An Interesting Barber Quarter Experience

Old January 21st 05, 05:43 PM
Larry Louks

Default An Interesting Barber Quarter Experience

Howdy, friends!

I've been doing eBay for several years now. After a 25-year spell of doing
absolutely nothing in the way of collecting, I decided to put together a set
of Barber Quarters in G-VG. I bought a number of them on eBay and in a year
or so, I had gathered up all but the "big three" in that series. I bought
the 1914-S from an eBay vendor. When I received the coin, I didn't like the
way the mint mark looked. I wrote to the seller and told him that I was a
tad uneasy about the mint mark. He said that he had looked it over when he
had bought it and he felt that there was no problem with it.

A week or so went by... I continued to have misgivings and still was not
pleased with it. (This has been more than three years ago, so I may not be
remembering everything with razor-sharp accuracy.) I wrote and told him that
I would like to return it for a refund. He said that he would take it back
if I was not pleased with it. He then said that he had something in mind and
for me to wait a few days before I sent the coin back. Several days later, I
received a parcel from him, with perhaps a hundred coins in it. Most were
Barber coins, but there were also some SLQs and Franklin halves in the lot.
Enclosed was a note saying that he was grieved that I had not been happy
with my purchase, and that he wanted me to select and keep any four of the
coins as a goodwill gesture from him.

At that time, I had just started a set of G-VG Barber Halves. So I picked
out four halves that had nice, full rims, and at least three of the four
were solid VG coins. I sent the rest back, as he had instructed. Before I
sent them back, I got to thinking that this guy was really bending over
backwards to ensure that I was pleased. In consequence, I decided to go
ahead and keep the 1914-S quarter... I figured that the 4 halves were worth
no less than $30, which left me ending up paying about $20 for the '14-S
quarter.

This QX5 Digital Blue microscope that I got for Christmas is one of the
coolest things I've ever had. I've examined all sorts of stuff with it. I
just happened to think of that quarter this morning and the qualms that I
had felt when I had first looked at the mint mark. Here are some shots that
I just now took of it. See what you think:

At 10x:
http://www.freshonmymind.com/ebay/14-s-10.jpg

At 60x.
http://www.freshonmymind.com/ebay/14-s-60.jpg

At 200x.
http://www.freshonmymind.com/ebay/14-s-200.jpg

From what I see with this scope, I think someone did a poor job of
"doctoring" this one. I've learned a lot about coins and things to look for
since this took place. I'm now far more wary, watchful, and observant. I'll
just chalk this one up to experience, but I believe the man beat me on this
one.

Your thoughts are welcomed!

Larry
'counting it as a lesson learned'

Old January 21st 05, 09:53 PM
Bruce H (BoxTurtle)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:43:49 -0600, "Larry Louks"
is alleged to have written:

At 10x:
http://www.freshonmymind.com/ebay/14-s-10.jpg

At 60x.
http://www.freshonmymind.com/ebay/14-s-60.jpg

At 200x.
http://www.freshonmymind.com/ebay/14-s-200.jpg

From what I see with this scope, I think someone did a poor job of
"doctoring" this one. I've learned a lot about coins and things to look for
since this took place. I'm now far more wary, watchful, and observant. I'll
just chalk this one up to experience, but I believe the man beat me on this
one.

Your thoughts are welcomed!

Larry
'counting it as a lesson learned'

I think you're correct. The tone on the mintmark is quite different
from the rest of the coin, theres a blob of metal at the top of the
miontmark and scratches all over the mintmark but not on the field.

Bruce

ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner and
Coyote do not mix.