Seek Bulgaria ID

Old March 21st 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Default Seek Bulgaria ID

I've exhausted my patience with these two.
Designs suggests they live close by,
The sunflowers could be hiding under...
Economic Progress
5 year plan
Agricultural
Medicinal plants
Flowers
etc & etc
help!
http://cjoint.com/data/dvoIPgc1Ab.htm

BTW: Is there any particular era in Bulgarian history
when "Bulgarie" appeared , or just this issue?

Old March 21st 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Moth: August 26, 1968 series.
Sunflower: 1938 series.
HTH.
--
Tony Vella (Ottawa, Canada)
http://indian-biographies.shorturl.com/

Old March 21st 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Rod wrote :
I've exhausted my patience with these two.
Designs suggests they live close by,
The sunflowers could be hiding under...
Economic Progress
5 year plan
Agricultural
Medicinal plants
Flowers
etc & etc
help!
http://cjoint.com/data/dvoIPgc1Ab.htm

Hi Rod,

The 15 ct (for stotinki) stamp (sunflower) comes from a set of 20 stamps
on "National Products" issued in 1938.

This one is Scott 319 (Yvert 302).
Minimal cat.value.

I have now no time left now to search for the 1 ct one (butterfly).

BTW: Is there any particular era in Bulgarian history
when "Bulgarie" appeared , or just this issue?

Bulgarie is the French for Bulgaria.
Normally, according to the UPU regulations, all the stamps from all the
world (apart the UK which has the priviledge as the 1st stamp issuing
nation to show only the Queen's head) should have the name of the
country in latin letters.
Thus the cyrillic letters (alone) should be normally banned.
Bulgaria translated its name either in French either in English or did
not.
This practice varied during the years.

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

to answer me, please replace NOSPAM by my family name

Old March 21st 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 21, 10:45 am, "Rod" wrote:
I've exhausted my patience with these two.
Designs suggests they live close by,
The sunflowers could be hiding under...
Economic Progress
5 year plan
Agricultural
Medicinal plants
Flowers
etc & etc
help!http://cjoint.com/data/dvoIPgc1Ab.htm

BTW: Is there any particular era in Bulgarian history
when "Bulgarie" appeared , or just this issue?

Hello Rodney:

This stamp shows a giant Silk Moth (perisomena caecigena)
also known as the Autumn Emperor Moth .

Here is the male:
http://tpittaway.tripod.com/silk/p_cae_a1.jpg

Here is the female:
http://tpittaway.tripod.com/silk/p_cae_a3.jpg

The stamp was issued on 1968 August 26 and is Yvert #1610
(face value = 1 st) . There were 5 insect stamps (all 1 st.) in the
set .
Michel numbers were : Mi 1826 - 1830
Here is a scan of the set.
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imag.../stamp1891.jpg

Cheers
Blair

Old March 21st 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Rod" wrote in message
snip
http://cjoint.com/data/dvoIPgc1Ab.htm

BTW: Is there any particular era in Bulgarian history
when "Bulgarie" appeared , or just this issue?

An interesting question. I don't know why they started to write the name of
the country in French in 1938 (maybe in the hope of escaping a war that
later brought with it an occupation for 45 years). I have found another set
(of Dec. 1940) where the name Boulgarie reappears.

Because the Bulgars use both alphabets, it is often that on one stamp of a
set the name of the country appears in Cyrillic, and on the other one in
Latin (as Bulgaria, example from 1953, Marx). When there is more place, both
versions of the name appears, like on the 1953 sheet Plants. Later only the
version in Cyrillic is used, probably to please the big liberator from the
North...

And much later (1989?) both versions appear together on stamps.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old March 21st 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

An interesting question. I don't know why they started to write the name
of
the country in French in 1938 (maybe in the hope of escaping a war that
later brought with it an occupation for 45 years). I have found another

set
(of Dec. 1940) where the name Boulgarie reappears.

Thanks for that Victor,
It was circa 1938 that Bulgaria seems to me to have shaken off
the, up till then, European ubiquitous design patterns, the central
ovals with portraits, spandrels and script design.
When I first started collecting, I thought Bulgaria had a certain
cinderella feel, the topic designs often used bland colours
and niggard inticacies in design, however, when you see the set
in the larger panorama, you can see a distinct country-centric design.

It amazes me how countries maintain their individualities seemingly
right through their catalogue, Czechoslovakia, Mongolia and Bulgaria
are instantly recognisable in their individuality, but Bulgaria certainly
is the hardest to catalogue for a language challenged fellow like myself

Old March 21st 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Thank you all individually, gentlemen!

I did note some fell for the 3 card trick,
assuming the winged warrior to be a butterfly
when it was a moth hehehehe

Then it's listed under "insects" Grrrrr