Help with silver eagles

Old November 7th 03, 01:37 PM
Donald Young

Default Help with silver eagles

I have several silver eagles that are getting a yellow tint to them. Is
there any acceptable way to bring the luster back to these coins. Any help
will be appreciated
Don

--
Visit me on Ebay.
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/donyoung6/

Old November 7th 03, 04:21 PM
Coin Saver

From: "Donald Young"

I have several silver eagles that are getting a yellow tint to them. Is there

any acceptable way to bring the luster back to these coins.

They are beginning to tone - this might increase thei value. Leave them alone.

8-/

Coin Saver
Old November 7th 03, 05:04 PM
Donald Young

O.K. Thanks.

Old November 7th 03, 05:51 PM
DONDI3

In article reNqb.137112$Fm2.114412@attbi_s04, "Donald Young"
writes:

I have several silver eagles that are getting a yellow tint to them. Is
there any acceptable way to bring the luster back to these coins. Any help
will be appreciated
Don

Depends what the yellow tone is being caused by. Some PVC first shows up with
a yellowish cast. If your coins are in soft plastic flips, they are beginning
to recieve damage from the PVC used to soften the slips. This damage, in later
stages, is permanent and irreversable. You need to get them out of the flips,
if that's the case.

If it's the stains known as "mile spotting" this also is permanent and was
apparently caused by faulty mint processing of those coins. It is most common
on American Silver Eagles, although I've seen it on other coin occasionally.
These stains are frequently light to moderate in itensity and usually white-ish
in appearance, although they may have a yellowish cast to them. Viewing the
coin at different angles makes them appear stronger or weaker as you move the
coin. At some angles and lighting, you can't see them at all. There's nothing
that can be done to remove the unsightly blemishes...although Crest brand
toothpaste with a light brushing with a toothbrush lessens the impact, it does
not return the coin to the original appearance.

If your coins are exposed to air, they will tone over time and this may
actually make them more attractive to some buyers. Colors vary according to the
purities in the air that are causing it. Toning may be yellow, brown, red,
blue, green or almost any color in between. It is a natural effect of the
impurities in our air and cannot be avoided unless the coins are kept in a
air-free environment. It can removed with a quick bath in commercial coin
"dips" but repeated dippings lessen the overall luster of the coin. Thorough
rinsing is a must.

You can often tell the difference between natural toning and PVC damage and
other spotting by the "graduallness" with which the tone fades over different
parts of the surface...it rarely has sharply defined edge or borders between
the toned area and the untoned area...whereas, "mile spotting" usually has
sharp borders between the spots and the undamaged area...also usually true of
artificial or chemically induced toning. Early PVC discoloration, when viewed
under a magnifier show up like tiny droplets of liquid on the surface, but the
overall appearance may be of a light tone to the unaided eye.

Hope this helps.

dondi3
DONDI enterprises. BUY, SELL, TRADE. RARE COINS & PRECIOUS METALS
Member COINNET, CSNS, ANA, INA, MOON, ILNA.
Old November 7th 03, 05:52 PM
Keith Fletcher

Really, shiny eagles are common. Toned ones can command quite a premium.
Whatever environment they've been in, keep 'em there as long as the toning
looks 'pretty'. I've seen beautifully toned ASE's go for hundreds.

If the toning turns ugly you can have someone dip 'em.

--Keith

Old November 7th 03, 07:43 PM
Bill Krummel

"Donald Young" wrote in message
O.K. Thanks.

From: "Donald Young"

I have several silver eagles that are getting a yellow tint to them. Is

there
any acceptable way to bring the luster back to these coins.

They are beginning to tone - this might increase thei value. Leave them

alone.

8-/

Coin Saver

Don, several have pointed out that if the eagles are toning and tone
attractively, it will increase their value. Here is a silver eagle I sold
on ebay;

http://showcase.netins.net/web/bills...gle1988no2.JPG

The bidding went over a hundred dollars. Two years before I listed this, I
had looked at the coin and the toning was a dark orange/yellow around the
borders. Two years later, I pulled some eagles out and what is seen in the
above link is a very accurate image of most of the eagles. I do need to
say, though, that these eagles were owned by my accountant and I was
supposed to sell them on eBay for him. He had each eagle wrapped in
kleenex, and that is the way I left them. They were stored by him in
kleenex for the first 11 years, with the result of heavy yellow rim toning.
Two years in a room at my house, and the coins changed to what you see.

I am trying to say that if the storage methods AND the environment are
right, the coin may continue to tone nicely. If either are not right, the
toning could be neutral or negative. Bill

Old November 7th 03, 07:50 PM
Donald Young

Thanks Bill,
That was a really beautiful coin.
Don

From: "Donald Young"

[...]

FS: Surplus Silver Eagles BAJJERFAN Coins 0 October 19th 03 04:15 PM
Coin Toning Question ynotan Coins 3 October 6th 03 09:28 AM
Coin Talk Needs You Peter T Davis Coins 51 September 16th 03 01:19 AM
Silver Eagles Ed Hendricks Coins 5 July 30th 03 08:03 PM
FS: Silver Eagles and 100 oz. Engelhard bars Michael Jacobs Coins 0 July 17th 03 11:04 PM