Ever lost or damaged a coin in bizarre circumstances?

Old November 9th 03, 01:23 AM
Dale Hallmark

"The Fausts" wrote in message
.com...

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote in message
"Robert A. DeRose, Jr." wrote:
Once, about five years ago, I left a badly-worn fourth-century Roman
bronze coin sitting on my night table right next to my pile of loose
change. The next day, I rolled up the coins and deposited them in the
bank, and when I got back home the Roman bronze had disappeared. I am
pretty sure that I must have somehow rolled it in with the cents and
thus recirculated it. I hope I gave some other coin colelctor a real
thrill in finding a coin circulating for over 1600 years :0

-Robert A. DeRose, Jr.

LOL! That's the best yet! And here I was all pleased to find a 1946
and a 1950 wheat cent in today's $5. ;-)

Alan
'memorial, memorial, memorial, reign of Diocletian, memorial...'

Then Bill and Debbie report their dramatic find in Coin World and are
brutally flamed here for blatantly making things up.

Eric

I like Bill and Debbie's report. But after collecting for over
40 years off and on, and examining many many bank rolls, I have never
experienced
in total the kinds of finds they report every issue. In fact after all this
time,
I could produce ONE report of ALL my finds since 1963 that would equal
theirs.
I have never found a foreign coin in rolls. I have found very little
silver. I have never found an error coin.

Dale
They have the luck of gods.

Old November 9th 03, 01:50 AM
Bob Peterson

"Robert A. DeRose, Jr." wrote:
[...]

I have gotten several foriegn coins in change. never tried rolls. might be
fun.

I have gotten canadian cents, nickles, dimes, and quarters in change. not
every day, but now and then. and I am not that close to canada (northern
IL).

I have also gotten several different coins from carribean nations in lieu of
us cents.

I think I have gotten maybe 2 or 3 wehaties a year over the last few years.
They have become downright scarse in change.

I have not gotten a silver coin in change in a long time, although a guy I
work with found a silver quarter a few weeks ago.

I have always figured they have way too much time on their hands. Someone
told me once both are on disability and they supplement their disability
checks with their writings and selling the stuff they find.

Dale
They have the luck of gods.

Old November 9th 03, 04:05 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

Dale Hallmark wrote:

(snip)

I like Bill and Debbie's report. But after collecting for over
40 years off and on, and examining many many bank rolls, I have never
experienced
in total the kinds of finds they report every issue. In fact after all this
time,
I could produce ONE report of ALL my finds since 1963 that would equal
theirs.
I have never found a foreign coin in rolls. I have found very little
silver. I have never found an error coin.

You need to move to where I live. ;-)

I get canadian nickels, cents and quarters as a matter of course. I
have found a Bahamian nickel, some silver and a cud cent. I've been
only diligent in roll searches since 2000, and was sporadic 1980 to
1982. Of course, 'back then' I was still finding Buffalo and Liberty
nicks, silver dimes and lotsa wheat 1920 to 1940!

Alan
'the good old days'
Old November 9th 03, 06:38 AM
TomDeLorey

In my early days at ANACS, I was photographing some incoming coins, and as I
took a rather nice Julius Caesar portrait Denarius out of its flip (by the
edge, of course) it broke in two in my hand. I was mortified, but the curator
at the time looked at the broken edge and assured me that the piece had an old
crystaline flaw that must have gotten stressed in the mail. We returned it to
the submittor along with an offer to pay his declared value for it, which he
accepted. The last time I saw the piece, it was on display in the ANA Museum,
crazy glued back together.
..
When I was with Collectors Clearinghouse, we once received a rather severely
folded envelope in a post office baggie along with a note explaining that the
envelope had been in a mail pouch that was run over by an airplane at the
Columbus (O.) airport! Fortunately, the bust dollar inside had missed the fold.
..
Tom DeLorey
..
Subject: Ever lost or damaged a coin in bizarre circumstances?
From: (Michael E. Marotta)
Date: 11/7/2003 9:46 PM Central Standard Time
"The Fausts" wrote
does anyone here have a good
story about some bizarre fate a collectible coin has met?

About 1995 or so, I was a member of the Livingston County (Michigan)
Coin Club. I served as vice president for a term, then secretary and
newsletter editor. One night, I gave a talk about ancients and passed
out examples. One of the members dropped my Ptolemaic Tetradrachm on
the linoleum and it broke in two.

I looked at the insides for a long time using several lenses before I
patched it with superglue.

Mike M.
ANA R-162953

Old November 9th 03, 05:57 PM
The Fausts

"TomDeLorey" wrote in message
In my early days at ANACS, I was photographing some incoming coins, and as

took a rather nice Julius Caesar portrait Denarius out of its flip (by the
edge, of course) it broke in two in my hand. I was mortified, but the

curator
at the time looked at the broken edge and assured me that the piece had an

old
crystaline flaw that must have gotten stressed in the mail.

Ouch! I guess I'd better cut back on hugging my Caesar denarius before it's
too late!

When I was with Collectors Clearinghouse, we once received a rather

severely
folded envelope in a post office baggie along with a note explaining that

the
envelope had been in a mail pouch that was run over by an airplane at the
Columbus (O.) airport! Fortunately, the bust dollar inside had missed the

fold.

LOL

Eric

Old November 9th 03, 10:37 PM
WinWinscenario

When I was a youngster, just getting started enjoying coins, I had a bunch of
nice, little finds--Indian cents, early Lincolns, some obsolete Barbers, Mercs
etc.

At school, they were starting a "junior banking program" where we could put
things in an envelope and have them securely deposited in a bank. What a great
way to preserve my treasure! I put everything in the envelope, took it to
class--and was devastated when I was told that the money that I would get back
was not the same money that I had deposited! A very early and very painful (at
the time) lesson in life.

Regards,
Tom