Building a library...

Old April 10th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Building a library...

Well, it's a done deal - I've closed on my first house, tiny though it
may be, complete with a nice wood-paneled study with built-in barrister
bookshelves. My law books will of course occupy some of these, but all
work and no play -- you know the rest.

I was raised in a(n upper?) middle-class home, where Easton Press books
were prominently displayed, and some thought given as to which
collections would go to my brother and I when such things would pass
from generation to generation...

However, I was also raised to believe that Mont Blanc was the
end-all-be-all in writing instruments, and I've since come to know
that, at least for my tastes, I can get twice the writing instrument
in, say, a Pelikan, at half the price. I'd like to correct, if and as
necessary, my knowledge of the book world, along those same lines.

I'd like to start building a personal library. I'd love to find books
that are attractive to shelve and high quality, but still readable. I
need to replace my dog-eared paperback and battered hardcover editions
(refugees from academia -- and wearing the battle scars of academic
carelessness and poverty -- all) of the classics (Shakespeare, Proust,
&c.), and beyond. I honestly don't really care about their value as
collectable items, so perhaps I'm posting in the wrong place (if so,
please direct me to where I ought to be?). Like pens, automobiles, and
wine, I seek Quality, but Quality to use and enjoy, actively yet
respectfully.

In that vein, are Easton Press titles worthwhile purchases (not
investments)? Or are there other, "Pelikan"-esque publishers out there
that I would be better off investigating?

Many, many thanks!

Old April 11th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

rennick wrote:

If you don't intend to invest, then why bother?

Um, to read? Since even those who buy "collectible" books are unwise to
consider them merely an investment I would consider that a rather strange
question.

If you want something pretty to dress up your bookshelves, just go
get those cardboard cutouts they use in furniture stores that make
it look like you have full bookshelves. They would be cheap and you
can't tell the books aren't real unless you get close to them and
scrutinize.

Gratuitous; the OP overcompensates ("to my brother and I") and is a
selfconfessed snob, but nevertheless states clearly what he/she is looking
for:

I seek Quality, but Quality to use and enjoy, actively yet
respectfully.

Your reply doesn't help.

Funnily enough, I've started thinking along the same lines myself. Apart
from my collectibles, many of my books are, like the OP's, cheap paperback
editions or beat-up hardbacks.

Easton has a good name, and has supporters here on rcb (see, e.g.,
http://tinyurl.com/jjol9), but its adherents are mainly likely to be
Americans, and I'm a Brit! No flag-waving or anything; I just haven't really
come across Easton very much.

My own preference, for the "classics", would be nicely-bound volumes, as old
as possible, without being firsts. For instance, I passed up the opportunity
to inherit my father's set of Dickens (early 20th century, clothbound, but
very attractive and in pristine condition) because the print was rather too
tiny, and am now on the lookout for a similar set with decent-sized print.
Some good illustrations would be a bonus, but not strictly necessary and,
unlike a lot of people, who go for leather bindings, I would be just as
happy with a good clothbound set.

I also turned down his set of Wilson's Tales of the Borders because,
although it was a lovely set, I didn't think I'd ever actually read it. (I
can see myself regretting that decision one day!)

I'm also interested in loose volumes if they are attractive enough, but when
it comes to things like Dickens and Shakespeare I'd prefer a nice set. Among
the volumes I already have are some interesting editions of Poe and
Stevenson and some of the Romantic poets (not firsts, but with attractive
cloth bindings). I'm planning to build up a few shelves of books like these;
not really collectible, but nice to handle, pleasant to read, and attractive
to have on the shelf.

If the OP doesn't want to put too much time into it, Easton or similar is
probably the way to go. For me, browsing and picking out individual items as
I go along is more interesting, and makes for a more varied assortment on
the shelves.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old April 11th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

In that vein, are Easton Press titles worthwhile purchases (not
investments)?

If you don't intend to invest, then why bother? If you want something

Old April 11th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Okay, it seems to me that what you're looking for are nice copies of
inexpensive reprint editions, right? Nothing fancy, just good,
solidly-bound readable sets of what are considered the Best Books,
plus whatever other books you know you already like.

Look into the Harvard Classics, which are nicely bound and shouldn't
be terribly expensive. Look for Modern Library reprints,of which
there are probably LOADS out there. Individual authors, like Proust,
and Shakespeare, and Faulkner and so on, frequently were reissued in
matched sets.

Check with local used book dealers around you, they're generally more
than happy to sell off their sets in a chunk, and may very well be
willing to look for other sets if they know you're willing to pay.

It'll be time-consuming, and you'll have to make yourself reasonably
aware of basic used-book lore (condition, value, that kind of thing),
but what you're doing isn't insurmountable.
Old April 11th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

If you go back in our archives, you will find a thread on Easton Press as an
investment. You might also look to certain "library consultants" who pick
out the right books for you given your interests (Law books are tatty - Keep
them hidden from view unless you have clients over...).

Now, there are a few consultants who pick out books for the likes of Diane
Sawyer, who evidently had a problem similar to yours. We here tend to be
more snotty, insisting that tour shelves be filled with books we actually
read (ignore the cardboard book fellow - that was extreme).

If you have the bucks, as you seem to, find a good dealer in your area and
meet over coffee. You probably do not have the time to gather Easton or any
others, so as usual, you pay someone toe put in the time. If you have any
favourite writers, you find someone like me, who scouts out complete works
in first editions. With Mylar covers, modern firsts look very good - and
Scott Turow and John Grisham, along with several other fiction writers,
could compliment the law books.

A good consultant will find out your interests, and match that to the
library. Law - fine. World affairs? Signed presidents? Democrat or
Republican? The result is very impressive. Unlike others here, I do not
recommend the "classics". Simply, someone might ask a question or two, and
you look damn stupid if you have to say you never read the thing. So stick
to things you like, know a bit about, and build up fiction and non-fiction.
The legal thrillers are a natural, business or true crime, and you can
glance through those on you way to work.

And yes, they will increase in value. A set of modern first for Grisham,
for example, recently sold for over $3000 - granted, these were slipcased
firsts (the first 150 printed) but right up your alley - leave 'em on the
shelves and read the paperback copies. Wife and kids - cover them too.

Willow

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Old April 11th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

rennick wrote:
just go get those cardboard cutouts

They're really hard to read. Functionality first, looks second. This
will be a working collection.

Bud Webster wrote:
Okay, it seems to me that what you're looking for are nice copies of
inexpensive reprint editions, right? Nothing fancy, just good,
solidly-bound readable sets of what are considered the Best Books,
plus whatever other books you know you already like.

Bingo.

Look into the Harvard Classics, which are nicely bound and shouldn't
be terribly expensive.

Thanks; hadn't heard of these before, but I'm intrigued by the "5 foot
bookshelf" concept, and there do seem to be lots of complete sets out
there.

It'll be time-consuming, and you'll have to make yourself reasonably
aware of basic used-book lore (condition, value, that kind of thing),
but what you're doing isn't insurmountable.

Time to scout book stores is time I really don't have. (I could
theoretically make time, but then I wouldn't have time to *read* said
books...) I'm logging (hopefully!) partnership-track associate's
hours, if that tells you anything. Oh, and, commuting by bicycle,
lacking time to go to the gym. L.A. is a bit too spread out for what
would otherwise surely be an enjoyable hunt.

Willow Arune wrote:
If you go back in our archives, you will find a thread on Easton Press as an
investment.

Thanks; I did see that, but my aim isn't really investment, but,
reading. Hence, factors that would influence a decision to purchase as
an investment, wouldn't be (equivalently large?) factors in purchasing
for a personal-use library...

You probably do not have the time to gather Easton or any
others

Actually, that was both one of the attractive aspects, and the "amber
flags," of Easton -- with a book arriving monthly, I could read them as
they arrive, and offload the location and acquisition of the books.
But, I'm somewhat concerned about the "book club" feel I get with the
Easton subscription model; I can't put my finger on it, but it feels
like (using snobbish examples from elsewhere), say, collecting all 18
pieces of a Waterford crystal set, instead of using the less expensive
but better for their intended purpose (drinking wine) Riedel
stemware... (Does that make sense?)

John Grisham

No.

Unlike others here, I do not recommend the "classics". Simply,
someone might ask a question or two, and you look damn stupid
if you have to say you never read the thing.

Ah, but, that's part of the plan. Not looking stupid. Reading those I
haven't gotten to yet.

Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions so far! (Except for the
cardboard mock-up guy.)

Old April 11th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

wrote:

[...]

I think I know what will fit perfectly. The Franklin Library produced
a number of signed limited editions and a number of limited first
editions during the 2nd half of the 20th C. The signed limiteds were in
leather. I am not sure about the limited firsts, but I think so. These
will take some work to acquire, but they should make an attractive
collection of books that you would probably also enjoy reading.

Francis A. Miniter
Old April 11th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On 10 Apr 2006 23:26:54 -0700, wrote:

Bud Webster wrote:
Okay, it seems to me that what you're looking for are nice copies of

It'll be time-consuming, and you'll have to make yourself reasonably
aware of basic used-book lore (condition, value, that kind of thing),
but what you're doing isn't insurmountable.

Time to scout book stores is time I really don't have. (I could
theoretically make time, but then I wouldn't have time to *read* said
books...) I'm logging (hopefully!) partnership-track associate's
hours, if that tells you anything. Oh, and, commuting by bicycle,
lacking time to go to the gym. L.A. is a bit too spread out for what
would otherwise surely be an enjoyable hunt.

Well, there are options. You're in LA, there are plenty of used/rare
book dealers who've been around for a long time and, therefore, are
presumeably trustworthy.

Spend some time on the phone - there's really no other way to do it -
with a couple, tell them what you're looking for. Let them know that
your time to search is limited, but that you have time to READ.
Believe it or not, to many of us old-style bookmen, this will make a
difference.

You should be able to find at least one, if not several, dealers who
will supply you not only with the books you want, but whom you can
trust not to fob bad-condition or otherwise undesireable copies on
you.

Other than that, there are thousands of potential sellers on-line, but
it's almost always a crap-shoot. I personally think that under your
circumstances, you're better off finding someone in the area with whom
you can build an on-going working relationship.

I understand your time constraints - fast-tracking at a law firm eats
up 26 hours in the day - but a few hours spent here and there at the
beginning will save you days, weeks down the line. Think of it as
finding a "book broker."
Old April 11th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Lots of interesting suggestions. Probably the least expensive method to
attain what you are seeking is to go to library sales. Usually, there is
quite a good selection of nicely bound classics that, in many instances, are
bypassed by a lot of purchasers. Someone else mentioned the Harvard
Classics. You might be able to get a set of those on Ebay for a good price
(except for shipping). These, also, are availabe at many library sales.

Gramma