Republic of Texas $3 Note

Old June 20th 04, 05:35 AM
saved92

Default Republic of Texas $3 Note

Someone brought this note to me and asked if it was real....I have no idea.
What is the best way to find out? Can post a scan to abpn if no other way.

Old June 20th 04, 03:00 PM
Thomas Chao

Republic of Texas Austin September 1, 1841:
Most likely a worthless reproduction if it has serial number 40, 41, 146,
383 or 2077
See Replicas at http://tomchao.com

Old June 20th 04, 04:23 PM
Coin Saver

From: "saved92"

Someone brought this note to me (Republic of Texas $3 Note) and asked if it

was real....I have no idea. What is the best way to find out?

Well, by asking here - but there's very little information that you've given
about it. If I were to say to you: "I have a one hundred dollar bill, is it
counterfeit?" what would you say?

Let me start here - look at it for: size, dates (if any), bank city,
signatures, and back printing.

Size: If it's the same size as a modern-day dollar bill, it's probably a
"conversation piece" ... if it is such, and was printed recently, it should say
on it words to indicate it's not legal tender.

Next: In the US, as far as I know, the only $3 Notes were printed by the US
Government, and were as a result of the Federal Treasury Act of 1815, as a
measure to help pay for the War of 1812. These Notes will have a face print
only (no back).

If it was issued in Texas during the Civil War, it's a Confederacy Note, and
therefore, not legal tender (although it may be valuable as a collectible).

The Act of 1862 which established the National Notes (which are identified
through local banks rather than the Federal reserve bank) do not call for a
denomination of $3. The dates were between 1862 and 1935.

8-|
- Coin Saver

Old June 20th 04, 07:56 PM
saved92

"Coin Saver" wrote in message
Someone brought this note to me (Republic of Texas $3 Note) and asked if it
was real....I have no idea. What is the best way to find out?

Well, by asking here - but there's very little information that you've

given
about it. If I were to say to you: "I have a one hundred dollar bill, is

it
counterfeit?" what would you say?

Thanks for your reply. However I went on to say
"What is the best way to find out? Can post a scan to abpn if no other way."
Meaning where is a good website, what is a good book, etc.....I can post a
scan at abpn is there is no other place to post.