Book Care

Old June 11th 10, 12:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Sam[_5_]

Default Book Care

Question for the group any help will be
appreciated.
How can you get the musty smell out of a book?
I had a book given to me and it was not stored properly.

Sam
Old June 11th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Sam wrote:
Question for the group any help will be
appreciated.
How can you get the musty smell out of a book?
I had a book given to me and it was not stored properly.

Sam

What I do is to place the book in direct sunlight, usually
on a table in my living room which has a wall of windows.
I stand the book up, spread the pages toward the sun, and
let is sit a couple days. Every few days I make sure that
different pages are open to the air. After 2 -3 weeks the
smell is sufficiently gone that it can be shelved.

Stay away from chemicals such as chlorine or Mil-Dont. They
will only damage the paper and the boards.

--
Francis A. Miniter

In dem Lande der Pygmäen
gibt es keine Uniformen,
weder Abzeichen, noch irgend welche Normen,
Und Soldaten sind dort nicht zu sehen.

Siegfried von Vegesack, "Es gibt keine Uniformen"
from In dem Lande der Pygmäen
Old June 11th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don P

On Jun 11, 7:35 am, Sam wrote:
Question for the group any help will be
appreciated.
How can you get the musty smell out of a book?
I had a book given to me and it was not stored properly.

Sam

Exposure to sunlight and fresh air is the only reliable
remedy, and it takes a long time (and risks causing
ink to fade.) This topic regularly recurs -- see archives
of this group.
Old June 14th 10, 01:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Sam[_5_]

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 07:47:44 -0700 (PDT), Don P
wrote:

On Jun 11, 7:35 am, Sam wrote:
Question for the group any help will be
appreciated.
How can you get the musty smell out of a book?
I had a book given to me and it was not stored properly.

Sam

Exposure to sunlight and fresh air is the only reliable
remedy, and it takes a long time (and risks causing
ink to fade.) This topic regularly recurs -- see archives
of this group.

Thanks,
I will try your suggestions and make sure I
keep an eye on the book.

Sam
Old June 15th 10, 06:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
Sam wrote:
Question for the group any help will be
appreciated.
How can you get the musty smell out of a book?
I had a book given to me and it was not stored properly.

Sam

What I do is to place the book in direct sunlight, usually on a table in
my living room which has a wall of windows. I stand the book up, spread
the pages toward the sun, and let is sit a couple days. Every few days
I make sure that different pages are open to the air. After 2 -3 weeks
the smell is sufficiently gone that it can be shelved.

Stay away from chemicals such as chlorine or Mil-Dont. They will only
damage the paper and the boards.

Interesting. I also use the sun....

--
Jean B.

Serious Skin Care Tips For Women Who Take Their Skin Care Seriously! [email protected] General 0 May 22nd 08 02:58 PM
Care of old books peter Books 3 May 2nd 05 01:02 PM
lol lol lo i dont care 8 BALL 8 Track Tapes 3 February 21st 05 12:00 PM
Okay, ~I~ care. Olde Hippie Autographs 5 January 28th 05 12:36 AM
leather book care/restoration Greg Books 1 September 3rd 03 04:38 AM