Is there a way to moderate this group after all these times?

Old March 5th 08, 12:55 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
chip1057

Default Is there a way to moderate this group after all these times?

There is information on the main page of alt.collecting.autographs
with the first started, and who were the first people to talk on the
group. The email addresses have not worked for me when I tried to
contact the first person who opened the group.

Chip

On Mar 4, 1:34 pm, "Gummby3" wrote:
I admit that my knowledge of newsgroups is relegated to posting and reading messages, but there has to be someone "in charge" somewhere. This newsgroup did not just appear out of nowhere. :-) Someone had to have created it. I assume that whoever did create it must have gotten bored with it and let the group go on it's own to transmute into what we have today... The key is to find out who the "powers that be" are and see what can be done.

--

Mike
Gummby3

"Todd F." wrote in ...
No way to really do it here, but those who can, can take responsibility to
make the member not be allowed elsewhere.

Todd F.
--
Todd's Autograph Arena
http://www.toddsautographarena.com

"Sue H" wrote in message
I wonder if we need a moderator. Will anyone do it? Posts like the
"you like being screwed" are not needed here. People like that need
to be in killfile.

Old March 5th 08, 12:58 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
chip1057

This link provides the first post of alt.collecting.autographs back in
1993. Started by someone named SpamceMan.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c.../month/1993-03

Chip

On Mar 4, 1:53 pm, Sue H wrote:
I think that's the problem. We don't know who the powers that be are!

Sometimes, many moons ago, this way of communicated was started by one
person. Probably back in the early 80's. Who was that!

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:34:31 -0600, "Gummby3"

Old March 5th 08, 02:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

Yeah; it's bizarre; you know like computers that take over the world.
They get a life of their own. Someone starts something then it runs
rampant and renegade. I think that's what's happened here. Truth be
told the "powers that be" should be the people who invented the whole
thing. If this is truly public and has NOBODY or noone ever policing
it we could see some truly bizarre stuff happening (worse than we can
imagine); psychopaths running amuck without recourse. Kind of scary.

Old March 5th 08, 02:23 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

That looks like THIS group. Who started newsgroups as a whole? Who
invented it and posted the very first newsgroup? If we knew, we could
find out who they were, their intent, if they have any legal claim to
what they've become etc.

Old March 5th 08, 02:43 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

The original starter of this group is Oliver Scholtz who is now Senior
Program Manager at Microsoft Corporation (WOW). I don't think he's
small enough to come back here and settle this but I am game to
contact him!

Old March 5th 08, 03:35 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Bill Plenge

wrote:
I admit that my knowledge of newsgroups is relegated to posting
and reading messages, but there has to be someone "in charge"
somewhere. This newsgroup did not just appear out of nowhere.
:-) Someone had to have created it. I assume that whoever did
create it must have gotten bored with it and let the group go on
it's own to transmute into what we have today... The key is to
find out who the "powers that be" are and see what can be done.

What I find odd is that I know the "rules" of this group have been posted
since I started following it, around 10 years ago, yet searching the google
link for this group shows no FAQs posting here -- ever. Perhaps I'm more
senile then I thought.

Best,
Bill

Old March 5th 08, 04:30 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

wrote:
I admit that my knowledge of newsgroups is relegated to posting
and reading messages, but there has to be someone "in charge"
somewhere. This newsgroup did not just appear out of nowhere.
:-) Someone had to have created it. I assume that whoever did
create it must have gotten bored with it and let the group go on
it's own to transmute into what we have today... The key is to
find out who the "powers that be" are and see what can be done.

What I find odd is that I know the "rules" of this group have been posted
since I started following it, around 10 years ago, yet searching the google
link for this group shows no FAQs posting here -- ever. Perhaps I'm more
senile then I thought.

Best,
Bill

Yeah, I thought someone posted them once didn't they?

Old March 5th 08, 09:10 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Mr Black[_2_]

This group was created as a free speech public forum, and any form of
moderation would be considered censorship.

I would suggest that alt.collecting.autographs.moderated be created

MrB

--

ANNOYING USENET SINCE 1996