Do catalog publishers ever reformat their catalogs?

Old August 10th 03, 05:04 PM
Dakota

Default Do catalog publishers ever reformat their catalogs?

Another late night - last night - always late!

Sitting at my worktable last night slipping stamps into mounts,
snipping the mount, lick and stick and then on to the next one.

I've often faced an irritation with this because Scott (and Minkus)
and probably a lot more publishers do not allow room for a stamp in a
mount. In the old bygone days when all we had available were hinges,
there was plenty of room to mount stamps. Now with the added size of
mounts, I find that there isn't room to slap the stamp in the proper
spot. Stamps in mounts overlap the next row down or the next stamp in
the same row.

When there are several stamps in one row, I have to mount the stamps
in the middle of the row and then move outward.

This is especially true of Scott's Specialty albums. Scott makes
mounts, has no one at Scott noticed that there isn't room for the
mounts? The pages end up looking like crap.

Does anyone know if Scott has ever reformatted their album pages. Does
Scott simply make up pages for the latest issues and keep printing
from old plates?

Yes, I know, lots of people make up their own pages. I'm not
interested in hearing about how you do so. I don't have 6 hours free
time to make up a page for four or five stamps.

Only a minor irritation - but I might just let it fester and get out
of bounds. ;-))

Handshakes,

Dakota
Old August 10th 03, 05:42 PM
Frank Emanuel

"Dakota" wrote in message
om...
I've often faced an irritation with this because Scott (and Minkus)
and probably a lot more publishers do not allow room for a stamp in a
mount. In the old bygone days when all we had available were hinges,
there was plenty of room to mount stamps. Now with the added size of
mounts, I find that there isn't room to slap the stamp in the proper
spot. Stamps in mounts overlap the next row down or the next stamp in
the same row.

Why do you not just pre-mount the entire row? Doesn't help the verticle
problem, but should help the horizontal one. I use clear back mounts so I
can still see what is underneath (I use the Unity speciality ablum for my
Canadian collection and it would be a crying shame to place black mounts
over the colour pictures! Then again as a specialty album there are very
wide margins for the stamps, they look good mounted or hinged. I wish I
could afford to mount everything.

Frank

Old August 11th 03, 02:08 AM
Doug Spade

"Dakota" wrote in message
om...

Mike:

I just saw an ad in Linn's (which naturally is not near where I am right
now), but I'm reasonably positive it was for a new printing of Scott pages
for revenues that had been sized specifically to accommodate mounts. If
Scott can do that for revenues, then it stands to reason they could (if they
have not done so already) for other stamps. Whether they have or not, I
can't say.

Mike

Old August 11th 03, 03:17 PM
Dakota

I just saw an ad in Linn's (which naturally is not near where I am right
now), but I'm reasonably positive it was for a new printing of Scott pages
for revenues that had been sized specifically to accommodate mounts. If
Scott can do that for revenues, then it stands to reason they could (if they
have not done so already) for other stamps. Whether they have or not, I
can't say.

Good news to hear - at least about the revenues. Maybe others have
complained to Scott about this problem - so perhaps I'm not the only
one! ;-))

The seals on the mounts only add about 1-2 mm to the size of the
stamp, but sometimes the spacing between rows is only 3-4mm. After
the 3rd row, you've invaded the next row down. I've even used the tip
of my tongs to slide down along the seams of mounts to get "just that
little extra" room to insert a stamp that was a whisper too large.

It's sort of a moot point as far as the albums I already have. I'm
not going to dump $600 worth of specialty pages to purchase new ones,
nor am I going to try and re-mount 5 thousand stamps.

Still, after all this time surely someone at Scott would have noticed.
I guess I could try and round up some of the old Hawid (top opening)
mounts.

Thanks for the post.

Handshakes,

Dakota
Old August 11th 03, 03:39 PM
Dakota

Mr. B:

This is especially true of Scott's Specialty albums. Scott makes
mounts, has no one at Scott noticed that there isn't room for the
mounts? The pages end up looking like crap.

Are you using oversized mounts? When mounting stamps, mine are
usually pretty close to the size of the stamp without a lot of wasted
border.

Nope, I'm using the closest possible size mount. Sometimes I even run
the tip of my tongs along the internal seam to get a little extra
space inside a 'too small' mount. It's especially bad on pages like
the Wrangel issues of 1921. It's got 7 rows - 48 stamps on that single
page.

Dakota
Old August 11th 03, 05:17 PM
Douglas MYALL

Dakota wrote in article
. ..
[...]

Is this thread confusing catalogue publishers with album publishers? The
problem doesn't arise with the Deegam Machin Handbook since that advocates
the use of Profiles to write up a collection, whether mint or used.

Douglas
Old August 11th 03, 09:54 PM
Dakota

Does anyone know if Scott has ever reformatted their album pages. Does
Scott simply make up pages for the latest issues and keep printing
from old plates?

. ;-))

Is this thread confusing catalogue publishers with album publishers? The
problem doesn't arise with the Deegam Machin Handbook since that advocates
the use of Profiles to write up a collection, whether mint or used.

Scott is both a catalog publisher and an album publisher. I'm not
sure what you mean by 'writing up profiles'. Scott has a spot for
every major issue (not always a space for every variety) in their
albums - although a lot of varieties are mentioned in their catalog.
On some pages Scott gets very crowded. Hence my query about them
reformatting their albums.

Or do I misunderstand exactly what it is you're saying? I've
misnundetood things before . ;-))

Dakota

Douglas

Old August 13th 03, 08:13 AM
Douglas MYALL

David F. wrote in article
snip
Sorry if I did not make myself clear. I know that some catalogue
publishers also publish albums but your message did not refer to the

first
of these activities while your subject line mentioned nothing else. As

catalogue publisher myself I found your subject line confusing. None

of
the follow-up posts had any relevance for a catalogue publisher.

Douglas

Hey, Douglas - what about publishing a multi-part Album to hold
all of the listed Machins in your Catalogue? Would it be possible?
There could be a big market for something like that!

David.

I have considered this possibility in the past but have always decided
against it. Among the reasons is the fact that some listed items are rare
or scarce and to have spaces for them in a pre-printed album would simply
draw attention to the woeful inadequacy of one's collection grin. This
is why I invented the concept of Profiles. These are stamp-sized bits of
paper which contain, in a standard format, all the textual information
that makes one stamp different from another. They also contain visual
information such as the phosphor layout and the exact perforation gauge
plus ellipses where present. Each listed stamp has its own Profile.
Profiles are then treated in exactly the same way as the stamps and
mounted alongside them. Blank or computer-designed pages can be used but I
prefer stock sheets (or split mounts for mint stamps) myself. This system
is extremely flexible, if you don't have a stamp you don't use the
Profile. (You can put these unused Profiles into another stock book and
use it as a portable wants list.) If you later obtain a listed stamp you
simply move the stamps to make room. `Move the stamp, move its Profile.'

Douglas