Rank Barber Coinage

Old November 11th 03, 07:12 AM
Paul Robertz

Stujoe wrote in message et...
I like Barber coins. I am not as much of a 'Ooooh, that's purty!'
collector as most so Barber coins fit me ok.

I do like the dimes best of all - maybe because I am most of the way
through them from 1900-on. I also have some halves and a smattering
of quarters and, only missing the 12-S for the 1900-on nickels.

Barber Dimes are my favorite series. I started collecting at age 11
when my best friend received a Barber Dime collecting on his paper
route. I now have two complete sets of dimes, a complete set of
halves, a Liberty Nickel set lacking only the 1912-S, and incomplete
sets of dimes, quarters, and halves. The most expensive coin in my
collection is a Barber design: a slabbed Isabella Quarter, purchased
from Ira, commemorating an old World Fair which took place two blocks
away from where I now live. My first ACG slab was an 1893 Columbian
Half engraved by Charles Barber, commemorating the same event. My
first PCGS slab was a Barber Dime, and my type set album has nice AU
or MS examples of all Barber designs.

Yes, the designs are less ispiriring than those which followed and
most of those they replaced (including some by Charles Barber's
father). Why am I a Barber fanatic? A psychologist might note that I
received a scholarship to a prep school which went co-ed the year I
arrived, with a boy:girl ratio of 3:1. I felt I could not afford the
attention of the attractive girls. (I developed a crush on a couple
available girls in high school who resembled the model for the Liberty
Nickel) An investment advisor might note that in graduate school in
the mid-to-late 1980s I spent my earnings on mint state Morgan Dollars
and Franklin Hal;ves, which were heavily promoted. When I returned to
collecting four years ago, I rediscovered my Barber Dime album and
decided that completing it was affordable, and upgrading it to all
full LIBERTY examples was both reasonable and challenging. There are
simply not enough no-problem VF-AU Barber coins remaining to be the
object of a promotion.

There are enough other collectors competing for MS-65 Walkers,
Standing Liberty Quarters, Mercury Dimes, Buffalo Nickels and Morgans
that I thought I didn't have to pay their premium for popularity.
(Shades of prep school) Also, it helps that Barber coins are
relatively easy to grade, so I could soon buy Barber coins without the
angst more well-heeled collectors suffer wondering if their newest
higher-relief coin is worth VF-20 or XF-40 money, or might slab at
AU-55 or MS-62. Also, prices for Barber coins don't change that often,
so I don't have to buy Graysheets more than once every other year.

Most Barber coins are well worn and/or cleaned. A typical common date
Barber coin excites me no more than a typical cover version of an
overplayed pop tune. 1916 Barber Dimes and Quarters in Good are
easier to find than amateur cocktail pianists playing "Autumn Leaves"
or "As Time Goes By". (Collectors of Dead President coins have to wade
through much more dreck, like amateur bands playing "Stairway to
Heaven") I'll still pay a cheap cover charge at a piano bar in the
hope that I'll hear something special, and will still bid on eBay for
circulated Barber coins in the hope that I'll get an underappreciated
bargain. A no-problem Barber half in VF or dime in AU is as
challenging a hunt as finding a neighborhood club where the musicians
actually create something new.
Old November 11th 03, 07:34 AM
Paul Robertz

(Lyntoy1) wrote in message ...
Is this an uncommon feeling? Do others feel as I do, that Barber ranks
at or near the nadir for US design?

I specialize in Barber coins but grant you this. The Chain Cent and
Matron Head Large Cents are ugly, too, but most of us US collectors
still enjoy the chase to find nice examples of these homely designs.

Not only is Barber coinage ugly, it can cause psychological damage.

I enjoy collecting Barber coins in the wake of self-inflicted
psychological and phynancial damage after collecting more popular
series which were promoted in the late 1980s.

Imagine my
horror when at the age of 42 I found out that it was supposed to be a WOMAN on
those coins! I thought it was a man. For months I was afraid to flirt, being
unsure of my ability to discern differences in gender. You will find NO Barber
coins on display here.

At age 32, soon after I moved to Chicago, I discovered that my date
from a dangerous neighborhood here was actually a man. I soon married
a woman from the same neighborhood and then started collecting Barber
Dimes seriously. I am happily married 10 years later and have two
complete sets of Barber Dimes, a complete set of Barber Halves, a
complete minus 1 set of Liberty Nickels, and lots of other Barber
coins.

However, let me say that if I can ever get a Proof DCAM in that series that it
will be my pride and joy. Truly an outstanding coin in that condition, larger
the better, and sexual difficulties overlooked! Mike

I lust after a PR-64 Barber coin, which doesn't even have to be DCAM.
Most Barber coins encountered are in "average circulated" condition
(AG-G) so that a nice proof one is an underrated beauty. I don't
drink enough to think that average circulated Barbers are beautiful,
even though the girls get prettier at closing time.
Old November 11th 03, 02:39 PM
Eric Babula

Alan & Erin Williams wrote in
:

There seems to be a concensus forming. ;-) I've got the Barbers in
my Type set, and I think that this month I will purchase Dansco
albums for Liberty Nickels and Franklin Half Dollars. Now that
Larry Calder (http://www.texascoinstuff.com) is no longer with us,
I will have to choose a new supplier. ;-( Eventually I will own an
album for Barber Dimes, but I will pass on the date/mm acquisition
of Barber Quarters and Halfs. In fact, I doubt that I ever buy
another Barber Quarter, being content with the 1913(P) I got from
Bigg Fredd. It's a better date, and has enough problem-free detail
for me!

I suppose that I will upgrade my (singular) Barber Half, but it is
so far down my list of priorities...that may become a task for my
numismatic heir, whoever that turns out to be.

Alan
'is always planning'

I just bid on a couple Barber Halfs, Quarters and a Dime, on ebaY. Of
course, I am low-balling it, so I won't have to pay a lot for those
coins. Who knows? Maybe I'll get "lucky". Since you brought this up,
I figured I should get my one coin for each denomination, and get it
over with. Hopefully, I can get one of each, in VF or better condition,
just to have one. Then, I don't have to worry about the Barber series
anymore, unless, of some freak of nature, I run out of US coins to
collect! ;-)

--
Smile!!

Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Old November 11th 03, 02:45 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Eric Babula wrote:

Alan & Erin Williams wrote in
:

[...]

It's a trusim that Barbers are easily obtained in G-8 or less, not
unheard of in MS (but pricey!), but that middle range VF-20 to AU-58 is
problematic. The last time I actually followed ebaY auctions for Barber
Half Dollars in EF, there was spirited bidding on almost every piece,
and hammer prices were far beyond my expectations. That's been a year
ago, I don't know if things have changed.

Alan
'I doubt it'
Old November 11th 03, 02:48 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:45:23 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams
is alleged to have written:

Eric Babula wrote:

Alan & Erin Williams wrote in
:

[...]

Uncleaned barbers in xf-au condition are rare. Most AU's have been dipped, in
hopes of making Unc. :-(

Bruce

Old November 11th 03, 02:53 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:45:23 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams
is alleged to have written:

Eric Babula wrote:

Alan & Erin Williams wrote in
:

[...]

Victims of the Bakelite era, when Americans were convinced that 'better
living through chemistry' was a given. ;-) I suspect that same era,
roughly 1920 to 1950, is when a great number of collectors also coated
old copper pieces with shellac, varnish and wax, harshly cleaned old
silver and generally treated collector's coins like spoons and forks
from the attic. ;-/

Alan
'Uncle Sam's Tea Service'
Old November 11th 03, 05:14 PM
Eric Babula

Alan & Erin Williams wrote in
:

It's a trusim that Barbers are easily obtained in G-8 or less, not
unheard of in MS (but pricey!), but that middle range VF-20 to
AU-58 is problematic. The last time I actually followed ebaY
auctions for Barber Half Dollars in EF, there was spirited bidding
on almost every piece, and hammer prices were far beyond my
expectations. That's been a year ago, I don't know if things have
changed.

Alan
'I doubt it'

Alan, it looks like you are right about the VF-AU coins being hard to
find. I found a lot that are listed at EF/AU, which, in my mind are
VG/F!!! But, there are a few out there.

I did find some to bid on, but already I have been outbid on the Barber
Half. And, I will not get into a bidding war with these coins. Maybe
I'll find another one, tomorrow.

--
Smile!!

Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
(If I don't find one anytime soon, I won't cry.)
Old November 13th 03, 10:47 AM
James McCown

Barber was a no-talent designer who made some of the most ugly coins
imaginable and also altered the designs of others in order to uglify
them.

If Morgan had been allowed to design the nickel, dime, quarter, and
dollar, they would have been much more attractive.

Alan & Erin Williams wrote in message ...
In two senses: where I place Barber designs in the pantheon of US
coinage, and by denomination with the Barber coinage, and rank as in
foul, aromatic, disgusting and off-putting.

Try as I might, I have not be able to acquire an appreciation for the
Barber designs of circulating coins. Placing the very similar portraits
of Liberty at her most bland on each denomination was a huge error, IMO.
The reverses are even worse, especially the Eagle, reduced to the
dignity of a chicken and placed in an anatomically improbable stance.

This is a problem, for me. I'm nearing completion on some of the 20th
Century series of the dime, nickel and quarter. The Jefferson and
Roosevelt are more than 90% attained, my Washington Quarters are nearly
filled, I have good starts on the Mercury dimes and an album for my
slowly expanding herd of Bison. The series I have not started by date
and mm are the Franklin, WL, Peace and SLQ. The next logical step in my
backward progression is to begin Barber Coinage acquisition in albums.

Frankly, I dread it. Some I do not despise as much as others, but the
larger the coin, the less I seem to like Barber's work! The nickel is
my 'favorite', I actually like the 'V', followed in descending order by
the dime, quarter and Half. I think the Barber Half is dreadful, simply
unattractive in all aspects. I fulfilled the Half in my type set with a
$7 coin, not even caring to own an AU or MS example.

I can see myself eventually working up an enthusiasm for the nickel (I
like nickels!) and doing the dime from a sense of obligation, thankfully
I have the SLQ between myself and the Barber 25¢ and two series,
Franklin and LW before casting eyes on that Half Dollar.

Old November 13th 03, 03:36 PM
John Stone

(Paul Robertz) wrote in message om...
Stujoe wrote in message et...
[...]

I have thought of trying to put together a set of Barber half dollars
in
VF condition. It would be a real challenge. Not exactly cheap but
not impossible either. I believe a collection was broken up and sold
sometime
in the past few years, don't think it was on Ebay but in a dealer
print ad.