The Amazing World of Books

Old September 10th 03, 01:52 PM
diane.walker

Default The Amazing World of Books

"diane.walker" wrote in message
Sometimes the book world completely amazes me. I'm selling a rare book at
the moment from 1628, it has no bids on ebay, and there appears to be very
little interest, will probably end up in the loft with the rest of the

junk.
At the same time I'm selling a number of carp fishing books that are about
10 years old and the interest is incredible, they have only been on a day
and the prices just keep rising.
I think the moral of this story is, never become a book snob, give the
buyers what they want, and stick to books about big fish, and start

reeling
in the cash.
Best regards
Diane
Be back in a week
Gone Fishing
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/aaaworldofbooks

Here's a recipe from an old cookery book I have from 1810. I know its not

really on subject but it sounded so delicious I thought I'd share it with
you lot.
Recipe for Pigeon Pie, and I quote; Rub the
pigeons with pepper & salt, inside and out; in the later put a bit of
butter, and, if approved, some parsley chopped with the livers, and a little
of the same seasoning. Lay a beef steak at the bottom of the dish, and the
birds on it; between every two, a hard egg. Put a cup of water in the dish;
and if you have any ham in the house, lay a bit on each pigeon; it is a
great improvement to the flavour.
Observe, when ham is cut for gravy or pies, to take the under part rather
than the prime.
Season the gizzards, and two joints of the wings, and put them in the centre
of the pie; and over them, in a hole made in the crust, place three of the
birds feet, nicely cleaned, to show what pie it is.

I hope you will all get straight on a try this one, it sounds scrummy.
Best regards
Diane

Old September 10th 03, 03:10 PM
Bob F.

"diane.walker" wrote

Recipe for Pigeon Pie, and I quote; Rub the
pigeons with pepper & salt, inside and out; in the later put a bit of
butter, and, if approved, some parsley chopped with the livers, and a

little
of the same seasoning. Lay a beef steak at the bottom of the dish, and the
birds on it; between every two, a hard egg. Put a cup of water in the

dish;
and if you have any ham in the house, lay a bit on each pigeon; it is a
great improvement to the flavour.
Observe, when ham is cut for gravy or pies, to take the under part rather
than the prime.
Season the gizzards, and two joints of the wings, and put them in the

centre
of the pie; and over them, in a hole made in the crust, place three of the
birds feet, nicely cleaned, to show what pie it is.

Perhaps you will grace us with recipes for rat and other vermin too.

--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page

Old September 10th 03, 03:28 PM
Jon Fredrik Stuestøl

"Bob F." wrote in message

Perhaps you will grace us with recipes for rat and other vermin too.

I can assure you, pigeons are better. In addition they have more meat.

--
Jon Fredrik Stuestøl
Norway

Old September 10th 03, 04:12 PM
diane.walker

"Bob F." wrote in message
"diane.walker" wrote

[...]

Sorry Bob, no rat recipes. But I have found a handy tip for boiling a

Calf's head. "Clean it very nicely, and soak it in water, that it may look
very white; take out the tongue to salt, and the brains to make a little
dish. Boil the head extremely tender; then stew it over with crumbs and
chopped parsley, and brown them; or , if liked better, leave one side clean.
Bacon and greens are to be served with it.
The brains must be boiled; and then mixed with melted butter, scalded sage
chopped, pepper, and salt. If any of the head is left, it may be hashed next
day, and a few slices of bacon just warmed and put round.
Cold calf's head eats well if grilled.

I'm going to have to start charging for these recipes. Bet you can't stop
licking your lips.
Best regards
Diane

--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page
http://www.Hardy-Boys.net
New & Out Of Print Books, Books-On-Tape, Videos, DVDs, CD-ROMs For Sale
http://users.arczip.com/fwdixon/hbsale.htm
To reply: replace nospam with fwdixon
.................................................. ...................

Old September 10th 03, 04:46 PM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Bob Finnan wrtoe:

Perhaps you will grace us with recipes for rat and other vermin too.

It all comes down to habitat and diet. You have to make a distinction
between the feral pigeon, also known as the rock dove
(http://tinyurl.com/mvl7), and the woodpigeon (http://tinyurl.com/mvlf) and
stock dove (http://tinyurl.com/mvln). The latter two, while considered a
poor cousin, can be eaten like other game birds (partridge, grouse,
pheasant, etc.). The former, superficially similar to the other two, is
considered vermin.

The rock dove in its wild form is not vermin, but all domestic pigeons were
bred from the rock dove, and it is these birds - once tamed, now gone
feral - which are an urban pest. Truly wild rock doves (as opposed to those
which were once domesticated and have reverted to the wild) are scarce in
Britain. Some of the feral birds live in the countryside, but generally
they're best avoided.

Contrarily, the woodpigeon is not intrinsically vermin, but it has
encroached more and more on urban areas, and those living in urban areas are
little different, in effect, from the feral pigeons; they should be
considered vermin, just like feral pigeons, and only eaten in times of
famine or dire need. Just grab a pigeeon next time you're in Trafalgar
Square or somewhere, and take a good look at it (wash your hands thoroughly
afterwards!). Whether it's a feral rock dove or a woodpigeon, it'll be
incredibly dirty and home to all kinds of parasites.

On the other hand, rural woodpigeons, stock doves and (in a few very
localised areas) truly wild rock doves make a very decent meal. Formerly,
other related birds, such as collared doves
(http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/collareddove/?page=c) and turtle doves
(http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/turtledove/?page=t) were all regarded as
pigeons. An 1810 recipe would assume the reader to have the good sense to
obtain and cook one or other of these rural breeds, not feral or other urban
pigeons.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old September 10th 03, 05:33 PM
diane.walker

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in message
Bob Finnan wrtoe:

[...]

Exactly right John. But what about the homing pigeon, if their edible,

could it be possible to train them to fly directly into the pie.

Diane

Old September 10th 03, 08:40 PM
Jon Fredrik Stuestol

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in message
Bob Finnan wrtoe:

Perhaps you will grace us with recipes for rat and other vermin too.

It all comes down to habitat and diet. You have to make a distinction
between the feral pigeon, also known as the rock dove
(http://tinyurl.com/mvl7), and the woodpigeon (http://tinyurl.com/mvlf)

and
stock dove (http://tinyurl.com/mvln). The latter two, while considered a
poor cousin, can be eaten like other game birds (partridge, grouse,
pheasant, etc.). The former, superficially similar to the other two, is
considered vermin.

*Lots of useful information snipped*

Here in Norway, pigeons, or doves are hunted and eaten. They taste very
good, even if there is generally not so much meat in each. My little brother
actually goes hunting for doves with his new shotgun. And he eats them too.

As for rats, the only rats I know of is lab rats. I guess theyre edible, but
they are so small. not much of a meal.

--
Jon Fredrik Stuestol
Norway

Old September 10th 03, 10:02 PM
Jon Fredrik Stuestøl

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Jon Fredrik Stuestol" wrote in message

Please note: This is a book collecting group
and not an animal exploitation or hunting group

It may come as a surpise to you to learn, that there are very
many people who find the hunting and general exploitation of
animals, highly objectionable. And highly controversial.

Thank you

I have certainly noted what kind of group this is. And I am glad it is what
it is. As you must have noticed, a lot of off-topic post are posted, and
some of them are, indeed, controversial. This is no surprise to me.

I look forward to discuss collecting of books with you in the future,
despite our discrepancies.

Thank you.

--
Jon Fredrik Stuestøl
Norway

Old September 11th 03, 05:07 AM
Jon Meyers

"michael adams" wrote...
Please note: This is a book collecting group
and not an animal exploitation or hunting group

It may come as a surpise to you to learn, that there are very
many people who find the hunting and general exploitation of
animals, highly objectionable. And highly controversial.

Hmmm. Then I don't suppose you'd enjoy a good dead-cat joke. But they're
easy to adapt to fit the newsgroup:

Q: How do you make a dead book collector float?
A: Two scoops of dead book collector and some root beer.

Or just for the occasion:

Q: What are the burial options for a dead book collector?
A: Laid in or tipped in.

Q: How do book dealers describe dead book collectors?
A: Else Fine.

Q: What do you call a dead book collector who donates his organs?
A: Breaker.

Q: How can you tell a bookseller is dead?
A: He starts to smell better.
(with apologies to all of my bookselling acquaintances who practice
impeccable hygiene)

--
Jon Meyers
[To reply,

Old September 11th 03, 07:25 AM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
"Jon Meyers" wrote:

: How do book dealers describe dead book collectors?
A: Else Fine.

Now, THAT is funny.

--
Scot Kamins, ABR
Specializing in Brokerage Services for Home Buyers