Lincoln BIE ID help

Old April 16th 16, 01:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Andy Wojtowich

Default Lincoln BIE ID help

Good Day,
Just joined this group. I'm having a difficult time identifying/cataloging Lincoln Wheat Cent BIE errors. I've been to Cuds-on-coins.com and corresponding with them, but just cannot seem to figure out how to ID the BIE's with the listings at the site.

Any info or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Old April 16th 16, 11:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anthony R. Gonzales, Sr.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 17:41:24 -0700, Andy Wojtowich wrote:

Good Day,
Just joined this group. I'm having a difficult time
identifying/cataloging Lincoln Wheat Cent BIE errors. I've been to
Cuds-on-coins.com and corresponding with them, but just cannot seem to
figure out how to ID the BIE's with the listings at the site.

Any info or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I've visited their site and the section on "Lincoln Cent Die Breaks" and
it seems fairly straight forward. The system they are utilizing appears
to be numbered 1-8 (ie. II-F-3) to show the position within "LIBERTY"
where the die break occures. There are 8 possible positions for a die
break to occur. The first is the very beginning between "L" and the
rim. There are six other positions between any combination of two
letters in "LIBERTY". And there is an eighth position occuring right
after the "Y".

Another way of referring to the die break is to show the "break" (an 'I')
between the two letters in "LIBERTY" where the break occurs: "ILI",
"LII", "IIB", "BIE", "EIR", "RIT", "TIY", and "TYI". So, before using
their listings, you will already have yourself identified what may be a
break between any of the letters in "LIBERTY". Now, you simply locate
the proper set of listings for your break posistion and select the year
of your cent.

Then browse through the photos they have to identify the variety. Any
other cross references they have to the coin will be listed below the
photos. But, remember that this is their own identification system and
will not necessarily correspond with anybody else's system for ID'ing
these coins.

I'm not sure if this is the information you are seeking, but I hope it
has been helpful.

1972 DDO Lincoln Brian Blackwell Coins 7 July 3rd 06 04:43 AM
Lincoln...Is that You? b8tovene Coins 4 April 20th 06 04:33 AM
Strange Lincoln Bob Dennett Coins 1 April 22nd 05 01:26 AM
That o/t 58-D lincoln ..... J. Craton Coins 13 March 16th 04 11:08 PM
dbl ear lincoln F B Coins 11 March 15th 04 12:47 PM