Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Mothballed Postal Trucks...

Old July 13th 04, 10:41 PM

"WinWinscenario" wrote in message
He wrote back and said he
had a receipt that he had sent it First Class in November '03, but

since
I didn't insure it there wasn't anything he could do. (He had 100%
positive feedback.)

But doesn't it restore you faith in humanity, just a little bit, to know

that
the seller did indeed do what he said he would do, even though it was

wrong? I
mean, at least he didn't just rip you off! Isn't it better to know you

were
dealing with a putz than a thief?

Regards,
Tom

Well stated, thanks. This goes both ways, so I've decided to mail him back
the bubble packaging, along with a copy of our emails last Jan. (which were
surprisingly cordial) and a note explaining the coin condition. Not
expecting
much, but who knows? At least the ball will be in his court...

-Ron Buelow
and a note explaining the condition of the coin. Who knows?

Old July 14th 04, 01:40 PM
George D

Today a little bubble mailer showed up with an EF40 1888p Morgan,
and a strange message rubber-stamped on it: (They have a rubber stamp
for this?) Too bizarre, I'll keep the coin as a pocket piece...

Yes they do have that stamp. The bubble packs travel in bags and sometimes when the postal
people dump out the bags a piece of mail will get hung up and not fall out. Than the bag
gets put in another bag with about 20 more empty bags and that bag may not be reopende and
used for weeks or months.

You would be supprised what we have found in these bags over the years. Can you say urine
samples on there way to the lab? In the last few years the puantity of stuff has fallen
off as we only find something in maybe one in a thousand bags but it still happens
occasionally.

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Old July 14th 04, 03:03 PM
Scottishmoney

Ron;

Was the Morgan Dollar in Arizona for a while? Just wondering after reading
George's post.

Sorry George

Dave

--
Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, s'nan Gaisgeach - Saor Alba A-Nis!
"George D" wrote in message

[...]

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old July 14th 04, 03:47 PM
George D

Scottishmoney wrote:
Ron;

Was the Morgan Dollar in Arizona for a while? Just wondering after reading
George's post.

Sorry George

Dave

It looks like it. Those bags are accumulated in various places where the mail is delivered
but not much is generated and shipped in bulk to other places where there is a need for
them. Phoenix generates a lot of mail so our bags come from a lot of places. My guess the
bag was opened in California for resorting and the "empty" bag was sent to Phoenix for use
here and sat in a warehouse for some time before someone found it. Happens all the time,
actually not so much in the last few years sense letter size mail is now shipped in
plastic and cardboard trays.

Old July 14th 04, 05:36 PM
Harv

"George D" wrote in message

[...]

There was a post on Usenet way back years ago I wish I had saved, having to
do with a guy who worked at some big mail sorting center in Chicago, which
is infamous for bad mail delivery.. he told the tale of how once he saw a
couple huge bags of mail get tossed into an elevator to move up or down some
floors in the building, except the elevator car wasn't there at the time but
the doors were open. Oops!! The bags fell to the bottom of the shaft,
split open, and mail was scattered all over in a place and covered with
grimy ugly filthy water, grease, you name it and how no one wanted to go
down there and try to retrieve it. Then there are the other infamous
stories which are _not_ urban legends about Chicago letter carriers who
threw bundles of mail in dumpsters just to go home or hit a bar early that
day.

I have faint memories of the Postmaster General speaking in front of a
Congressional Committee some years ago and being questioned about the latter
incident, which made headlines all over the place. He was busy waxing
ecstatic about
how much the USPS had improved under his leadership when some
Congresscritter
brought it up, and it was broadcast on C-Span..

Considering the fact that the USPS delivers over a billion pieces of mail in
the USA
six days a week, it's not surprising that they would have a rubber stamp to
cover almost
any possible way in which a piece of mail could get mangled, damaged,
shredded by
Wolverines, or whatever.. but it is kinda funny..

Harv

Old July 14th 04, 11:40 PM
dml3dm

It happens from time to time.
Really not at all surprising considering that the USPS delivers 200+ Billion
pieces of mail a year.
Very appropriate (and descriptive) endorsement actually.
Old July 15th 04, 12:01 AM
Sanford

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:40:15 GMT, George D
wrote:

Today a little bubble mailer showed up with an EF40 1888p Morgan,
and a strange message rubber-stamped on it: (They have a rubber stamp
for this?) Too bizarre, I'll keep the coin as a pocket piece...

Yes they do have that stamp. The bubble packs travel in bags and sometimes when the postal
people dump out the bags a piece of mail will get hung up and not fall out. Than the bag
gets put in another bag with about 20 more empty bags and that bag may not be reopende and
used for weeks or months.

Prior to "bagging the bags" each empty bag should be "elbowed". This
means placing your elbow in one end of the top of the bag and your
hand at the other end. If this is done, no mail would be left in the
bag.

Sanford

Old July 15th 04, 01:49 AM
if-only-i-knew

Ron wrote in message ...
I won a BU 1888p Morgan on Ebay last Thanksgiving '03 for $30.
Paid by check, (I didn't insure it) and when the coin hadn't arrived
in Honolulu from W. Virginia by New Years day '04 I sent the seller
an email requesting he check his records. He wrote back and said he
had a receipt that he had sent it First Class in November '03, but since
I didn't insure it there wasn't anything he could do. (He had 100%
positive feedback.) Well, chalk one up to experience, I just let the
feedback die on this one, and made a resolution to insure everything
from then on (I'd been lucky, never had anything lost in the mail ever.)

Today a little bubble mailer showed up with an EF40 1888p Morgan,
and a strange message rubber-stamped on it: (They have a rubber stamp
for this?) Too bizarre, I'll keep the coin as a pocket piece...

(See pic) http://www.ealoha.com/downloads/postal.jpg

Moral of the story: (don't get me started...)

-Ron Buelow

I experience a similar experience. I sent a package by registered mail to
NGC for grading & somehow the tape sealed ink got wet and blurred. Needless
to say, my expensive package sat in a distribution hub for 60 days without
being sent to the graders (their address was fine). When I went to file a
claim for the $25,000 they quickly found it (only took them 2 weeks).

Old July 17th 04, 07:19 AM
Mineralogy

Several years ago I received this beat up water soaked package that had been
mailed three or four years earlier. With it was a letter from the USPS
saying that my package had been recovered in a well where mail thieves had
thrown it. Well, better late than never. Thankfully nothing valuable.

Old July 17th 04, 07:47 AM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
"Mineralogy" wrote:

Several years ago I received this beat up water soaked package that had been
mailed three or four years earlier. With it was a letter from the USPS
saying that my package had been recovered in a well where mail thieves had
thrown it. Well, better late than never. Thankfully nothing valuable.

Wow! "Theft To Well Effect." Put 'em in a wooden box - $599 each easy.
:-D

Scot Kamins
--
"Speak your truth, even as your voice quakes."