designs marred up with the word "copy" on
them. Authentic versions of these coins are nowhere near the "quality"
of those being auctioned and are well worn... and their starting prices,
usually start around $10,000, provided you can find one at all! I was
quite happy to pay $10 for a nice replica, preferably without the word
"copy" on it.

They are gold plated with a coper core. I've been carrying one in my
pocket to see how it will handle the wear, and so far so good. The
original manufacturer of the coins will punch out solid gold ones for
you if you want and you supply the gold to him. For me, the gold plated
copper ones are just fine.

Scott

Ira Stein wrote:

[...]