And just a few more questions about cleaning books .... what to use?

Old June 17th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default And just a few more questions about cleaning books .... what to use?

I ordered up a wide selection of book care potions from Talas and
Brodart. I was wondering if anyone has experience with Absorbene or
Clean Cover Gel for tidying dirty cloth book covers? I have set aside
a small pile of book discards (sniff) to use as guinea pigs.

I also have Groomstick and Opaline pads for cleaning eps. Of the two I
am most impressed with the groomstick which sucks up remarkable amounts
of soil from pages.

But I am wondering about the long term results from cleaning with these
products. I have always relied on dusting or vacuuming.

And for leather bound books, which, if any, products are generally
considered best for cleaning or conditioning covers? (I chose a
selection of Talas' leather care products to play with.)

Any other book care products that are great, or, awful?

Thanks for any tips or comments you care to make!

Nancy

PS: I thank those who have posted on my other thread about book jacket
covers. I am perplexed about how to post there and acknowledge your
replies. My queries about tape and adhesives were occasioned by many of
the jacket covers being offered with adhesive tabs and strips. I agree
that neither are good for books, but for library books that circulate
it's one of the lesser evils, I suppose. My own books will escape that
fate.