Digital Coin Photography Help ?

Old March 22nd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Digital Coin Photography Help ?

I am trying to learn how to take great digital pictures of my coin
collection with an eye towards posting some of the coins for sale on ebay or
other venues but can not get enough detail to come through on the shots. The
camera is a new Canon digital with 7.0 mega pixels and is fully adjustable
for manual type ( non-automatic ) use. I can adjust the shutter speed and
aperature to a certain degree. The camera has a Macro setting which I tried
but still nothing you can use to show the grade a coin is in. Any help or
advice you might be able to give me will be greatly appreciated.

Please reply to my e-mail address which is ---
Thank you in advance for your replys
and help in this venture. Mike

Old March 22nd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Don't use flash and try to mount the camera so it doesn't move. What
model do you have? Icanthen determine the closest focusing distance.
You'll nee to be about 4 " from the coin fom front surface of lens and
if you are using incandescent light be sure white balance is set to the
lightbulb symbol. The autonatic white balance works poorly.

Ira

Old March 22nd 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"MICHAEL ELLER" wrote in message
I am trying to learn how to take great digital pictures of my coin
collection with an eye towards posting some of the coins for sale on ebay
or other venues but can not get enough detail to come through on the shots.
The camera is a new Canon digital with 7.0 mega pixels and is fully
adjustable for manual type ( non-automatic ) use. I can adjust the shutter
speed and aperature to a certain degree. The camera has a Macro setting
which I tried but still nothing you can use to show the grade a coin is in.
Any help or advice you might be able to give me will be greatly
appreciated.

Please reply to my e-mail address which is ---
Thank you in advance for your
replys and help in this venture. Mike

This article may help you with the basics:

http://browncopper.com/

Ron B.

Old March 22nd 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In a recent message "Ron Buelow" wrote:

"MICHAEL ELLER" wrote in message
I am trying to learn how to take great digital pictures of my coin
collection with an eye towards posting some of the coins for sale on ebay
or other venues but can not get enough detail to come through on the shots.
The camera is a new Canon digital with 7.0 mega pixels and is fully
adjustable for manual type ( non-automatic ) use. I can adjust the shutter
speed and aperature to a certain degree. The camera has a Macro setting
which I tried but still nothing you can use to show the grade a coin is in.
Any help or advice you might be able to give me will be greatly
appreciated.

Please reply to my e-mail address which is ---
Thank you in advance for your
replys and help in this venture. Mike

This article may help you with the basics:

http://browncopper.com/

A most interesting and useful web site. Thanks.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old March 24th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:02:21 GMT, "MICHAEL ELLER"
wrote:

I am trying to learn how to take great digital pictures of my coin
collection with an eye towards posting some of the coins for sale on ebay or
other venues but can not get enough detail to come through on the shots. The
camera is a new Canon digital with 7.0 mega pixels and is fully adjustable
for manual type ( non-automatic ) use. I can adjust the shutter speed and
aperature to a certain degree. The camera has a Macro setting which I tried
but still nothing you can use to show the grade a coin is in. Any help or
advice you might be able to give me will be greatly appreciated.

Photography is just one way to capture the image of a coin to be sold
on eBay. The other way is to use a scanner. You can purchase a good
CCD scanner (CIS scanners do not provide good coin images) for about
half or a third of the price of a camera, and come up with very good
images with far less trouble than setting up the necessary
illumination for the camera.

I don't recommend scanning over photography, or vice-versa, but I
wouldn't say that a camera is the only way to capture an image for
eBay.

Please reply to my e-mail address which is ---
Thank you in advance for your replys
and help in this venture. Mike

Some may reply by email, but my attitude is that any replies here are
for the group's benefit, and not just yours. Others may have
questions about photography. If you aren't interested enough to
follow the thread here, then you just aren't interested enough.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old March 24th 06, 09:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

[...]

If you have a basic digital camera a scanner will give a much better picture.

However, a decent camera will in the end give much better quality, and allow some
flexibility in lighting.

For a high relief coin such as a Roman denarius a scanner is fairly useless,
in my experience.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coinsoftheuk.info
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... On second thoughts, lets not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.