Ok, this is a long shot, but... (Coin ID)

Old July 1st 04, 01:11 AM
Pete

Default Ok, this is a long shot, but... (Coin ID)

I thought I might as well try this out. This a fairly awful description
to ID from, I know, but it's the best I can do given the condition of
the coin.

Ok, it's copper, roughly the size of a British pre-1860 half penny, and
I'd feel generous grading it "poor". I'm fairly sure that a scan would
not give you any useful information.

Because of the size, I've looked at Spink's. I'm fairly sure it isn't
British, because the legends on the obverse are much smaller, and the
date is in the wrong place.

The Obverse has a man, facing right, with legends around him. The date,
which appears to be 1780 (though the second digit may be a 5 or an 8),
is at 11:00-12:00. The legends are significantly smaller than those on
the coins of that era in Spinks - more the size you'd put them if you
wanted all the blurb they they put on the silver coins (Duke of
Hannover, Arch Treasurer of the Holy Roman Empire, and so on). The
legends themselves are nearly illegible - I can roughly make out ROX at
about 1:30 (though that might be wrong). There are no legends between
5:00 and 5:30 (because the head is in the way), and there may well not
be any until as far around as 8:00, or from as far as 4:00.

The man looks vaguely like William III on the 1696 ha'penny, or George
III on the 1770 ha'penny (as illustrated on Spinks 39th Ed. pages 345
and 386 respectively) - or how Jefferson and Washington look on today's
US coins. (And yes, I know they all look completely different).

Assuming a coin turn (so, as with US coins, the top of the obverse is on
the same bit of metal as the bottom of the reverse), on the reverse
there appears to be some kind of thick line running from about 8:30 to
just above the centre, and another running from 10:00 to just above
that. There could be stars, or lines running from the lower of the two
lines above - there is too much wear to tell. I'm going to stop there
because I keep seeing different things in it that look famililar but are
probably coincidental.

Now, obviously in such bad condition, it isn't worth anything above melt
(and that might be a bit much). I'm more looking for ideas as to what
it might be - preferably with pictures that I can compare against.

Thanks in advance...
--
Pete
Remove removes to reply by e-mail