France~Happy New Year Cancel Num 116.

Old June 29th 09, 02:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default France~Happy New Year Cancel Num 116.

La Sameuse 15c
http://cjoint.com/data/gDpcIbQrAc.htm

Old June 29th 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

rodney wrote :
La Sameuse 15c
http://cjoint.com/data/gDpcIbQrAc.htm

Sameuse ? Well, I guess I could say 'sewer' instead of 'sower' from
time to time ;-)

The Post-office 116 in Paris was given this number in 1901 (Reaumur
street).

This 'happy new year' is most probably 1904, 1905 or 1906. In 1906 the
letter changed to 10c instead of 15c (a rare example of a tarif
decrease). Other post-card and printed matters tarifs were 10c or
lower.

Types & dyes considerations might restrict the guess further on,
however I am no longer so keen at trying my eyes on those line sowers
subtleties. And I am not so much familiar with the 15c, except that I
do LOVE type VI, the rotary printed roulette.(Types are according
french catalogues.)

Best regards,

--
Cordialement,
Bruno

Old June 29th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Oh dear. My apologies Bruno, a typo (and my spell checker failed to pick it
up ;-)
Thanks for the interesting preamble.
I thought you may mention papers
It is that awful cardboard hue, I cannot recall the reason.
Best Regards to you.
Rodney

Old June 29th 09, 03:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

http://cjoint.com/data/gDqAnPCfZH.htm

"rodney"
It is that awful cardboard hue, I cannot recall the reason.

Old June 30th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

rodney wrote :

http://cjoint.com/data/gDqAnPCfZH.htm

I thought you may mention papers
It is that awful cardboard hue, I cannot recall the reason.

sewer for sower was just a poor joke with words :-)

Would your "carboard hue" refer to GC or "Grande Consommation" papers ?
They are post WW1, 1917-1922, so not to be seen in 1904-1906.
(Poor quality paper, end and post war restrictions; the paper was bad
enough to be avoided for printing coils (roulettes). It would have
teared off too easily.)

Best regards,

--
Cordialement,
Bruno

Old June 30th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jun 29, 10:25*am, "rodney" wrote:
Oh dear. My apologies Bruno, a typo (and my spell checker failed to pick it
up ;-)
Thanks for the interesting preamble.
I thought you may mention papers
It is that awful cardboard hue, I cannot recall the reason.
Best Regards to you.
Rodney

Rodney:

At over 100 years of age, I suspect that we all
may have that "awful cardboard hue". 8*)

Blair

Old July 1st 09, 05:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Perhaps in Oz, it weathers our skin terribly,
but other who have been kept out of the sun (as with stamps)
fare better.
That paper on the French stamp was cardboard, not white paper,
I don't think it was tropic toning either.

"Blair"

Old July 1st 09, 06:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

I got the joke OK Bruno, it translated well
"bc92"
sewer for sower was just a poor joke with words :-)

That's it! "Grande Consommation" papers
I accept your explanation, but the paper on that stamp looks exactly the
same.

Old July 2nd 09, 08:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

The "Sydney Morning Herald" had this from their female editor
on the Queen's visit in 1954.
(Interesting to note after thousands of years, we still follow certain
conventions,
the Australian stamp to honour the Queens visit, was in Royal (Tyrian)
Purple.

"Her dress was simplicity itself, a flutter of champagne chiffon printed in
gold which had a tinge of green . . . Her little hat was a pretty conceit
which showed her softly waved hair . . . The Queen's complexion is flawless,
and paler than the impression gained from paintings and colour photographs.
Many a suntanned woman yesterday must have regretted the extra hours on the
beach."

Happy New Year Bruce Farley Coins 7 January 1st 08 05:08 AM
Happy New Year! gogu Coins 5 January 8th 07 11:49 PM
Happy New Year kodakoda Coins 0 December 29th 06 07:35 PM
Happy New Year! Nancy Handy Pens & Pencils 1 January 2nd 04 11:36 AM
Happy New Year.. Leap Year and related competition now on my web site Michael Marketplace 0 January 1st 04 02:00 AM