Edison Commemorative Light Bulb Set..

Old November 15th 04, 04:51 PM
Harv

Default Edison Commemorative Light Bulb Set..

Having bypassed the sale of the Indian Pouch Set (for which some people are
getting $400 and up on eBay because a couple certain Indians happened to
gain sudden fame by making pouch designs that people are willing to spend
ridiculous money on, I decided to fall for the new Edison Commemorative set
that comes in a blue box with a light bulb that lights up when you open it,
for $49.95 plus tax, license, dealer prep, undercoating, pin-striping and
Lo-Jack.. this set is in transit to me and should be delivered whenever my
mailman finishes smashing it..

Unlike the Pouch Sets, of which 50,000 were made, and sold out in six weeks,
I think, only 25,000 of these Edison Light Bulb Sets are being made, and it
is still on sale:: http://tinyurl.com/47c69 - I'm not sure when it went on
sale, and only found out about it by seeing an article about it in Coin
World a couple weeks ago.

This gimmick item has a particular appeal to me for an extremely obscure yet
personal reason in that it reminds me somewhat of a circa 1961 Lionel Famous
Inventors Edison Light Bulb set ("Build it yourself! It's fun! It's
edumakashunal. It works!") .. which I owned as a kid, but which vanished
back somewhere in the mists of time, although those occasionally appear on
eBay and go for prices about which I can only dab my eyes and wistfully wish
I could afford to buy another one.. I would show you an example, except
there are none on eBay currently, and besides, the rousing "Who cares!" as
the crowd rears its ugly head in agony, would probably depress me anyway..

At any rate, The Mint never fails to confound and amuse me with the ways
they come up for packaging coins in gimmicky ways, and try to persuade me to
part with my money (which sometimes works.) .. and this one seems to reach
some kind of new pinnacle of gimmickhoodmanshipness..

Anyone else buy any of these??..

Harv
(Collector of silly but sentimental things sometimes) ..

--
"As democracy is perfected the office of president represents, more
and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and

-- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Old November 15th 04, 05:22 PM
Bill Krummel

"Harv" wrote in message
[...]

No, but I have been thinking about it. You may have pushed me over the
edge. It would never hurt to have the Lite Bulb set close by when the power
goes out, anyway.

Bill

Old November 15th 04, 05:32 PM
JHLMSS

at least it is still "only" the packaging.

take a look at canada one time, they are minting "coins" and i use the term
loosely for just about anything.

look it snowed in alberta!! lets mint a coin!!

Old November 15th 04, 06:02 PM
Harv

"JHLMSS" wrote in message
at least it is still "only" the packaging.

take a look at canada one time, they are minting "coins" and i use the

term
loosely for just about anything.

look it snowed in alberta!! lets mint a coin!!

I look at Gatewest Coin's double-page spread in the center of every issue of
Coin World from time to time and can only wonder how any Canadian coin
collectors who want to stay current with all of the RCM's yearly flood of
products can possibly afford to buy even one of each of them without
existing solely on a diet of dog food or dead mice..

My collection of Canadian Coins is pretty small, consisting mainly of a very
old blue Whitman folder that holds some big old Canadian Cents from the
early 20th century, that my Grampa gave me when I was a kid, both of the
1998 "90th Anniversary" Proof Sets (the Proofy looking one and the Antiquey
looking one that ape the design of the 1908 Canadian Coins.. I couldn't
resist those, they originally sold for about $80.00 each and are now
gettable for about $30.00 each, so I bought both of them a couple years ago
and they're real purty.. gen-you-wine leather cases and all..) .. plus some
various and sundry loose coins given to me by Canadian relatives back in the
60s.. and that's it.

While we complain about our coins being festooned by Dead Presidents, the
Canadians have been stuck with the Queen on almost all their money since
what, 1952??..

Harv

Old November 15th 04, 11:42 PM
JSTONE9352

take a look at canada one time, they are minting "coins" and i use the

term
loosely for just about anything.

look it snowed in alberta!! lets mint a coin!!

Canada has gone way overboard
with commemoratives. I wonder
why they haven't come up with
one yet for the famous "Aroostock
war" with the US. The what you
are saying? Little known but
significant in settling some boundary disputes with the US.
Old November 15th 04, 11:49 PM
gogu

Ο "Harv" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

"JHLMSS" wrote in message
at least it is still "only" the packaging.

take a look at canada one time, they are minting "coins" and i use the

term
loosely for just about anything.

look it snowed in alberta!! lets mint a coin!!

I look at Gatewest Coin's double-page spread in the center of every issue
of
Coin World from time to time and can only wonder how any Canadian coin
collectors who want to stay current with all of the RCM's yearly flood of
products can possibly afford to buy even one of each of them without
existing solely on a diet of dog food or dead mice..

*EXACTLY* my thoughts Harv !
I am not a Canadian but I do collect Canadian coins (silver proof dollars,
gold $100, silver Lunar $15, etc) and I just want to scream to the RCM
people: bastaaaaaa with this tide of commemorative coins ! We can't afford
them anymore !

--
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure in codesto reame
debban risolversi tutte con grandi puttane!
F.d.A

Old November 16th 04, 12:43 PM
John Stone

"gogu" wrote in message ...
Ο "Harv" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

"JHLMSS" wrote in message
[...]

Canada has issued commemorative coins for many years but now the floodgates
have been opened like never before. Does anyone know if this was because of
a new mint director or marketing person who decided to do this? There must
be some background as to why (probably just greed) they would do this.

The red poppy coin I fear is the start of a new trend and this could go in
many directions such as a certain color for both the obverse and reverse and
then switch the colors around etc. A different color for each month etc.
A marketing monster could be created. They are probably already considering
many ideas.
Old November 16th 04, 02:52 PM
Keane

Harv wrote:
This gimmick item has a particular appeal to me for an extremely obscure yet
personal reason in that it reminds me somewhat of a circa 1961 Lionel Famous
Inventors Edison Light Bulb set ("Build it yourself! It's fun! It's
edumakashunal. It works!") .. which I owned as a kid, but which vanished
back somewhere in the mists of time, although those occasionally appear on
eBay and go for prices about which I can only dab my eyes and wistfully wish
I could afford to buy another one.. I would show you an example, except
there are none on eBay currently, and besides, the rousing "Who cares!" as
the crowd rears its ugly head in agony, would probably depress me anyway..

I've got one.

You missed the obvious humor in this item.

First, it's to commemorate the incandescent light bulb. An LED
is not an incandescent light bulb.

Second, the LED is bright enough to be used as a flashlight.
On the other hand, the on/off switch is a photocell, so when
it detects light, the LED goes on. So if you use it in a
really dark area, the light won't go on. Even if you do get
it lit, it'll soon go out, making it useless as a flashlight.
(I wasn't a geek enough to see if you could use a mirror to
reflect the light to the photocell to keep the LED lit...)

Then too, I'm a sucker for this type of packaging. :-)

Keane
===
"You uncultured swine!" -- Mr. Potato Head