Sue....

Old March 24th 08, 09:28 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Bill Plenge

Default Sue....

Sue H wrote:
I am guessing that's a good question to discuss... why be a member of
the UACC if you are not going to abide by their code/mantra or
whatever. I would assume that when you join, you take an oath of
sorts (at least agree somewhere to follow); however it's up to the
organization to make sure their members are kosher. Applicants should
go through a screening process and then after, they should
occasionally police their members. Otherwise, what are you paying for
other than the privledge of having a name attached to legally sell
forgeries etc? I am sure a lot of forgers squeaked by or at least try
to. It's obvious the entity probably started somewhere with two
people starting a group (like any two of us) and had ideas. Just like
the owners of this newsgroup... where are they? What's the history?
I haven't looked but hopefully they have an archive somewhere; a file
cabinet with all their stuff. One day who knows, could grow to be
like Masons, Elks, or any other type organization where history will
be important (for staying power, longevity and documentation will be
needed).

But they aren't big enough (probably just a few guys running it?
Maybe even one or two?) to police everything. You do need to do what
my hubby had to do for his job... it's called QAE or Quality Assurance
Evaluations. You spot check say quarterly x amount of people to spot
check and then give them warnings etc as needed.

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 21:22:43 -0700 (PDT), barefoot
wrote:

They do expect their members to follow the code of ethics, the hall of shame
at their website shows what happens when they don't. I use to be a member,
but stopped renewing when I became inactive in the hobby. If I ever gt back
to collecting I'll probably rejoin. The peace of mind of knowing a dispute
on an item with another party can be arbitrated is worth it. I also enjoyed
attending their shows and did my best not to drool on too many autographs
when I did Unfortunately the last show of their I wanted to attend I
didn't go to, and think it was canceled, it was in NYC the weekend after
9/11. Now that I relocated to Minnesota I doubt I'll ever have the chance
to attend another.

Best,
Bill

yeah sorry...my mistake. uacc is the uacc...lots of people are
members..but why be a member if you're not going to uphold the uacc
guidelines or regualtions.

by the way, i would LOVE to be totally wrong about this guy...but the
simple fact of the matter is, is that i am not...i would totally love
to rally around the people doing it right...but instead of addressing
the accusations, he chooses to try and discredit me...and i'm all for
that...but when the truth comes out and other people see it like i
see it...he's going to have a hard time discrediting EVERYONE!

Old March 24th 08, 09:37 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Bill Plenge

Sue H wrote:
IS there a designation fo dealer compared to member? In another
words, is there a letter or different sort of number or something that
we can know who is a dealer versus just a member?

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:59:32 -0500, "Gummby3"
wrote:

Thanks for checking that. I thought that it didn't read right
either when I read the previous message. I thought Strickler said
that he was a member only. That is a very common misconception
about a member and a registered dealer.

All the UACC registered dealers are listed at their site uacc.org They do
actively pursue people who falsely claim to be UACC registered dealers.
Posting the list on their site was part of the campaig to combat people
claiming to be UACC RDs who weren't, many weren't even UACC members. On the
last page of the Hall of Shame is a list of people who have falsely claimed
to be UACC members and/or registered dealers.

Best,
Bill

Old March 25th 08, 12:52 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
medieval

Unfortuntely, the UACC has fallen under a lot of suspicion the past few
years. A few of the officers and others have been accused of misconduct
which has led to many people, including some registered dealers, to leave
the club. As well, the rules for registered dealer admission and other
were changed arbitrally at a national meeting where a quoram was not
present. Much of this is documented at
http://www.autographalert.com/news.html

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutcollecting.com/g...ng.autographs/
More information at http://www.talkaboutcollecting.com/faq.html

Old March 25th 08, 01:03 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
medieval

Here's another link that has more articles about the UACC and it's
problems
http://www.autographalert.com/archives.html

Old March 25th 08, 02:34 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

All helpful info; thanks for all the input. It may not be perfect but
at the time it's all we have.

Old March 25th 08, 05:49 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
barefoot

i think it's funny how in strickler's mind, everyone is accused of
misconduct...but not his, he's infallable.

Old March 25th 08, 06:52 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Gummby3

Ultimately, nobody is guilty unless there is evidence that can not be
disputed. Keep in mind that people have put your reputation on task
several times, but I discard those too as nobody has every provided
evidence that is more than hearsay. I know that you have provided the
"a" is the same avenue, but that is far from concrete. I showed that
with the Hall IP compared to his Hall for sale. I personally know
people that have an "a" at the beginning of one of their names that
makes that basic design. Celebs, I can name one more off the top of
my head: Arsenio Hall. If I recall, his signature was even part of
the opening credits of his talk show, at one time. I understand that
you feel that you are doing the collecting community a service, and I
applaud you for that, but all I'm reading right now is inconclusive
assumptions, just as they were with you.

--

Mike
Gummby3

Old March 25th 08, 07:04 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sign4Me

Sorry Mike (gummby3), but you are wrong here. Over 80% of autographs out
there are fake and ALL sellers need to be held to high standards, so while
you say there is no solid evidence, what gives you the right to stand up for
this guy. Did you go and look at his 15 Harrison Ford autographs to compare
to known in-person ones or did you just assume he must have done signings
with all of Star Wars and Harry Potter, etc? Did you look at his dozen Star
Wars cast signed photos to see if they were even remotely close? You're
wrong here. No seller deserves a defense unless you take the time to
confirm they are one of the 20% of the good guys out there. Until then,
Sue, Barefoot, and anyone else who wants to call out forgers, please keep
doing so. None of the references this guy touted about has come on here in
his defense. Let's hear from them! If you bought even 1 autograph from
Strickler Sports, get it looked at by your favorite trusted source and let
us know what they say. If you haven't, go look at this guys stuff. Enough
is enough! This one is a no brainer.

"barefoot" wrote in message
i think it's funny how in strickler's mind, everyone is accused of
misconduct...but not his, he's infallable.

News==----
http://www.pronews.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Old March 25th 08, 07:34 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Gummby3

I'm not defending or condemning anybody. I'm giving the benefit of
the doubt, which I provide to anybody. We're in a community of
faceless screen names where anybody can say anything about anyone and
not have to suffer the consequences. Unless there is hard evidence
that Strickler is forging or has forged anything, it's unfounded.
Have I purchased anything from him? No. I can't afford the
extravagant prices that come with some of the autographs. I'm simply
reading what's being posted, which seems to have come out of left
field very recently. Just as I read all of the posts about Barefoot
and the very odd accusations (non-autograph related) with a grain of
salt, I'm doing the same here. It's just my opinion. Unless there is
hard evidence: complaints, police reports, investigations (that are
provable), then it's he said/he said and I'm just as right as the next
person. I have been in this hobby, not the business that it's morphed
into, for almost 30 years. I know that there are a lot of forged
autographs out there. Anybody that claims otherwise is mislead. Did
I go look at the autographs? No. Why should I. I am not an expert
and my findings would be baseless. I definitely am not posting this
to get into a dispute. I am simply posting my opinion. Everyone is
entitled to an opinion until facts prove otherwise. :-)

--

Mike
Gummby3
-= Star Collector =-
www.star-collector.net
Celebrity addresses the way they should be - free.

. ..

Old March 25th 08, 02:22 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

I know all the dealers who do signings with Star Wars and harry Potter
people. I would agree he's not one. ESPECIALLY Ford. That's a hard
one to get and only two have done it. Three if you count Master
Replicas a few years ago. Still, that is not to say he didn't get
them at cons or in person. However, I still have not looked (have a
lot of people coming today for pickups on items I've given away and
out later so probably not time today either). But with all the
controversy, it's been my mantra that if your gut tells you something,
it's probably true. When you first look at something you get this
feeling within seconds... first it COULD be excitement, but then you
get this "red flag" thing that if you ignore, you're pretty much
screwed.

PS Send me a link to a specific Star Wars item that you think is bad;
I can quickly look at that probably.