Question for Canadian $ collectors

Old March 22nd 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Question for Canadian $ collectors

Hi all!
I am collecting Canadian silver dollars (1935- ) and lately I am puzzled if
I should
include in my collection the two 2004 and 2006 Olympic silver Loons.
They haven't the same specifications as the rest of the Canadian silver
dollars, so I am not sure if they fit in my collection or not.
Your opinions are much appreciated!

Tnx

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Old March 22nd 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:01:56 +0200, "gogu"
is alleged to have written:
Hi all!
I am collecting Canadian silver dollars (1935- ) and lately I am puzzled if
I should
include in my collection the two 2004 and 2006 Olympic silver Loons.
They haven't the same specifications as the rest of the Canadian silver
dollars, so I am not sure if they fit in my collection or not.
Your opinions are much appreciated!

Tnx

You don't need a Canadian collector for that!

Do you like the look of them? Get them.

Do YOU feel your collection can't be complete without them? Get them.

Rather do something else with the money (food, clothing, shelter,
etc)? Forget them.

Or are you trying to find a reason you can sell to the wife? :-)

Bruce (I like the look of the 2006 best)
ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.
Old March 22nd 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

? "Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" ?????? ??? ??????
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:01:56 +0200, "gogu"
is alleged to have written:
Hi all!
I am collecting Canadian silver dollars (1935- ) and lately I am puzzled
if
I should
include in my collection the two 2004 and 2006 Olympic silver Loons.
They haven't the same specifications as the rest of the Canadian silver
dollars, so I am not sure if they fit in my collection or not.
Your opinions are much appreciated!

Tnx

You don't need a Canadian collector for that!

Do you like the look of them? Get them.

Well, yes but I am opened in so many collections that I don't want to open
another one:-)
I already have a few of them I know I'll never complete, like my Morgan
collection for instance...
I am tired to buy "stupid"...

Do YOU feel your collection can't be complete without them? Get them.

Hmmm ... I really don't know.
I like them how they look but again they are not the same as the "normal"
silver dollars..
I tend to say they look like they wouldn't belong to this collection...

Rather do something else with the money (food, clothing, shelter,
etc)? Forget them.

:-)

Or are you trying to find a reason you can sell to the wife? :-)

Nope, they are cheap, I usually look for such an excuse when I want to buy
coins for my gold collection;-)
In that case we have Homeric quarrels;-)

PS
I've already replied in private.

Old March 23rd 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:37:40 +0200, "gogu"
is alleged to have written:
? "Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" ?????? ??? ??????
.. .
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:01:56 +0200, "gogu"
is alleged to have written:
Hi all!
I am collecting Canadian silver dollars (1935- ) and lately I am puzzled
if
I should
include in my collection the two 2004 and 2006 Olympic silver Loons.
They haven't the same specifications as the rest of the Canadian silver
dollars, so I am not sure if they fit in my collection or not.
Your opinions are much appreciated!

Tnx

Do YOU feel your collection can't be complete without them? Get them.

Hmmm ... I really don't know.
I like them how they look but again they are not the same as the "normal"
silver dollars..
I tend to say they look like they wouldn't belong to this collection...

There's your answer!

Want someone from Canada to repeat it for you? :-)

Nope, they are cheap, I usually look for such an excuse when I want to buy
coins for my gold collection;-)
In that case we have Homeric quarrels;-)

My wife's introduction to coin collecting was brutal. I spotted a
major cherrypick though it cost me $1000 to get it. I cracked it out
and took it to the PCGS booth right as they opened and coughed up the
cash for same day service. Lunch was in stunned silence and by the
time she'd recovered sufficiently to offer an opinion we were back in
public. But the look in her eye promised slow death as soon as we were
in the car.

The coin upgraded a point and added CAMEO at pcgs and I more than
doubled my money before the show closed.This was the first coin show
I'd ever taken her to and she got the impression that happened every
time! She kept asking me how much I made when I came back and she
doesn't question my purchases...good thing, like all of us I sometimes
pay too much!

PS
I've already replied in private.

Yup, I got it. Gimme about 20 minutes, then check your email.

Bruce

Old March 23rd 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

? "Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" ?????? ??? ??????
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:37:40 +0200, "gogu"
is alleged to have written:
Do YOU feel your collection can't be complete without them? Get them.

Hmmm ... I really don't know.
I like them how they look but again they are not the same as the "normal"
silver dollars..
I tend to say they look like they wouldn't belong to this collection...

There's your answer!

Want someone from Canada to repeat it for you? :-)

If in his opinion these two coins do fit in such a collection even if they
have different specifications!
I'd like to know what they think people who are collecting Canadian silver
$.

Nope, they are cheap, I usually look for such an excuse when I want to buy
coins for my gold collection;-)
In that case we have Homeric quarrels;-)

My wife's introduction to coin collecting was brutal. I spotted a
major cherrypick though it cost me $1000 to get it. I cracked it out
and took it to the PCGS booth right as they opened and coughed up the
cash for same day service. Lunch was in stunned silence and by the
time she'd recovered sufficiently to offer an opinion we were back in
public. But the look in her eye promised slow death as soon as we were
in the car.

Yup, similar problems he-)
I wonder why most women do not understand this hobby of ours?...

Old March 24th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"gogu" wrote in message

I am collecting Canadian silver dollars (1935- ) and lately I am puzzled

if
I should
include in my collection the two 2004 and 2006 Olympic silver Loons.

I collect Canadian silver dollars, too. Up until a couple of years ago, I
bought from the Canadian mint in order to keep my set current.
Unfortunately, they continued to issue different varieties (some of which
were only available in different coin sets) making it awfully expensive just
trying to keep current, so I decided to re-define my collection. Now, my
dollar set consists of the silver dollars issued from 1935 to 1967,
excluding any of the varieties (pointed/blunt numbers, missing water lines,
etc.). One coin per year (except I'm including the 1947 ML)- that's it. I'm
not including any of the post-1967 nickel circulation issues or silver
collector issues.

Long story short- make your set whatever you want it to be.

Old March 24th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Ο "S. Drummond" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
om...
"gogu" wrote in message

[...]

Sure, but the question remains: are these dollars "belonging" to such a set
as mine?
A have the feeling they are no "real" silver dollars, so I incline to not
include them but I'd like to hear to more opinions.

You have a point about the RCM and the dozens of products it's coming up
every year, it's difficult to collect all of them.
So I have all the "first" (1935-1967) silver dollars like you, but after
that I decided to collect only the Proof dollars ($1 denomination) from each
year, no sets, no $5, no $8.
And with just one proof dollar per year I say it's not so difficult to keep
my collection updated...

Thanks for the opinion!

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi
puttane! F.d.A

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***