Too many vintage to have graded!

Old December 6th 03, 02:31 AM
Reggie

Default Too many vintage to have graded!

I have complete sets along with thousands of duplicates of baseball,
football and basketball from years 1958 thru 1962 that I bought as a
kid. I was an avid set building collector. Over the years I took
care of them and stored them. In the late 80's with the card boom I
took them from storage and learned about grading and I graded them for
myself.
I've put off having any graded by PSA so far because of the expense
and hassle of doing so and figuring I'd wait until the dust settled
with grading and the card market in general. Besides, I have hundreds
of cards that I'm sure are NM minimum. This includes an equal ratio
of commons to stars because when I was collecting them as a kid I
treated them all the same.
If I can't have them all graded because of the cost, would it be
smarter to cherry pick the absolute best cards (legitimate "9"
candidates) even if they are commons than the 7's & 8's of stars? I
have many nice 62Topps baseball, 61 Fleer football and especially 61
Fleer basketball. This is because they were not popular (at least with
me) and were not played with or handled much... just put them in cigar
boxes.
I think I'd rather have the fun of selling them individually than as a
lump to some large dealer...and I guess Ebay is the way to do that.
But that leads back to the grading question. Any ideas?
Old December 6th 03, 02:37 AM
SolomonDCramer

I'd take 5-10 of both your best condition cards, as well as your top star cards
(Mantles, key rookies). Grade those first, examine the cards closely before and
after they come back. This way, you'll have a better feel for how PSA actually
does grade, and you can make a better determination what cards should be graded
based on their criteria, instead of just your own inexperienced eye (based on
their standards, not your own history).
Old December 6th 03, 03:19 AM
PK Store

or i can buy them all from you $$$ then you don't have to worry about it?

Old December 6th 03, 01:31 PM
MikeCouil

Solomon,

On a TOTALLY different subject...I saw that lot you had on ebay about a month
ago. It looked like one of the better deals I've seen on ebay in quite a
while. If I hadn't just bought my wife a new van I would have taken a trip up
to New York and bought it.

Got anything else that nice coming up?

Mike

Old December 7th 03, 01:12 AM
SolomonDCramer

Mike,

We've got one auction up there right now with 1M+ cards, and are going to have
6 more running in the next few days all with a million cards each for people
who just want a ton of cards (ID vintageauctions on ebay for anyone
interested). That'll mostly clear out the one warehouse I want to close out -
then in January we'll start having some "smaller" auctions in terms of
quantity, but much better in terms of quality. I don't think many people
understand the logistics in selling 20,000,000 cards as we've done this last
quarter!

Old December 7th 03, 11:26 PM
SolomonDCramer

Not a matter of sitting on it, just takes time to go through everything. I
bought out four warehouese - probably 350,000,000 various cards (not all sports
- I just thew away 3 million Alien 3 cards!) - finally getting through the last
of them. Amazing how much stuff becomes good years after it's deemed worthless
- found 800 ct boxes of 91TT Giambis, a 5000 ct box of 89 Donruss Schillings,
etc. mixed in "commons"!!
Old December 15th 03, 08:07 PM
MikeCouil

Eww....

People can say what ever they want about 89 Donruss Schillings. They are still
junk to me. 91 TT Giambi's arent very high on my list either Good finds
for a seller though.

Mike

Old December 16th 03, 01:22 AM
SolomonDCramer

89 Donruss Schillings are trash. A 5000 ct box of 89 Donruss Schillings found a
month before the '01 World Series is a treasure.