Gold coin worth $500 to finder is hidden in citywide contest

Old August 11th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Default Gold coin worth $500 to finder is hidden in citywide contest

City Wide! That is a lot of driving around. Wonder how many
people would be looking? I am too lazy for a treasure hunt.

FROM:
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....=2008808080339

Berry Hill business launches treasure hunt

Gold coin worth $500 to finder is hidden in citywide contest

By NICOLE YOUNG

259-8091
August 8, 2008

Somewhere in Nashville, a "gold" coin worth $500 awaits
discovery, hidden in a very public place that's somehow
relevant to the city's history.

The person who finds it has a choice to make: keep this
coin or trade it in for the $500.

If this scenario sounds like something out of a
pirates-and-buried-treasure-hunt movie or book, it's
because it is exactly that.

Cashville Gold & Silver Buyers, 2528 Franklin Road in
Berry Hill, is launching a citywide treasure hunt on
Aug. 8. The reason, according to planners Josh Levine,
Cashville's president, and Julie Schoerke, owner of
the JKS Communications public relations firm, is
mostly because of the economy.

"Lots of contests have started in giving away $50
gas cards, but we thought it was much more fun to
have a $500 real gold coin to give away," Schoerke
said. "With the economy suffering, what could be
better than to win a prize that could pay some
significant bills, and the winner gets to decide
just how to use it, and they aren't just stuck with
a gas card if they'd rather spend it on utility
bills or something fun that they've always wanted."

Cashville builds on 'gold fever'

Levine said that he came up with the initial idea
by observing customers at Cashville, stating that
many customers often come in to sell, then develop
"gold fever."

"I thought a hunt would be a great way to expand on
that gold fever, and, at the same time, it would
also be a way to get people to realize that they
could also go on a treasure hunt in their own homes,"
Levine said. "Sometimes, they have gold or silver
that they don't even wear anymore, and it could be
worth as much, if not more, than this gold coin
we're hiding."

At Cashville, it doesn't matter what kind of shape
gold or silver is in, Levine said. The metal is
purchased based on market value. Currently, gold is
worth about $1,000 per ounce.

For the treasure hunt, Levine decided to use a
half-ounce gold U.S.A. Eagle coin, but that's not
what people will find if they discover the location
of the treasure.

"We're using a replica," Levine said. "It will be
an obviously fake coin. We want people to purposely
find it and bring it back here instead of
accidentally finding and keeping a $500 gold coin
out there."

Hunt will be first of several

If the first hunt is a success, Levine and Schoerke
plan to do subsequent hunts and keep doing them as
long as they're popular, they said.

That's music to the ears of Ted Clayton, a West End
resident who recently found out about the contest
through a friend.

Although he is not a customer of Cashville, Clayton
said he'd "love to find the coin so (he) could
become one."

"All we read about in the newspaper today is doom
and gloom," Clayton said. "This is new and
different, and it's just positive and fun. Besides,
who doesn't love a scavenger hunt?"

Clayton, who owns Ted Clayton Interiors in Green
Hills, says he's planning to go out and search the
minute the first clue is announced.

"I've already thought of 50-some odd places where
it could be hidden," he said. "This is such a
breath of fresh air in these economic times. It
brings new meaning to 'there's gold hidden in them
there hills.' "

Old August 11th 08, 01:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Hello

Below is and updated link. Same story from "The Tennessean"
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....WS01/808110365

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
m...
[...]

..

How much is the gold or silver worth in that coin or medallion? Goldbug Coins 0 September 19th 06 09:03 AM
$5 Gold Coin Contest saved92 Coins 5 July 14th 05 01:52 PM
Finder of rare British gold coin breaks silence stonej Coins 0 December 7th 04 10:33 PM