What's with Prince Fielder?

Old December 20th 03, 05:36 AM
BlackJet76

Default What's with Prince Fielder?

Last year at this time his 2002 UD PP Auto was a $25 card. By seasn's end it
was a $100 card. I know he's a great prospect and all but why the sudden
increase in price? The guy is still in A ball and at the very best will just be
a great Brewer. Also now the card is $130 plus on Ebay. How could his value
grow during the offseason? Don't values usually go down especially for
prospects during the winter?
Old December 20th 03, 03:11 PM
Scott Henrichs

Yeah it is pretty odd. Prince had a really good year, so he'll probably
be up to AA this year. But still, he's a ways from the majors because
the Brewers have so many good 1B in the minors, like Richie Weeks and
Brad Nelson, who you'll notice also have high priced RC's.

He's supposedly should be better than his dad though, he can hit for
average besides the home runs (hit something like .335 with 35 HR's in A
ball) but he is overweight just like his dad so no SB's.

Old December 21st 03, 05:43 AM
BlackJet76

He's supposedly should be better than his dad though, he can hit for
average besides the home runs (hit something like .335 with 35 HR's in A
ball) but he is overweight just like his dad so no SB's. BRBR

If I recall Jason Stokes had simliar or better numbers in A ball last season
and his rookie, which is not an auto but still not significantly more rare than
Prince's XRC, is about $15-20. $130 for Fielder $20 for Stokes. Don't get it.
Unless its Brewer fans who finally have a decent prospect to put money into
after all these years.
Old December 25th 03, 02:29 PM
MikeCouil

Prince is a former home run hitters son who displays the same kind of power.
For betting people, he's obviously a good player to place a bet on. He SHOULD
develop into quite a ball player.

I wouldn't worry about him being a Brewer. If he does turn out to be any good
they'll simply trade him away to a real team.

Mike

Old January 2nd 04, 05:07 AM
TJC

The answer....

First, I hate when people post things that they know NOTHING about. Rickie
Weeks IS NOT a first base prospect, he plays secondbase. Brad Nelson IS NOT
a first base prospect, he play Left Field.

Prince Fielder is penciled into the Brewer's lineup next season. The
Brewers traded one of there two "star" players a few months back. That
player was Richie Sexson, their former starting firstbaseman. Prince is the
only "true" first base prospect that Milwaukee has in the minors. Some
people may argue with me here and say that Brandon Gemoll has more long term
potential.

Prince who is only 19 was named MVP and Prospect of the Year in the Midwest
League for 2003. He finished in the top 3 in voting for Minor League Player
of the Year.

He is rated #9 overall by Baseball America on their Prospect Hot Sheet. He
is the #1 rated first baseman in the minors. (Jason Stokes isn't even in
the top 50).

To even compare Jason Stokes to Prince is a joke. Last years stats for
both:
AVG G AB R H RBI 2B 3B HR BB SO SB
CS
Jason Stokes - .258 121 462 67 119 89 31 3 17 36 135 6
4
Prince Fielder - .313 137 502 81 157 112 22 2 27 71 80 2
1

Figured, Blackjet is a moron that knows nothing. I have a question for
you.... Do you think Barry Bonds is a good baseball player? Or what's
your opinion about the sun always rising in the east?

geez
TC

Old January 2nd 04, 06:25 PM
TJC

Again....

Did I write or state anywhere in my post that Prince would be STARTING? or
the OPENING DAY firstbaseman?

NO...... I wrote he is "penciled" in to the Brewer's Lineup next season.

Lyle Overbay is a joke, he will be given 2 months to bat .220 and accumulate
60k's in 220 at bats. Prince will be on the roster by the All-Star break.

Dan, you should concentrate on the Twins and their problems. They have a 2
man pitching rotation. Johan will fall back to Earth this year, and Radke
has been close to terrible the last 2 years. I think they made a huge
mistake in trading A.J., It will be fun to watch Mauer struggle this year.
Joe needs time at AAA. Mike Prior or Joe Mauer, somebody made the wrong
choice.

ok bye,
TC

From: "TJC"
Date: 1/1/2004 11:07 PM Central Standard Time

Funny you would make these two statements together in the same post:

First, I hate when people post things that they know NOTHING about.

Prince Fielder is penciled into the Brewer's lineup next season.

There is no way Fielder will be the starting first baseman at Miller Park

next
season. More than likely he'll be in AA to begin next year. While it's
possible he may be rushed to the majors at some point in the 2004 season,
projections are 2005 at the earliest.

I have a question for you.... Have you ever heard of Lyle Overbay?

-Dan (TIC)
http://sportscardfun.com/trader/ideal0024.asp

"If a man hasn't discovered something he would die for, he isn't fit to

live."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Baseball doesn't owe me a thing, I owe my whole life to baseball."
- Kirby Puckett

Old January 2nd 04, 06:51 PM
Dan Aliperto-MN

From: "TJC"
Date: 1/2/2004 12:25 PM Central Standard Time

Again....

Did I write or state anywhere in my post that Prince would be STARTING? or
the OPENING DAY firstbaseman?

NO...... I wrote he is "penciled" in to the Brewer's Lineup next season.

Maybe you meant something different, but to me being "penciled" into the lineup
means they have been giving the starting job. You don't "pencil" in a guy who
is going to be on the bench or in the minors.

Lyle Overbay is a joke, he will be given 2 months to bat .220 and accumulate
60k's in 220 at bats. Prince will be on the roster by the All-Star break.

Overbay is a joke, but then again so is the current version of the Brewers so
he should fit right in. Like I said before, chances are Fielder will be rushed
to the majors in 2004.

Dan, you should concentrate on the Twins and their problems.

No point in concentrating at all, nothing I can do will change our stingy
owner.

They have a 2
man pitching rotation. Johan will fall back to Earth this year, and Radke
has been close to terrible the last 2 years.

Radke has been closer to average than terrible, but he is on the backside of
his career. I think your dead wrong about Santana & he will be one of the top
10 pitchers in the AL. Lohse is ok. They will sign another cheap fill in for
the 4 spot (ala Reed or Rodgers) & have a prospect in the 5 spot (Adam Johnson
or Juan Rincon probably).

I think they made a huge
mistake in trading A.J., It will be fun to watch Mauer struggle this year.
Joe needs time at AAA.

I don't think they made a mistake at all. AJ has no where to go but down. And
for someone who was touting BA's #9 rated prospect as ML ready, I would think
you would give more of a chance who was rated #1.

Mauer is ML ready, read any quote from any minor league scout or coach who has
came in contact with (not just people in the Twins org. but others.)

Will he hit .350 w/20 hr's his rookie year, no. Will he crash & burn like
you're predicting absolutly not.

I predict he will win the ROY & I'm not the only one making that statement.

Mike Prior or Joe Mauer, somebody made the wrong
choice.

A guy the team had zero chance of signing or a player with similar prospects.
Yeah sounds like a tough choice.

Old January 3rd 04, 03:47 PM
MikeCouil

Joe Mauer is just about the ONLY bright spot of the organization this off
season and is the hot topic among everyone. While a great many people like Dan
feel he'll win ROY, I think he'll hit around .230 and play terriffic defense.
I think within 3 seasons he'll be to Minnesota what Kirby was, the guy everyone
knows by his first name and who brings people out to watch the team.

Mark Prior would have been great in Minnesota, but he wouldn't have been the
local boy home town hero that Joe is, nor would the club have been able to ink
him. There was no mistake in signing Joe Mauer. I just wish he had 1 season
in AAA.

Mike

Old January 3rd 04, 07:04 PM
Dan Aliperto-MN

From: (MikeCouil)
Date: 1/3/2004 9:47 AM Central Standard Time

Joe Mauer is just about the ONLY bright spot of the organization this off
season and is the hot topic among everyone. While a great many people like
Dan
feel he'll win ROY, I think he'll hit around .230 and play terriffic defense.

I think within 3 seasons he'll be to Minnesota what Kirby was, the guy
everyone
knows by his first name and who brings people out to watch the team.

Mark Prior would have been great in Minnesota, but he wouldn't have been the
local boy home town hero that Joe is, nor would the club have been able to
ink
him. There was no mistake in signing Joe Mauer. I just wish he had 1 season
in AAA.

Mike

I agree with everything you say here Mike. Ideally a half to full season at
AAA would do nothing but help Mauer, but I don't think he will be hindered by
the jump to the big club.

Like I said before, I'm not predicting .350 w/20, but .275 - .290 w/10 hr & 80
rbi is not out of the question. Those type of numbers with his defense are
more than enough to win the ROY.

I will freely admit a personal interest in Mauer's success. I have at least 5
copies of every one of his RC's, along with at least triples of most of the RC
Parallels (with the obvious exception of a few of the extremely rare issues).
I've also watched him play since he was a 10th grader at CDH.

So take my comments for what ever, but I'm not the only one touting those type
of numbers.