Storage of SAEs

Old November 9th 03, 05:14 PM
Coenundrum

Default Storage of SAEs

I am storing some proof silver American eagles long term (hiding them from
spouse as she does not share the same love for these shiny discs as I do) and I
have a concern that when I open these up 5 - 10 years from now, they will be
tarnished or discolored. Is it safe to put these in sentry safes with some
silica gel (desicant)? Is it safe to use a cardboard box or a plastic box or
bin (sometimes called totes or sterilite)? What is the best method to store
these? Where and in what?

Thanks in advance,
Coenundrum (for those of you who noticed: spelled incorrectly for many years
because someone else had already used the correct spelling for their "handle".)
Old November 9th 03, 05:36 PM
Bob Peterson

All silver coins will tarnish over time if stored in the conditions you
describe. best bet is to seal them so no outside air can get at them. I
think one of the vacuum sealing gizmos would work well. I have had pretty
good luck with just run of the mill ziplock bags. keep in mind the ziplock
bag is not really air tight, but changes in air pressure are accommodated if
you do not overfill the bag so it can make slight changes in size to
accommodate different outside air pressures without actually having to let
in new air.

I doubt that desiccant bags are of much use. silver does not tarnish
because of moisture, but rather because of sulfer compounds, commonly found
in paper of all types. that's why its probably a bad idea to but them in a
cardboard box. some plastic containers (PVC being the worst) can leech
chlorine compounds as well, which can do some nasty things to silver.

Old November 9th 03, 10:46 PM
WinWinscenario

Intercept Shield makes an album for the storage of SAEs that claims to
neutralize environmental contaminants before they can damage your coins. I
have one for SAEs, and so far (2+ yrs) it has prevented any toning.

Regards,
Tom

Best Storage??? troymello Cards:- non-sport 1 April 29th 04 01:40 AM
Acid-free storage box Haubrey Dolls 1 February 16th 04 04:34 PM
Proof Set Storage Alan Coins 11 October 5th 03 04:34 PM
Archival manuscript storage Bud Webster Books 1 September 16th 03 07:26 AM
Way To Save Space On Coin Tube Storage The Numismasochist Coins 5 August 8th 03 11:12 AM