Bible coin -- Marine removed from duty over Bible coin reports

Old June 20th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default Bible coin -- Marine removed from duty over Bible coin reports

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

"Honus" wrote in message
. ..

"James Slaughter" wrote in message

Dr. James Slaughter, Adjunct Professor
Criswell College, Dallas, Texas
www.criswell.edu
Listen to our 100,000 watt radio station on 90.9 FM in Texas
or online at www.kcbi.org

Say, Jim...I was wondering if you could tell us why you no longer use
this:

----
Rev. James Slaughter
www.criswell.edu
www.kcbi.org/
www.jewwatch.com

as your sig file, as a simple search will show you have in the past. Is
it because of that last link...you know, the one that leads to that
anti-Semitic, Holocaust denying site? And while we're discussing web
pages, is this one yours?

http://www.shoutlife.com/profile_view.cfm?uid=50173

If it is, I see some commonalities between your web-authoring skills
and your critical thinking skills. I've noticed that you made a post
last year about "Jewish Leaders in the Homosexual Movement", in
alt.radio.broadcasting (http://tinyurl.com/4evfmm) so all of this is
starting to tie together...searches for information about you keep
popping up the same sets of name, not that I believe in guilt by
association...but Frank Provasek, Gary Dorman, bobandcarole, Brian
Oakley, savedgirl. Seems odd to me. (Except for the OT postings, which
are to be expected...after all, you have a mandate from Jesus to force
yourselves on other people.)
Actually you are wrong here. Jesus never said anything about forcing
anyone to believe the Gospel. Our job as Christians is to tell the
Gospel. Its up to God in the form of the Holy Spirit to convict you of
your sin. Not mine. Im just the messenger. If you wish to kill, deride,
mock, profane, etc, the messenger, thats fine. But that doesnt abdicate
the responsibility of the hearer from responding to the message in
either accepting it or rejecting it.

I also noted that someone else made that exact same gay-bashing post a
few years before you plaigerized it. http://tinyurl.com/4s67q5 . Shame
on you, unless you had permission...or post under different names. (To
get past kill-files?) If so, again, shame on you. At least you layed
off of the Catholics for a while; I'm sure they appreciate that. You
remember those posts...like when you said "Use of a rosary to "pray" to
the "Mother of God" is an unspeakable blasphemy
against Jesus and our Heavenly Father, and the Holy Spirit."

Actually hes probably right in that it is wrong to pray in that manner.
Jesus taught us to pray to the Father, not to Mary or any other dead
saint.

Jesus actually taught you? In my meager Catholic upbringing, priests and
nuns encouraged us to pray to Mary and to particular Saints. I can't
believe all these fine people went against your views. All good Catholic
kids attached St. Christopher medals to their bikes. Their parents often
had St. Francis or Virgin Mary statues in their gardens. Fortunately,
there were no Taliban in my neighborhood.

Uh yeah Bruce, He taught me, through the reading of His word, which,, I
believe, most of those priests and nuns discouraged for a long time. Fine
people? Maybe, but people never the less, and they do make doctrinal
mistakes.

As could the gentlemen who supposedly jotted down their thoughts that ended
up as the Bible, long after the purported events occurred. They were
people, too, no?

As far as the medals and statues, I dont find any place where Jesus said
we needed to have those or to pray in front of them, etc. Church tradition
needs to match Scripture. I havent seen any Baptists burning down any
Catholic cathedrals in the last few years, have you Bruce?

They came after Jesus. In the 1920's or 30's. No one prayed at or to the
religious statues in their yards or the medals on their bikes. It was just
a feel-good thing.

Why would you expect to have recently seen Baptists burning Catholic
cathedrals? Am I supposed to recall some ancient history here?

Old June 20th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:38:56 -0500, "Brian Oakley"
wrote:

Church
tradition needs to match Scripture. I havent seen any Baptists burning down
any Catholic cathedrals in the last few years, have you Bruce?

They're too busy picketing military funerals because they "fought for
a country that embraces homosexuals". At least the ones at Westboro
Baptist Church are. Pastor Fred Phelps is a real poster-boy for the
Baptists.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old June 20th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

tradition needs to match Scripture. I havent seen any Baptists burning
down any Catholic cathedrals in the last few years, have you Bruce?

It's kind of ironic. I can point to well-known instances in US history of
Catholics being murdered in the street and their churches burned down, but
none vice versa. Just a thought.

Old June 20th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Higgins

wrote:

Church
tradition needs to match Scripture. I havent seen any Baptists burning down
any Catholic cathedrals in the last few years, have you Bruce?

They're too busy picketing military funerals because they "fought for
a country that embraces homosexuals". At least the ones at Westboro
Baptist Church are. Pastor Fred Phelps is a real poster-boy for the
Baptists.

Broad brush hate is your specialty?

--
Civis Romanus Sum
Old June 20th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

wrote:

Church
tradition needs to match Scripture. I havent seen any Baptists burning down
any Catholic cathedrals in the last few years, have you Bruce?

They're too busy picketing military funerals because they "fought for
a country that embraces homosexuals". At least the ones at Westboro
Baptist Church are. Pastor Fred Phelps is a real poster-boy for the
Baptists.

Broad brush hate is your specialty?

Yep. The brush that should be applied to Pastor Fred Phelps and his
followers should be coated with hot tar.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

or online at www.kcbi.org

[...]

Which touches on the very topic that started this mess. I believe that
some of the people who accepted the coins in the first place felt forced.

Believe...thats a far step away from actual fact.

I didn't say otherwise, and I was careful to make my position clear by use
of the phrase "I believe". And I maintain it's a perfectly reasonable
position to take.

And actually, -you- are wrong here. I didn't say anything about forcing
people to believe the gospel. Go back and reread our two statements. I
said that you force yourselves on other people...big difference.

No, not in the context in which you said it. You dont like people telling
other people about the Gospel. You tried to make out like the soldier held
therm at gunpoint, insisting they take a coin. That is the context. Its
simple hostility to the Message, plain and simple. Own up to it.

I own up to nothing. I don't care if anyone shares the gospel, or Aunt
Mildred's brownie recipe...provided it's at an appropriate time and place,
and I'm not helping pay for it. The soldier in question was manning a check
point...he was on duty, and therefore proselytizing on my dime while wearing
a uniform with my country's flag on it, in blatant violation of standing
orders. He broke the law, when he could easily have accomplished his
"mission" in a more ethical fashion. Personally, I'd have been more
impressed if he'd gone out in the community and done it off duty, rather
than when he's surrounded by the safety provided by his M-16 and his armed
comrades. I'm not saying that I'd have approved, mind you. For all I know,
he broke Iraqi law as well. No one's mentioned that possibility.

When was the last time you, Slaughter, savedgirl or anyone else in that
mini axis of evil made a coin post in this coin group? You're commisioned
by Jesus to preach the gospel. You're also told to make disciples. Are you
really going to say that you're welcomed everywhere you and your
missionaries choose to go? I wish you'd shake the dust off of your feet in
this case.

Well, Ive made a few coin posts in here, but only when I cant find out the
info for mysel usually. Most of the answer I get are accuseatory, much
the same as the one you just asked. It really doesnt matter if we are
welcomed, we are part of the community just like everyone else, except
those that toot their "tolerance" horns dont seem to be so tolerant of
those that name the name of Jesus.

Artful job of snipping, Brian. The context was "forcing" yourselves on
people. The other people that I mentioned have -never- made a coin related
post. They're not part of the "community". They were called in by someone to
bolster that person's religious arguments. What do you do when you're
incapable of fighting your own battles? You hire mercenaries. Pathetic. And
you've gotten received an accusatory responses to a coin related question, I
haven't seen it. Unless it was along the lines of commentary on your opinion
of market grading, or something like that. Then all bets are off, and we're
all in danger.

What's more, the "Church" has a long history of forcing people to believe
the gospel (or pretend to believe to save their skins) anyway, so you're
wrong on that count as well.

Actually I never claimed the Church didnt do that. So I cant be wrong
about that.

I'll concede that point, even though you snipped the reason out. You were
talking about Jesus, while I was talking about the church.

Of course, I suppose you don't regard Catholics as being True Christians,
so....

Im sure there are some Catholics that will go to heaven, but it wont be
because they take mass every Sunday or pray to Marry.

That's not what I said or implied. Are Catholics as a whole Christians or
not? And you've already answered me.

to God in the form of the Holy Spirit to convict you of your sin. Not
mine. Im just the messenger. If you wish to kill, deride, mock,
profane, etc, the messenger, thats fine. But that doesnt abdicate the
responsibility of the hearer from responding to the message in either
accepting it or rejecting it.

Ah, the Holy Spirit. Is that the same one in Exodus that hardened
Pharoah's heart and denied him free will, causing God to inflict all
kinds of death and suffering for the Egyptian people? Ah, yes...here it
is...Exodus 4:21 "...but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let
the people go." That's the Lord, though..not specifically the Holy
Spirit. Either way, you can imagine what I think of both the messenger
and the message. And God bears the first responsibility, by the way...to
present a believable, coherent account for one thing.

Its the same Holy Spirit that said "Father, forgive them...", its the same
Holy Spirit that said ":

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting
life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world;
but that the world through him might be saved.

I don't have time to quote the mean-spirited (pun intended) things that have
come from the "mouth of God". Here's a link instead:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Knock yourself out.

See, your perception of what it is to be a Christian is totally incorrect.
Its not about condemnation, its about forgivness. Many Christians get
that wrong as well. That is a sad admission, but I will make it.

The last thing you need to do is try to educate me about what it is to be a
Christian. I did my time in the trenches as a True Believer. Of course, I
come across people like you all the time who tell me that I was never a True
Christian (tm) in the first place, otherwise I wouldn't hold the views that
I do. And you're only giving us part of the picture. It's also about forcing
your social values on the rest of the country based on -your belief- (and
all others be damned) that you're on a mission from God. You don't just live
and let live.

I'm supposed to take some dead guy's word for it (decades after the fact)
that the Saviour of all Mankind said "(fill in the blank)"?

Maybe you need to read the early church fathers writings, you will see
that what those "dead guys" say has been passed down from generation to
generation and is as accurate as the extant texts of the New Testament.

That's not saying much of anything.

I don't think so. No one should be imprisoned for second hand hearsay,
much less doomed to an eternity of burning in Hell. I was born with the
ability to reason; it's what comes naturally.

A God given ability I might add. You were formed in the image of God. God
can and does reason. If you were to be genuine in looking at the Bible, I
dont believe you would say what you are saying.

There's another objection I have. How come when I sin the transgression is
mine to bear and I'll burn in hell for all eternity for the smallestof sins,
but when I do good God gets the credit? That's always bothered me.

I've read the book, Brian, and countless others on the subject, as well as
wasting countless Sunday mornings and Sunday and Wednesday evenings
listening to commentary on it. You're not dealing with a neophyte here.

I'm not going to give that up for "faith". As Twain said, "Faith is
believing what you know ain't so."

Twain also said "It isnt what I dont understand in the Bible that bothers
me. Its what I do understand" or something with similar context.

You ought to unload that gun before you point it at your foot, or take the
shoe off before you put it in your mouth. I'm starting to understand, now;
you don't actually -read-. Otherwise you'd know what Twain meant when he
said that, and you'd also be less of a zealot. If atheists recruited, their
best tool would be the Bible, to paraphrase.

I also noted that someone else made that exact same gay-bashing post a
few years before you plaigerized it. http://tinyurl.com/4s67q5 . Shame
on you, unless you had permission...or post under different names. (To
get past kill-files?) If so, again, shame on you. At least you layed
off of the Catholics for a while; I'm sure they appreciate that. You
remember those posts...like when you said "Use of a rosary to "pray" to
the "Mother of God" is an unspeakable blasphemy
against Jesus and our Heavenly Father, and the Holy Spirit."

Actually hes probably right in that it is wrong to pray in that manner.
Jesus taught us to pray to the Father, not to Mary or any other dead
saint.

Actually, it probably doesn't matter what anybody says to their imaginary
friends. I personally don't care what you say about the Catholics; I just
want to ensure that you can never do anything about them other than speak
your mind. That's the crux of the matter for me. We don't live in a
theocracy. Franklin said the Framers gave us "A republic, if you can keep
it." I intend to do my best to not let Benjamin down. Speak your piece,
as I surely will. I'm only following the Biblical injunction to not put
the light under a bushel, after all. You ought to be able to appreciate
that.

Isnt that...hipocracy?? To claim the Bible isnt true then claim to follow
the Biblical injunction? Cant have it both ways. Its either true or it
isnt.

No, it's not hypocracy. I was speaking in terms you'd understand and relate
to, and yes I -can- have it both ways. When the Bible says there's a city by
the name of Bethlehem, I can believe it. When it says that snakes and
donkeys occasionally speak, I can dismiss it. When it says to honor my
mother and father, I can accept it. When it says that it's okay for Hebrews
to buy slaves from countries surrounding their own, I can dismiss it. When
the Bible says to not keep truth hidden by hiding it under a basket, I can
accept it. Get the idea? I'm sure I could find pearls of wisdom in the Koran
if I wanted to. But I don't have to believe that there's 72 virgins waiting
to reward each martyr. Actually, they'd only be virgins for a short time;
eventually they become 72 -wives-. Maybe the Muslim martyrs will get theirs,
after all.

If you were to make a real effort to study the early fathers of this
country, then again you would find out exactly what the government was
based on, and will only work with that kind of foundation. When we shift
away from that foundation, our government will crumble, as is evidenced
already by the judiciary already making law insted of interpreting it.

I have spent more time than you can imagine doing just that very thing. And
you're wrong. Read, Brian...and not just what your handlers tell you or
allow you to. Read some dangerous stuff. The stuff that the church would ban
if it could; which they've done in other places and times when they were
allowed to it. Which, oddly enough, is an example of why you're wrong.

Reread that paragraph if you have to. It's weighty.

http://tinyurl.com/52t78p That's marginally better than that time you
said that the Catholic Church was the Whore of Babylon. (Someone a few
years back compiled a list of some quotes of yours that they found to
be...interesting. http://tinyurl.com/4bo86n)

Again he has a good argument here in that the Catholic Church could very
well the the figurative woman who rides the beast as depicted in
Revelation. Take some time and study the arguments for that.

I have. There are any number of people/entities that could fit the bill.

There are few in number actually.

It ought to be narrowed down to a field of one, if it was divinely inspired.
None of this Nostradamus-interpretation type of twisting meanings so that
almost anything can fit the bill.

Why aren't you addressing any of those -other- quotes? For instance, the
nasty stuff about Jews? You just had this little exchange with Leo Marx:

quote

Christians in the US make my head hurt when they preach nothing but
hate, intolerance and damnation.

JAM

You might expound on what you mean. I dont get that kind of preaching in
my
church.

end quote

Im not sure what it is you want me to address here. If I addressed every
ridiculous topic in here, Id have to do this professionally. Do
you...have a job??

You missed the stuff that speaks to your character, Brian...the important
stuff if you want to be taken seriously as an emissary of your Lord. Except
for the stuff about the Jews. Kudos.

If you and your cronies aren't getting this Jew-bashing stuff from your
church, where are you getting it from? And why are you buying into it?

???

And if it's just Slaughter's personal position and you don't share it, why
are you not distancing yourself from him? And why isn't he speaking up for
himself?

Where someone speaks wrongly about the Jews, they deserve their own
consequences. My Bible tells me that all that bless Israel will be
blessed, and all that curse Israel will be cursed.

Which is an asinine position to take, and that ought to tell you something.
My country right or wrong is evil enough when it's about your own country;
doubly so when you believe it even though a guy from that country wrote that
set of verses about it himself. There's a fatal lack of reasoning going on
here; see if you can spot it.

Now, do you think I want blessings or cursings? I think you can figure
that out. I dont know where people get the ideas of hate for Jewish
people, other than a very misplaced blame of them for the crucifixion. We
are ALL to blame for that.

I'm not. If that's your burden, you shoulder it. Nothing I've ever done
justifies an eternity in flame. And the thought of a god sacrificing himself
to himself to satisfy a demand for blood atonement that he instituted
himself (and knowing that he's coming back to life in three days anyway) is
just silly. I'd be amazed if I discoverd that anyone I know wouldn't go
through hell for three days in order to give every single human who ever
lived a chance at eternal bliss. I'd do it for my children, and that's just
two individuals; the umpteen billion other people who've graced this planet
would just be gravy. Jesus' sacrifice was no sacrifice, and I'm not
impressed. By the way...that's a really nasty turn God gave the Jews,
knowing how all of this would turn out. Hatred and abuse for millenia, and
the vast majority of them won't even make the cut when the roll is called up
yonder. That's what he meant when he called them his chosen people? Chosen
for what?

speaks to other issues, he may or may not be right. Im sure somewhere
along the line you hold positions that might be right, as well as wrong??

Oh, absolutely. I'm thoroughly embarassed at how totally wrong I've been
about things in the past. See the part above, where I mentioned that I used
to be a true believer, for example.

why he doesnt speak up for himself, I assume he has better things to do
that wasting all his time in here trying to fend of the bigots and
religion haters.

The why did he show up in the first place? And why won't you deny or affirm
your connection with his being here at all?

You've raised a bit of a stink the last few days in various corners of
Usenet, and from what I've read, some people are taking the initiative
to call the college that you claim to be associated with since you're
not listed anywhere at that site, and try to find out the real scoop.
(Perhaps the "Adjunct" title explains that.) I'll be interested to see
if you're legit, or just another liar for Jesus.

What say you?

P.S. Hey...love that Christian walk you've got goin' on there, Brother!
Credibility is -everything-.

WWJD?

Hummm, seems like youve gone a long way out of your way to dig up dirt
on someone here. Makes me wonder what skeletons are in your own closet.
I think Elvis sang a song a while back about cleaning up your own back
yard?
Good day,

There's your problem. I didn't "dig up dirt", and these aren't mere
skeletons in anyone's closet. These are statements made by someone
claiming to represent Jesus and "The Good Word". When a televangelist
gets caught defrauding little old ladies do you decry the people who
exposed him by "digging up dirt"?

Yeah, when their agenda is to mearly point a finger and say "look, there
go those Christians again", and you lump all of us into one catagory, just
as you have all during this diatribe of yours. Yeah Ill tell it like it
is. It doesnt in any way excuse the deplorable behavior of those who do
such things and claim to know Christ, NOR does it excuse that kind of
behavior from those who DONT believe in God either. Its more
understandable, and far more prolific,but not more excusable.

I've been very specific about which Christians I've been talking about, and
when I've mentioned the religion as a whole I've provided Bible verses to
back up my claims about their behaviours, which are based on their beliefs.
Most of my family members are still devout Christians, btw. They're not like
you, Slaughter or savedgirl. And now I suspect you question their salvation.

Barring any evidence to the contrary or any impending denials, I didn't
rake any muck...I exposed a liar, a fraud and a bigot. I again note that
you don't distance yourself from them. Is that a tacit admission of
support? Someone called Slaughter, savedgirl et. al. into this group; was
it you? Do you all know each other through your common beliefs? (As I said
above, I kept finding your names in association; you all didn't just
randomly drift into the coin group right at this fortuitous time.) I'd
also like to point out to you that I went looking for that kind of stuff
about Slaughter because, amongst other things, I was pretty confidant that
I would find it.

Im sure you were.
And more than gleeful in reporting it I see.

And the fact that I was right, and did find it means nothing? Actually, I'm
sick at heart of it. But as I said before, I can't sit back and do nothing.
I've seen with my own two eyes where your type of agenda will lead us, has
in fact been leading us, and the posts that I've been addressing are what
prompted my response. You don't see me pounding Jim Higgins, do you? (Sorry
to drag you into this, Jim...if you're even reading.) I don't take glee in
beating up Christians, because that's not what I do; I feel some
responsibility in exposing the militant ones who pose a threat, and expose
is all I do. After all, I used to sit in your dugout; I know how you guys
think, and what you're going to say. I've been there.

That ought to alarm you. If young Mr. Slaughter is an example of who you
want playing on your team and representing your Lord and God, you're going
to lose in a big way. Take some advice...get rid of him, and the
televangelists.

I dont think I HAVE him...let me look.....no, hes not here.

I'm so disappointed that my comment went over your head.

I have plenty of skeletons, as does everyone else. I'll even help you in
that regard. For example, I've used the same nym for -years-, for
thousands of posts, and there are posts archived out there that I sure
wish I hadn't made; they're findable...I've never posted under any other
name. Exhume away. (And learn a thing or two in the process, hopefully.)

No, Im not going to do that. Thats why they call it grace.

That's why -some- call it grace. There are other names for it.

But I can face up to them, and admit them for what they are. I challenged
your theistic friend Mr. Slaughter

Again, lumping us all in one basket I see. When will you realise how
really bigoted that is? You dont hesitate to call everyong that is a
Christian a bigot. Why not do some self examination, and find out that
you, too, sir, run the same road .

What part of "I challenged your theistic friend" lumps you into one basket?
No matter...until I see otherwise, the two of you -are- in the same basket.
Otherwise, why was he summoned?

to do the same...he's failing me miserably. Why should I trust his
judgment in matters of such import as my immortal soul, when I clearly
can't trust him to be a man and step up to the plate here?

Step up to the plate because someone THINKS he should have to answer to
them? Who are YOU sir? Who do you THINK YOU really ARE?

I'm the guy that caught your little pal lying, that's who. I'm the guy
that's judging the tree by its fruits, to put it in terms you can more
easily relate to. I'm allowed to do that, you know...Jesus told me to. Are
you questioning his authoritah? (That probably went over everyone's head. No
matter...I got a kick out of it.)

For whatever it's worth, though, I can forgive youthful indiscretions.
There's nothing divine in that forgiveness, only humanity; a statement
the meaning of which I'm sure will sail cleanly over your head.

And the final word...why do I bother with all of this crap, when I know I
won't convince you and you won't convince me? Because of statements like
this, from "Professor Slaughter", which you seem to approve of by your
silence...since you don't seem to have looked them up, I'll quote a few
of the more relevant ones..read them carefully:

quote
President Bush was selected by God to lead us in these end times.

That is a believe that many Christians have. Exactly what is wrong with
that idea?

They're free to believe that. It's when it's coupled with the other quotes
that it becomes a concern. You end up with a huge voting block of people
willing to crap on the Constitution because they think God has a new
emmisary on earth, with a red telephone linked to heaven. Why would you guys
want a pope of your onw, knowing how you feel about the regular variety of
Papists?

As far as my silence, you presume I spend every day reading in this rather
useless place to spend time. I come in here very seldom, and I dont hang
on every word of every post, which is probably unlike many in here. Its
simply not worth the headache and nausea it causes.

The silence that I'm referring to is all of the stuff that you haven't said,
or didn't say. How did Slaughter find his way here? How did savedgirl find
her way here? Why do your names pop up in connection on the web the way they
do? I keep asking, you keep ignoring. That's the silence. And it's loud.

I really think most Christians now believe that President Bush is the
regent holding the throne for the true King, Jesus Christ.
Islam is a False religion. Everything Jesus did can be independently
documented. I simply don't believe that any right exists to endorse a
false religion.

Althought I disagree with the first sentenance, I would agree with the
second in that Islam is a false religion. I would not agree that someone
does not have a right to worship as they wish.

I agree with everything you said in that paragraph. I also think that -your-
religion is false.

The President is our Commander in Chief and has the power to make any
decision he desires in order to protect us.

I think there is a law somewhere that enables him do do so....?

I was correct...you -don't- read. No wonder we're in the mess we find
ourselves in. There are laws that specifically prohibit him from doing so,
and they weren't written by "activist judges", either. I have to look up a
quote here...ah, yes. Here it is: "The best argument against democracy is a
five-minute conversation with the average voter." Winston Churchill
sometimes makes me laugh.

"Fundies" is a hateful term used by liberals for "Fundamentalist"
Christians who understand that the Bible is the literal word of God,
and MUST be the basis for all VALID civil laws.

Nothing wrong or inaccurate with that statement, except for maybe the
grammar of the second sentence...

If I was going to assault something in there, it would be that they don't
understand that the Bible is literal, they believe it to be. And which part
of the Bible will you derive your valid law from?

end quote

What's frightening is that you guys wrap yourselves in the flag as "True
Patriots" while you dream of trampling people with the Bible in your
hand. What's more frightening is that your other hand is typically
holding a noose.

Again, I hear a ring if bigitory here.

Get your ears checked; that's the sound of patriotism. You're a threat to
people who don't believe as you do. Should homosexuals be stoned? Should we
change the law to allow it? Surely God wouldn't object, and then it's be
legal on all fronts. How about stoning atheists? It's legal in some
parts...does God approve?

You really should try walking into a good Bible believing church and spend
some time with some real Christians. Walk a mile in their shoes. Theyve
walked many in yours already.

Been there. Done that. Tithed. Received. Voted appropriately. Even paraded
in front of the abortion clinic with the sign.

Old June 20th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

Well, Ive made a few coin posts in here, but only when I cant find out the
info for mysel usually. Most of the answer I get are accuseatory, much
the same as the one you just asked. It really doesnt matter if we are
welcomed, we are part of the community just like everyone else, except
those that toot their "tolerance" horns dont seem to be so tolerant of
those that name the name of Jesus.

You forgot to add "in the name of intolerance" at the end.

Old June 20th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

wrote:

Church
tradition needs to match Scripture. I havent seen any Baptists burning
down
any Catholic cathedrals in the last few years, have you Bruce?

They're too busy picketing military funerals because they "fought for
a country that embraces homosexuals". At least the ones at Westboro
Baptist Church are. Pastor Fred Phelps is a real poster-boy for the
Baptists.

That man is a disgusting individual.

or online at www.kcbi.org

[...]

I dont think anyone in their right mind that has read anything Ive posted in
here would believe I would even want to call in "mercenaies" LOL.

And you've gotten received an accusatory responses to a coin related
question, I haven't seen it. Unless it was along the lines of commentary on
your opinion of market grading, or something like that. Then all bets are
off, and we're all in danger.

What's more, the "Church" has a long history of forcing people to
believe the gospel (or pretend to believe to save their skins) anyway,
so you're wrong on that count as well.

Actually I never claimed the Church didnt do that. So I cant be wrong
about that.

I'll concede that point, even though you snipped the reason out. You were
talking about Jesus, while I was talking about the church.

Maybe thats why your so confused about what Im saying.

same Holy Spirit that said ":

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting
life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world;
but that the world through him might be saved.

I don't have time to quote the mean-spirited (pun intended) things that
have come from the "mouth of God". Here's a link instead:

Im sure you would rather focus on those.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Knock yourself out.

See, your perception of what it is to be a Christian is totally
incorrect. Its not about condemnation, its about forgivness. Many
Christians get that wrong as well. That is a sad admission, but I will
make it.

The last thing you need to do is try to educate me about what it is to be
a Christian. I did my time in the trenches as a True Believer. Of course,
I come across people like you all the time who tell me that I was never a
True Christian (tm) in the first place, otherwise I wouldn't hold the
views that I do.

According to the Bible thats exactly right.

And you're only giving us part of the picture. It's also about forcing
your social values on the rest of the country based on -your belief- (and
all others be damned) that you're on a mission from God. You don't just
live and let live.

Lets see, is that bigotry bell ringing again?

I'm supposed to take some dead guy's word for it (decades after the fact)
that the Saviour of all Mankind said "(fill in the blank)"?

Maybe you need to read the early church fathers writings, you will see
that what those "dead guys" say has been passed down from generation to
generation and is as accurate as the extant texts of the New Testament.

That's not saying much of anything.

Actually it is. Just their use of Scripture validates the accuracy to which
the Scripture has been passed down through time. It attests to the
authenticiy of the testimony of the Apostles.

I don't think so. No one should be imprisoned for second hand hearsay,
much less doomed to an eternity of burning in Hell. I was born with the
ability to reason; it's what comes naturally.

A God given ability I might add. You were formed in the image of God. God
can and does reason. If you were to be genuine in looking at the Bible, I
dont believe you would say what you are saying.

There's another objection I have. How come when I sin the transgression is
mine to bear and I'll burn in hell for all eternity for the smallestof
sins, but when I do good God gets the credit? That's always bothered me.

It has to do with pride. No one wants to give glory to anyone but himself.
Thats exactly what the Bible teaches.

I've read the book, Brian, and countless others on the subject, as well as
wasting countless Sunday mornings and Sunday and Wednesday evenings
listening to commentary on it. You're not dealing with a neophyte here.

Maybe not a neophyte, but certainly one that has never had a relationship
with Jesus Christ.

I'm not going to give that up for "faith". As Twain said, "Faith is
believing what you know ain't so."

Twain also said "It isnt what I dont understand in the Bible that bothers
me. Its what I do understand" or something with similar context.

You ought to unload that gun before you point it at your foot, or take the
shoe off before you put it in your mouth. I'm starting to understand, now;
you don't actually -read-. Otherwise you'd know what Twain meant when he
said that, and you'd also be less of a zealot. If atheists recruited,
their best tool would be the Bible, to paraphrase.

Scripture can be taken out of context by even the most simple minded.

[...]

I see, cafeteria Christianity....

If you were to make a real effort to study the early fathers of this
country, then again you would find out exactly what the government was
based on, and will only work with that kind of foundation. When we shift
away from that foundation, our government will crumble, as is evidenced
already by the judiciary already making law insted of interpreting it.

I have spent more time than you can imagine doing just that very thing.
And you're wrong. Read, Brian...and not just what your handlers tell you
or allow you to.

Your really are an arrogant bigot.

[...]

Id like to see you predict the future.

Why aren't you addressing any of those -other- quotes? For instance, the
nasty stuff about Jews? You just had this little exchange with Leo Marx:

quote

Christians in the US make my head hurt when they preach nothing but
hate, intolerance and damnation.

JAM
You might expound on what you mean. I dont get that kind of preaching
in my
church.

end quote

Im not sure what it is you want me to address here. If I addressed every
ridiculous topic in here, Id have to do this professionally. Do
you...have a job??

You missed the stuff that speaks to your character, Brian...the important
stuff if you want to be taken seriously as an emissary of your Lord.
Except for the stuff about the Jews. Kudos.

I dont seem to have missed anything that needed to be addressed.

[...]

I can see a fatal lack of trust in a Creator God here. Id much rather
believe him than mans reason.

Now, do you think I want blessings or cursings? I think you can figure
that out. I dont know where people get the ideas of hate for Jewish
people, other than a very misplaced blame of them for the crucifixion.
We are ALL to blame for that.

I'm not.

Actually yes you are, even if you dont believe it.

[...]

You certainly couldnt bear the torment for your own sin, much less the sin
of every human that ever lived. How dare you equate yourself with God. I
hope and pray he forgives you for those words.

speaks to other issues, he may or may not be right. Im sure somewhere
along the line you hold positions that might be right, as well as wrong??

Oh, absolutely. I'm thoroughly embarassed at how totally wrong I've been
about things in the past. See the part above, where I mentioned that I
used to be a true believer, for example.

why he doesnt speak up for himself, I assume he has better things to do
that wasting all his time in here trying to fend of the bigots and
religion haters.

The why did he show up in the first place? And why won't you deny or
affirm your connection with his being here at all?

I have no idea, and I dont need to. Not even to you, your royal highness.

[...]

Didnt go over my head at all. I just dont think the kind of bigoted diatribe
youre trying to put on me is worth anything less than a flitting reply.

[...]

Ding dong, there goes that bigot bell again. Ring it louder.

to do the same...he's failing me miserably. Why should I trust his
judgment in matters of such import as my immortal soul, when I clearly
can't trust him to be a man and step up to the plate here?

Step up to the plate because someone THINKS he should have to answer to
them? Who are YOU sir? Who do you THINK YOU really ARE?

I'm the guy that caught your little pal lying,

ring ring ring

that's who. I'm the guy that's judging the tree by its fruits, to put it
in terms you can more easily relate to. I'm allowed to do that, you
know...Jesus told me to. Are you questioning his authoritah? (That
probably went over everyone's head. No matter...I got a kick out of it.)

See, its that kind of statment that shows your hypocracy. You have no claim
on anything Jesus "told you" to do after denouncing Him in previous parts of
this "post". For you to lean on Him in that manner just shows that you dont
have a leg of your own to stand on, evne when you do so in pseudomockery.

[...]

ring ring ring OH wait, Ill venture a guess as to why our names keep coming
up together. Maybe someone out there, maybe even you! has started some kind
of hate list. Could that be true? Otherwise, I have no other clue as to why
we would be grouped together for anything other than appearing in this ng.

[...]

Well, the commander in chief has the direct authority to move troops as he
wishes, and he has the authority or executive order. As far as your claim
that I dont read, Ive probably read more books than you have in your house.
So dont come off with your holier than thou attitude that you are educated.
You spend time with me sir. Im sure someone educated wouldnt bother
now....would they...

"Fundies" is a hateful term used by liberals for "Fundamentalist"
Christians who understand that the Bible is the literal word of God,
and MUST be the basis for all VALID civil laws.

Nothing wrong or inaccurate with that statement, except for maybe the
grammar of the second sentence...

If I was going to assault something in there, it would be that they don't
understand that the Bible is literal, they believe it to be. And which
part of the Bible will you derive your valid law from?

The Bible is a comprehensive document. Unless you examine it as such, you
can make a lot of exegetical and hermanutical mistakes, which is what you
seem to be good at. You like to pick and choose the bad parts that you dont
like, and then lift up the parts that make you seem good in your own eyes.
Until you learn to talk about the Bible with some scholarly authority, I
believe Id be wasting my time trying to answer your obviously loaded
question.

end quote

What's frightening is that you guys wrap yourselves in the flag as "True
Patriots" while you dream of trampling people with the Bible in your
hand. What's more frightening is that your other hand is typically
holding a noose.

Again, I hear a ring if bigitory here.

Get your ears checked; that's the sound of patriotism. You're a threat to
people who don't believe as you do. Should homosexuals be stoned?

I see youre very Old Testament versed. Try reading the New Testament as
well. Jesus said:

John 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said
unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at
her.

Should we change the law to allow it? Surely God wouldn't object, and then
it's be legal on all fronts. How about stoning atheists? It's legal in some
parts...does God approve?

See above...

You really should try walking into a good Bible believing church and
spend some time with some real Christians. Walk a mile in their shoes.
Theyve walked many in yours already.

Been there. Done that. Tithed. Received. Voted appropriately. Even paraded
in front of the abortion clinic with the sign.

Did you ever stop to tell one of those women that were going in there that
Jesus, and you, loved them?

If you did, did you mean it?

Old June 21st 08, 06:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brian Oakley[_2_]

"PC" wrote in message
. ..

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

Well, Ive made a few coin posts in here, but only when I cant find out
the info for mysel usually. Most of the answer I get are accuseatory,
much the same as the one you just asked. It really doesnt matter if we
are welcomed, we are part of the community just like everyone else,
except those that toot their "tolerance" horns dont seem to be so
tolerant of those that name the name of Jesus.

You forgot to add "in the name of intolerance" at the end.

No, I didnt forget. Ring ring goes the bigot bell here too I see.

Coins of the Bible Jump Master[_2_] Coins 8 January 4th 08 02:39 AM
Value of old German Bible drhender Books 3 May 23rd 06 04:23 PM
Antique Bible chattykathy Books 2 October 27th 05 03:55 AM
1543 Bible Dick Stephens Books 1 July 28th 03 05:43 PM