stamps for blind people

Old July 4th 09, 12:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

Default stamps for blind people

Hello all,
One of the lates Spanish issues this year is a sheet with four stamps
related to Spanish costume fashion:

http://cjoint.com/?hebnGUrvIu

the paper is molded in such a way that blind people can feel the silhouette
of costumes presented in the stamps by simply touching their surface. Any
more examples of this type of issues in other countries?

regards,
Pedro

Old July 4th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hello Pedro.

Nice stamps; very interesting design. I was wondering, Pedro, when you say
the paper is molded so the design can be felt, do you mean that the dresses
are embossed (estampados en relieve)? If this is what you mean, then yes,
there are quite a few countries, including Canada, that have issued embossed
stamps.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- http://www.amedialuz.ca/

Old July 4th 09, 12:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

Hello Tony,
Yes, that was what I wanted to say but didn't find the exact word (emboss)
due to a recent lack of frequent use of English. This is the first stamp
I've seen made so, and wondered if there were any others out there. Thanks
for your reply.

regards,
Pedro

Old July 4th 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Well, Pedro, if you happen to get your hands on a Tonga catalogue you are
sure to find embossed stamps to your heart's content. Some are very nice,
others I don't like at all. As far as Canada is concerned, I believe we had
some issued in the mid to late 70s.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old July 4th 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Angola
NSW- Australia
Germany
Great Britain
Mozambique
Panama (appendix stamp)
Poland
Portuguese India
Ras Al Khaima (dune stamp)
Vatican (FDC)
.................................................. .......are some more

From Blair's post "looking back" number 192 (date unknown)

Embossed

Raised, or in low relief. A process allied to printing,
whereby the whole or part of a design is raised up
out of the surface of the paper by means of a pair
of dies, or a die and a matrix, one die bearing the
convex (male) design, and the other being
concave (female). The process has been used
for the production of stamps in both plain ('blind')
or colour embossing, and in G.B. and U.S.A.
especially for the stamping of postal stationery.

Examples of embossed stamps are Germany's issues
1872-5; Heligoland 1867-75; Gambia 1869; Italy 1862;
Portugal 1853-84; Sardinia 1851-5; and G.B. 1847-54.

In the main it has been the fashion for the portrait head
to be plain or colourless, but there have been exceptions.
The embossed Portuguese colonial issues of Luis 1870
give the 'Embossed' title to this keytype.

- R. J. Sutton 6th edition revised by K. W. Anthony
The Stamp Collector's Encyclopaedia
Published 1966

Embossing is always in relief - though it can be tricky to the eye.

We had a discussion on another board a while back about the grills on the US
1867-71 stamps. Needless to say much misleading information has been
reported over the years, and even today certain 'experts' still believe the
production grills were crreated by raised impressions on a plate or roller.
Fact is, according the coorespondence of the manufacturer, the grill pattern
was cut onto a standard brass (or iron) calender roller. The calender is a
machine used in the paper industry to smooth paper and give it a glossy
surface. As sheets of stamps were passed through the calender the grills
were embossed in the paper (on the unprinted side, but occassionaly on the
printed side). Of course, this does not include the early grill experiments
which were accomplished using a variety of methods, none of which were
suitable for use on a large scale. The only way to achieve the high levels
of production required by the Post Office was to use a calender machine. The
calender machine had been perfected for high speed use over a number of
years (since 1830) by the paper industry.

- A

Old July 4th 09, 04:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Tony Vella"
Well, Pedro, if you happen to get your hands on a Tonga catalogue you are
sure to find embossed stamps to your heart's content.

A 14d issue from 1964
Tonga.....where time begins.
http://cjoint.com/data/hefLsJNd5w.htm

(constructed of palladium)

Old July 4th 09, 03:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ryan Davenport

Pedro wrote:
Hello Tony,
Yes, that was what I wanted to say but didn't find the exact word
(emboss) due to a recent lack of frequent use of English. This is the
first stamp I've seen made so, and wondered if there were any others
out there. Thanks for your reply.

Here's one Canadian example - the snowflake is embossed on this one.

http://tinyurl.com/mwyjyj

And regarding Pedro's comment about blind people being able to feel
the embossing, Canada issued a stamp with some Braille text last year.

http://tinyurl.com/lfpqjk

Germany has issued a bunch of commemoratives with embossing,
especially in the 1950s and 1960s - I always liked those issues.

http://tinyurl.com/nohrr8

There is one British Machin stamp with no printing at all, just an
embossed portrait of the Queen. It came in a booklet that included
examples of a number of different types of stamp printing, including a
horrendous letterpress (typographed) stamp, undoubtedly the ugliest
Machin ever produced.

http://www.gbstamps.com/machins/albu...rofile_06.html

http://www.gbstamps.com/machins/albu...ofile_10a.html

The entire "Profile on Print" booklet is described here (both pages
above are excerpts).

http://www.gbstamps.com/machins/albu...rofile_01.html

Ryan