paper dollar

Old September 28th 11, 01:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
dlhii[_2_]

Default paper dollar

Trying to get the coin dollars used -
http://blogs.marke****ch.com/thetell...-dollar-bills/
Old September 28th 11, 10:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Roßert G. Schaffrath

On 9/27/2011 8:47 PM, dlhii wrote:
Trying to get the coin dollars used -
http://blogs.marke****ch.com/thetell...-dollar-bills/

I spent three Presibux today at the grocery store (plus higher
denomination paper money). The dollar coins were immediately
quarantined in the cash drawer to a special holding area. They are not
going back into circulation again but back to the bank I am sure.

Old September 29th 11, 12:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

""Roßert G. Schaffrath"" wrote in message
On 9/27/2011 8:47 PM, dlhii wrote:
Trying to get the coin dollars used -
http://blogs.marke****ch.com/thetell...-dollar-bills/

I spent three Presibux today at the grocery store (plus higher
denomination paper money). The dollar coins were immediately quarantined
in the cash drawer to a special holding area. They are not going back
into circulation again but back to the bank I am sure.

As long as we have both bills and coins available, the only key to getting
dollar coins in peoples' hands is for the majority of merchants to begin
giving them out in change. I would bet that 95% of the dollar bills in
people's wallets came to them as change. As long as most merchants have no
incentive to handle both the bills and coins, they typically will handle
only dollar bills and will put any stray dollar coins aside in the cash
drawer as a pesky nuisance. Meanwhile the stockpile of mandated dollar
coins will continue to grow, along with the cost of minting, shipping, and
storing them, while coin advocates stick to their decades-long rant about
how much money can be saved by eliminating the dollar bill. It's a losing
battle.

Old September 29th 11, 01:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Richard L. Hall[_4_]

Of course what wasn't mentioned by Senators Kerry and Brown was that the
paper used to print the $1 bills is made in Massachusetts.

Old September 29th 11, 02:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "Richard L. Hall" wrote:
Of course what wasn't mentioned by Senators Kerry and Brown was that the
paper used to print the $1 bills is made in Massachusetts.

"dlhii" wrote in message
.. .
Trying to get the coin dollars used -

http://blogs.marke****ch.com/thetell...e-out-dollar-b
ills/

it keeps the town alive. very discreet area.
Old September 29th 11, 02:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"dlhii" wrote in message
Trying to get the coin dollars used -
http://blogs.marke****ch.com/thetell...-dollar-bills/

If we actually spend $184 million annually shredding and replacing worn $1
bills, independent of all the worn 5's, 10's, 20's, etc. that also have to
be shredded and replaced, it's time to re-evaluate the process, IMO.

Old September 29th 11, 06:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Bremick wrote:

[...]

Stop printing paper dollars and the issue will be solved.

JAM
Old September 29th 11, 09:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message
Bremick wrote:

[...]

There wasn't an issue at all until it became public how many dollar coins
were being minted each year for decades with no place for most of them to go
except into new warehouses. Too late to save that lost money now. No doubt
things could have been different had coin production waited until it was
FIRST decided to eliminate $1 bill production. But continuing to produce
billions of un-needed dollar coins with no plan on the horizon to eliminate
the dollar bill seems like the typical government planning process to me.

And if we DID ever stop printing dollar bills, who's to say that production
of twos and fives wouldn't be increased to fill the demand void, eating up
any savings from dropping the $1 bill and with no automatic change in
commercial or public attitudes toward $1 coins? I doubt there have been
any human factors studies undertaken by the government to examine this
possibility. Or maybe there have and that's why there has been no rush to
drop the $1 bill.

Old September 29th 11, 09:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Some Guy[_2_]

And if we DID ever stop printing dollar bills, who's to say that production of
twos and fives wouldn't be increased to fill the demand void, eating up any
savings from dropping the $1 bill and with no automatic change in commercial
or public attitudes toward $1 coins? I doubt there have been any human
factors studies undertaken by the government to examine this possibility. Or
maybe there have and that's why there has been no rush to drop the $1 bill.

The Canadians seem to be getting on quite well with their loonies and toonies
after an initial outcry and resistance.

Old September 30th 11, 01:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Some Guy" wrote in message
And if we DID ever stop printing dollar bills, who's to say that
production of
twos and fives wouldn't be increased to fill the demand void, eating up
any
savings from dropping the $1 bill and with no automatic change in
commercial
or public attitudes toward $1 coins? I doubt there have been any human
factors studies undertaken by the government to examine this possibility.
Or
maybe there have and that's why there has been no rush to drop the $1
bill.

The Canadians seem to be getting on quite well with their loonies and
toonies
after an initial outcry and resistance.

And Americans have not been getting on quite well with their system?