Ever lost or damaged a coin in bizarre circumstances?

Old November 7th 03, 04:01 PM
The Fausts

Default Ever lost or damaged a coin in bizarre circumstances?

A couple nights ago I was preparing to place a new acquisition, a tetrobol
of Histaiai, into its new home (a 2X2 flip). Given the location of my
collection, this involved sitting on the carpet. I left the tetrobol on an
album on the floor next to me while I was preparing the flip for its new
occupant. Suddenly I spotted one of my cats approaching rapidly, her eyes
glued on Histaiai the nymph, and her ears pointed forward in curiosity!
Tetrobols are tiny little things, smaller and considerably lighter than a
dime. Would the cat lick it? Eat it? Swat it across the floor? Would the
numismatic gods allow such a cruel fate to follow 2,200 years of
preservation?

Fortunately, the kitty barely had time to sniff before I prevented her from
answering that question. But it made me wonder: does anyone here have a good
story about some bizarre fate a collectible coin has met?

Eric
(My other question is whether it is obvious I'm having a slow day at work.)

Old November 7th 03, 05:51 PM
DONDI3

In article , "The Fausts"
writes:

[...]

Yes, but I'm retired and I'll answer it...;-)

Mine relates to my girlffriend's class ring back in 1962. We started going
together when she was junior in high school and I was a sophomore in college.
She had just recieved her class ring and I had never purchased one, but she
asked to take hers. I was excited and wore it happily for quite a while I
mulled over a way to get a 1960 high school ring for her to wear. To make a
long story short, I often looked at it and thought about her during class and
almost anytime I saw it on my pinky finger.
I frequently twirled it on my finger. One day I was studying in the college
library. It was quite chilly in the basement study room and mother nature began
calling me after a couple of hours. While resting on the restroom stool, I was
'twirling' the ring on my finger, when suddenly it slipped off my finger and
between my legs and into the bowl below. I quickly stood up, determined to
retrieve it no matter the cost to personal hygiene...but it was nowhere to be
found. 3 or 4 minutes of searching finally came to the realization that it was
no longer in the bowl at all, but had probably been catapuled by the slope of
the bowel over the "trap" into the plumbing.

A visit to the janitor's office dashed all hope of ever finding it, as he
related that the pipes in the restroom ran "IN" the cement and there was no
sub-basement where we could access the trap.. It was somewhere in the pipes
between the college library and city wastewater plant, forever gone.

I was forced to relate this unflattering tale to my girlfriend with many
accompanying mea culpas and to my surprise, she laughed it off. I think that's
what helped me decide to eventually marry her. She only relates to the
important things in life and not the symbols. While the ring was important, it
was only a symbol and nothing else.

It's many times placed things in perspective over the last 39+ years, as her
light treatment of the incident at the time, has not deterred her from
embarassing me with it several hundred times since.

One good thing, your cat would have never brought it up at the company picnics
and Christmas parties...

dondi3
DONDI enterprises. BUY, SELL, TRADE. RARE COINS & PRECIOUS METALS
Member COINNET, CSNS, ANA, INA, MOON, ILNA.
Old November 7th 03, 06:10 PM
Scottishmoney

"The Fausts" wrote in message
news
Fortunately, the kitty barely had time to sniff before I prevented her

from
answering that question. But it made me wonder: does anyone here have a

good
story about some bizarre fate a collectible coin has met?

Eric
(My other question is whether it is obvious I'm having a slow day at

work.)

In May of 1999 I purchased a 1670 Bristol, England farthing token from a
collector also here in RCC. It came with a Scottish banknote which I also
ordered. I remember receiving the package in the post and removing the
items and looking at them, but I thought I needed to put the banknote in my
album right away so I did, and when I did this I put the token back in the
envelope. After that I never saw it again, I presume I must have thrown it
out by mistake. What was very disappointing was it was one of the nicest
17th century farthing tokens I have ever seen, now it is rotting with refuse
in our local landfill.

Dave
"Haven't lost another since"

---

Old November 7th 03, 09:36 PM
nohope587

I won a 1950D nickel on eBay advertised at MS66 actual MS63 and now due to a
slip of the pliers whilst removing the staples on the 2x2 maybe MS60....
Needles to say I now cut my coins out of 2X2s rather than try to save them
for re-use.

--
Richard Barnes
Ebay nohope587

news

Old November 7th 03, 10:23 PM
JSTONE9352

I was once showing a silver three cent
piece to my grandfather and while looking
at it he got diverted by something else
and set it down somewhere and then
we couldn't find it again. As you may
know those are very small coins and
can be easily lost.

Oh well....
Old November 7th 03, 10:34 PM

Mine relates not to a coin, but a nice opal 3 pce set; ring, necklace,
and earrings for my wife. Bought the set with earring clasps. Then she
decided to pierce her ears, so back to the jewlers to replace them with
studs. Then she tore the earring off the ear taking off a sweater and
couldn't wear studs any longer. Back to the jewelers for clasps, again.
The jeweler was very nice because this all took place within a week and
he didn't charge me a cent.

My wife lost the stone on the ring down the kitchen sink,,,, traps
sometimes don't work.
Older sister in law lost one of the clasps earings while out partying
and younger sister law lost the necklace in a fight.

I no longer buy jewelry.

bob

Old November 8th 03, 03:46 AM
Michael E. Marotta

"The Fausts" wrote
does anyone here have a good
story about some bizarre fate a collectible coin has met?

About 1995 or so, I was a member of the Livingston County (Michigan)
Coin Club. I served as vice president for a term, then secretary and
newsletter editor. One night, I gave a talk about ancients and passed
out examples. One of the members dropped my Ptolemaic Tetradrachm on
the linoleum and it broke in two.

I looked at the insides for a long time using several lenses before I
patched it with superglue.

Mike M.
ANA R-162953
Old November 8th 03, 03:49 AM
Michael E. Marotta

"The Fausts" wrote
a tetrobol of Histaiai ...

BTW, nice coin!
Old November 8th 03, 04:09 AM
David Hamilton

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:01:25 GMT, "The Fausts"
wrote:

Fortunately, the kitty barely had time to sniff before I prevented her from
answering that question. But it made me wonder: does anyone here have a good
story about some bizarre fate a collectible coin has met?

Eric
(My other question is whether it is obvious I'm having a slow day at work.)

When I was probably about 8 years old (somewhere around 1960) I bought
an 1853 1/2 dime at a coin show. (a major purchase for me) When I got
home I was looking at it and I dropped it on the couch. as I tried to
grab the coin, it slipped further and further behind the cushion
until it was irretrievable. I was devastated. My parents assured me
the couch was holding it in safe keeping, someday they would get rid
of the couch and they would be able to retrieve the coin then.

Probably 5 years later My parents got a new couch and sold the old one
to my uncle. I was the only one that remembered the coin (I probably
never sat on the couch without thinking about it G I made my
parents cut open the couch before it left the house. The Coin was
retrieved, I still have it!!
Dave
Old November 8th 03, 04:31 AM
RR

I was in the army where we had a beer dispensing machine in the barracks.

Boy was I thirsty after cutting the general's grass all afternoon.

I needed 50cents to buy a cool brew. Nada, nada.

I went to my locker and retrieved an 1881 $10 gold eagle and it fit right in
the beer dispenser. Was that a great cool beer or what?

news