Corner Card Covers

Old March 19th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jim Pettway[_2_]

Default Corner Card Covers

Does anyone collect current U.S. corner card covers? Who are these
collectors? Where are these collectors? I was sorting through a stack of
envelopes (covers) from my daily mail last week when these questions came to
mind. I noticed some really colorful and unusual envelopes.

Jim Pettway

Old March 19th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

G'day Jim,

Corner Cards,
Pinnacles,
Cameos,
Advertising Collars
Hotels and buildings

what a great hobby we have
see here
http://alphabetilately.com/A.html

One can get hooked at a bourse looking through boxes of these,
before you know it 3 hrs have slipped by

. ..

Old March 19th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:05:19 -0400, "Jim Pettway"
wrote:

Does anyone collect current U.S. corner card covers? Who are these
collectors? Where are these collectors? I was sorting through a stack of
envelopes (covers) from my daily mail last week when these questions came to
mind. I noticed some really colorful and unusual envelopes.

I don't know about you, but a dealer friend is selling these all the
time in his quarterly auction. There must be a market for them,
because they always seem to go out the door.

Advertising covers back then were not like the junk mail we receive
today, that's for sure. Amazing what time will do...
Old March 19th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Mar 19, 1:04�am, "Rod" wrote:
G'day Jim,

Corner Cards,
Pinnacles,
Cameos,
Advertising Collars
Hotels and buildings

what a great hobby we have
see herehttp://alphabetilately.com/A.html

One can get hooked at a bourse looking through boxes of these,
before you know it 3 hrs have slipped by

"Jim Pettway" wrote in message

. ..

Does anyone collect current U.S. corner card covers? *Who are these
collectors? *Where are these collectors? *I was sorting through a stack of
envelopes (covers) from my daily mail last week when these questions came

mind. *I noticed some really colorful and unusual envelopes.

Jim Pettway- Hide quoted text -

To me it looks like the response was a bit off track from the original
post.
"current" was the original point.
I have no clue what "card corners" are.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old March 19th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 19, 12:04 pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 00:21:58 -0500, found these
unused words floating about:

wrote:

Does anyone collect current U.S. corner card covers? Who are these
collectors? Where are these collectors? I was sorting through a stack of
envelopes (covers) from my daily mail last week when these questions came to
mind. I noticed some really colorful and unusual envelopes.

I don't know about you, but a dealer friend is selling these all the
time in his quarterly auction. There must be a market for them,
because they always seem to go out the door.

Advertising covers back then were not like the junk mail we receive
today, that's for sure. Amazing what time will do...

Dunno, there are some very small users still utilizing the upper left / left
side of the envelopes in creative advertising.

The huge mass mailings (if they use any form of envelope advertising) are,
well, boring.

I agree. Oh to see covers like this in my junk mail.

http://alphabetilately.com/Trains/0295-cover.jpg
http://alphabetilately.com/Trains/0295-adv-a.jpg
http://www.intayrnet.com/collectable...es/monarch.jpg
http://www.intayrnet.com/collectable...res/vandus.jpg
http://www.maresch.com/417/photos/a1772.jpg
http://www.maresch.com/417/photos/a1711.jpg
http://www.maresch.com/417/photos/a1762.jpg
http://www.maresch.com/417/photos/a1791.jpg
http://www.la-posta.com/SubAuc76-PIP...Ad%20Cover.jpg
http://www.immediateannuities.com/mu...ed/1350006.JPG

Blair

Old March 19th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

Most definitely. These are what I'm talking about. This is one area
where my dealer friend makes some contacts. People are readily
grabbing them in his auctions, AFAIK.
Old March 20th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bobstamp

Covers like the one Blair pointed us to, at
http://www.la-posta.com/SubAuc76-PIP...Ad%20Cover.jpg,
are representative of illustrated mail. Section Nine of the VANPEX
2009 exhibition is reserved for illustrated mail; this is the first
year we have included this section, which is described in the APS'
fifth edition of the Manual of Philatelic Judging.

Corner cards are envelopes with printed return address information on
them, in the upper left corner. I assume that the term came from the
fact that the information is similar to that found on a simple
business card. Corner cards are highly collectible. A friend of mine
collects postal history related to small-town newspapers and mining in
British Columbia. Many of his covers, some of them incredibly rare and
very expensive, are corner cards.

Corner cards obviously morph into illustrated mail when typographers
and artists and engravers decide to get fancy. Deciding if a cover
represents illustrated mail or is "just" a corner card is subjective,
like so much of philately.

Bob