OT..New computer burped, big time.

Old February 19th 10, 02:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default OT..New computer burped, big time.

On Feb 17, 9:38*pm, Ralphael1 wrote:
While viewing some stamp images in a file folder my desktop background
changed to the image I was viewing.
I found the images in the file folder I was viewing were in the
desktop image files. No problem changing the desktop background,
however I could not get the images out of the desktop image file.
A call to HP help connected me to India and the Tech Rep entered my
computer, tried several times to take the file out with no success.
He finally deleted the folder.
Holy Crap, all my images are gone to cyber space. The folder is still
listed in the desktop image files but is not active.
Tech Rep says it is burned to the hard drive. He doesn't know how or
why this happened and yhas no concern that all my images are gone.
This has to be a one of a kind incident. Windows 7 may be doing
something not done with other versions. I know some odd things have
happened since I bought the new computer.

Ralphael, the OLD one

If you recently installed Service Pack 1 to update your Windows 7,
there is a well known bug in it. Problems are widespread and
Microsoft is rightly getting a blast from customers.

I think the Service Pack came out in January, so the problem is
quite recent. If you hold of installing SP #1, I suggest you wait
for SP #2, or at least an announcement from Microsoft,

Blair
Old February 19th 10, 04:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Feb 18, 11:00*pm, "phantomm_1" wrote:
"Ralphael1" wrote in message

On Feb 18, 7:45 pm, "phantomm_1" wrote:

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in
messagenews:rrfrn5ht48gjlesgvbv3ti7phshpi5st26@4ax .com...

Ralphael1 found these unused words:

[...]

Check your Recycle Bin, the images may be recoverable.

Hey, it's a new OS and you may have accidentally pressed a 'short cut'
key.

Does his computer have a Restore option, should be in
the help and support area and System Tools in the
Accessorities.
If he can restore the system to an earlier time before
the problem, he might get the files back.
Not sure on it, but it shouldn't hurt anything to try.
I've use that option more than a few times, when
running into trouble with things like a bad installation
and etc.
Also, let me give you some advice.
When you get your PC working the way you want,
be careful about installing updates. Not all updates
are good for your computer. As a long time atari user,
that would be some of the best advice I can give you.

Especially when your software and hardware warranties
are expired and your system is getting abit old. Be careful
if you have a good working system, about installing system
upgrades.
And it should be easy to back up your picture files to a
CD(s).

I have a HP and never had any major problems with it,
However, I started out using Atari Computers and still
do. So I use PCs somewhat different, than those who
have always used a PC.

I do recall something similar to that problem on a Sony
Computer I had one time. But it only envolved 5 or 10
pictures. I did a system Restore to fix it, iirc.
Also, I have found that some Screen Savers aren't very
nice. Stick with a simple screen saver, If you use one
that does a slide show or access the hard drive for
information, problems can creep in.

Good luck with it,
Barry

Not a chance. Restore will not restore deleted files.

Ralph

Well it depends on how you have your system setup and the software
you use. *I can undelete files that I delete on my system.
Everyone uses there computer different. There is suppose to be
software available that will recover files if they are marked as deleted
on your hard drive. *But if you write new files over the area where the
files got deleted, then it will be much harder to recover all of them.

How many pic files are you talking about?

Barry

The pic file had ten images. It was not a major loss since I can
recrerate them from another source.
As far as the ability to undelete files go I have not got into that.
The computer guru I last used has that capability. I am not sure I do.

Ralph
Old February 19th 10, 04:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Feb 18, 11:56*pm, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au
wrote:
"phantomm_1"

And it should be easy to back up your picture files to a
CD(s).

Eeeek, nobody does that anymore
external HDD $100..how cheap is that!?

I agree on the "Eeeek", it is thumb drives for me.

Ralph
Old February 19th 10, 04:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

"Ralphael1" wrote in message

[...]

Norton Internet Security backs up files when you delete them.
It's called the Norton protected recycle bin. *(I've used it a few
times
to recover files that became corrupted. *Also a regular HD backup
helps.

Blair

Don't have Norton, never did, never will.

Ralph
Old February 19th 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jerry

Hi Sir Rien,

The settings that are in the 'CleanUp" utility are permanent. As far
as I know there is no other place to set them except maybe the
registry and I haven't looked there.

Jerry B
Old February 19th 10, 06:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
phantomm_1

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
[...]

I'm glad I still have my Atari Computers.
I don't have to wait for the latest bug fixes or upgrades.
I can do what I need to do when I need to.
They are also great for MIDI and Music stuff.

BTW, there is a new system called COLD FIRE.
You guys might want to check into it.
Or have a look at a Atari Falcon 030,
Atari TT, MegaSTE, or 1040STE.
Some of these are hard to find and
can be expensive.
A Falcon 030 is like a nice older
Sports Car in my opinion.

There is Atari emulation software for PCs called STEEM.
that you might want to look at.

Best of luck,
Barry

Old February 19th 10, 09:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill[_7_]

On 2/19/2010 9:09 AM, jerry wrote:
Hi Sir Rien,

The settings that are in the 'CleanUp" utility are permanent. As far
as I know there is no other place to set them except maybe the
registry and I haven't looked there.

Jerry B

Rien's right for XP. You can specify what you want to clean up in the
list that appears. I haven't checked my Vista machine, but suspect it's
the same.

Bill
Old February 20th 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

....and it's an Eeeek for that too, Ralphael.
It's like a nice cuddly warm and seemingly domesticated African Lion.
One day it will bite.

"Ralphael1"

Old February 20th 10, 02:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hi Ralph.

The best backup I have found is an off-site server which I share with 4
other chappies - all retired translators and all in the same racket as I.
If you search around you can find 35 Gigs of on-line storage for some $10 or
$12 a month which shared among 3 or 4 comes to next to nothing.

I use flash drives myself but not for backup. I wouldn't trust them for
backup. I use them mainly for carrying documents and dictionaries from here
to there and I have never had problems in that respect. One of the priest
I translate for refuses to be hooked up to the Net and therefore I have no
access from his computer to my off-site server. So I carry a 8G FD. My
wife uses a couple of FDs for backups and she had problems with one of them
last year (but not with the other).
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- http://www.amedialuz.ca/

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
On Feb 18, 11:56 pm, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au
"phantomm_1"

Old February 20th 10, 04:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Feb 19, 9:29*pm, "Tony Vella" wrote:
[...]

Just like husbands? LOL