Red Book values vs. other books?

Old November 9th 03, 04:02 AM
Allen McBroom

Default Red Book values vs. other books?

So, the Whitman Red Book 2004 values are significantly lower than the
other four printed price guides I found at Books-A-Million today. For
example, a VF large cent in the Red Book was $18, while in the other guides
it fluctuated from $43 to $70. Most other comparison were similarly lower
in the Red Book. What's the reason for the disparity?

--
Allen McBroom
www.NPSTKD.com
Old November 9th 03, 04:29 AM
Bob Peterson

"Allen McBroom" wrote in message
. 97.132...
So, the Whitman Red Book 2004 values are significantly lower than the
other four printed price guides I found at Books-A-Million today. For
example, a VF large cent in the Red Book was $18, while in the other

guides
it fluctuated from $43 to $70. Most other comparison were similarly

lower
in the Red Book. What's the reason for the disparity?

You think randomness should be consistnet?

Old November 9th 03, 04:46 AM
Bill Krummel

"Allen McBroom" wrote in message
. 97.132...
So, the Whitman Red Book 2004 values are significantly lower than the
other four printed price guides I found at Books-A-Million today. For
example, a VF large cent in the Red Book was $18, while in the other

guides
it fluctuated from $43 to $70. Most other comparison were similarly

lower
in the Red Book. What's the reason for the disparity?

--
Allen McBroom
www.NPSTKD.com
Remove WOOF when replying by email

Red Book is not the best to use for a price guide. Prices may be outdated
in the time between compiling the prices and the book hitting the retail
shelfs, that time probably six months or more.

I can only compare my 2002 Redbook with a current monthly price guides and I
do see some considerable jumps in prices for some dates in VF, about double.
Other dates show very little difference, $18 vs $20.

We are supposed to be in a hot coin market. I can only suppose that the
market demand for certain dates and grades is greater has increased
considerably on the fixed supply, creating some fast price jumps. Again,
Redbook prices are generally considered outdated by the time the book is on
the retail shelf. I have seen a time when following Redbook prices would
mean you seriously overpay for a coin. Today, it looks like you could not
buy a coin with Redbook prices. Bill

Old November 9th 03, 04:51 AM
Sam F.

"Bill Krummel" wrote...

[...]

Also, the "other books" have not been named.. that would truely help in
figuring this out.
I noticed just yesterday, that some of my large cents have actually doubled
in value since I last
looked at them.. and they are only medium grade at best!

If possible, I would like some more info on the other books... but as Bill
wisely said,
The Red Book is NOT the best to use for a price guide!

Sam F.

Old November 9th 03, 05:35 AM
Bob Peterson

"Sam F." wrote in message

"Bill Krummel" wrote...

[...]

The only price that matters is what an actual buyer will pay for your coin.
As best i can tell, none of the price guides accurately reflect that except
for the greysheets and even they are high. Normally dealers will pay less
than bid and try to sel above ask, and they tend to cluster around those
numbers for the commoner suff.

For things not so common, it really depends on just how bad you want the
coin and how bad the seller wnats to get rid of it.

Sam F.

Old November 9th 03, 04:58 PM
JSTONE9352

Also, the "other books" have not been named.. that would truely help in
figuring this out.

I suspect a few would be "North American
Coins and Prices" and "U.S. Coin
Digest" (Krause's version of the Redbook,
right down to a red cover- they know who they are competing against.) (smile
face here)

rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 08:18 PM
Book signing information Ted Kupczyk Autographs 6 November 2nd 03 02:04 PM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM