"Commem Fever" -- Is It Contagious?

Old August 3rd 03, 03:28 PM
Larry Louks

Default "Commem Fever" -- Is It Contagious?

All numismatic enthusiasts:

I have really enjoyed the reading that I've done in this group in the few
weeks since I subscribed to it. There has been a multiplicity of ways in
which I've benefited as a result of hanging out here. My sincere thanks to
all who are regular posters here, for you have been a part of my enjoyment .
.. .

"Commemoratives" -- something that I'm so "green" about, if I stood still,
I'd probably take root! For instance, are all commemorative coins
(silver) either halves or dollars? And are they generally always found in
mint state, or have some of them been circulated? I see a number of members
here in the group who ostensibly have not only been infected with "commem
fever", but who actually are suffering from an extreme case of the fever. I
just wondered if there is some preventative "something" that I need to start
taking immediately, or now that I have been exposed, are the odds high that
I will soon become infected?

-=LDL=-

Old August 3rd 03, 04:30 PM
TC

I caught the fever a couple of years ago. I started with classics. But to
get coins of the high quality that I'm happy with, it costs a fortune! So I
decided to sell the 8 or so high-grade classics I'd accumulated and started
with MODERN commemoratives. For less money I have 40 modern classics all in
either PCGS MS69 or PR69DCAM. Each one is problem free and a pleasure to
look at. I used to view the classics as better looking than the modern and
some of them are (Pilgrim, Antietam, Grant are my favorites), but there are
some terrific moderns as well. I love the Smthsonian, with Liberty sitting
on top of the earth holding a torch in one hand and a scroll that says "Art,
History, Science" in the other hand. (Almost rivals the Hudson in creativity
there.) The obverse design on the WWII dollars is incredible.

So yes, I have commemorative fever. But it's just shifted a bit over time.

"Larry Louks" wrote in message
All numismatic enthusiasts:

I have really enjoyed the reading that I've done in this group in the few
weeks since I subscribed to it. There has been a multiplicity of ways in
which I've benefited as a result of hanging out here. My sincere thanks to
all who are regular posters here, for you have been a part of my enjoyment

..
. .

Old August 3rd 03, 04:54 PM
John Carney

[...]

I still don't know that I'll go for the whole 50 coin type set. With a series like
Franklins and Lincolns, I feel a need to complete them as a date/MM set. With the Commems,
it seems to me that each coin stands on its own merit. There are some Commemoratives, like
the Washington-Carver, the Spanish Trail and the Elgin which really do nothing for me.
Others like the Pilgrim, the Hudson, the Texas and the Oregon Trail are knockout, must own
coins to me.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcarne...ns/rccers.html

Old August 3rd 03, 05:07 PM
Harv

"Larry Louks" wrote in message

"Commemoratives" -- something that I'm so "green" about, if I stood still,
I'd probably take root! For instance, are all commemorative coins
(silver) either halves or dollars? And are they generally always found in
mint state, or have some of them been circulated? I see a number of

members
here in the group who ostensibly have not only been infected with "commem
fever", but who actually are suffering from an extreme case of the fever.

just wondered if there is some preventative "something" that I need to

start
taking immediately, or now that I have been exposed, are the odds high

that
I will soon become infected?

-=LDL=-

You talking about "Classic" Commemoratives or moderns?? Get yourself a Red
Book. Best $10.00 or so you'll ever spend for your collection..

The vast majority of Classics are halves. One was a dollar, the Layfayette.
One was a Quarter, the Isabella Quarter. They can be bought in almost any
condition from circulated up to MS69 (I think, unless MS68 is the ceiling..
I forget).. depending on which one. Many have been cleaned. Many were
improperly stored, by today's standard, simply because many of them were
$1.00 souvenirs from fairs or special (or meaningless) celebrations, and no
particular care was taken in storing them. Many were stored on sales cards
resulting in spectacular toning as they reacted with the paper over decades.

Although you didn't ask, there are also a small number of Gold Classic
Commemoratives. IMO, and I'm sure a lot of others would agree, was the Gold
set sold to commemorate the 1915 Pan Pacific Exhibition in SF. They could be
bought individually or in a cased set. The empty case ALONE sells for a
thousand bucks or two..

If you're talking about Modern Commemoratives (1982-Present), silver and
clad Halves, Silver Dollars, $5.00 Golds and $10.00 Golds, and one ringed
BiMetallic Gold and Platinum $10.00 "Eagle" sized from 2000..

Harv

Old August 3rd 03, 05:24 PM
Bill Krummel

[...]

One commemorative quarter, the 1893 Isabella; 48 classic commemorative
halfs, 1892 thru 1954; one classic commemorative dollar, the 1900
Lafayette; modern commemorative halfs from 1982, modern commemorative
silver dollars from 1983; Commemorative gold, as early as 1903, I believe.

Divide commemoratives into two groups, the classic from 1892 to 1954 and the
modern from 1982 to present. All coins can be collectible and I have never
tired from seeing a nice Mercury dime, WL half, Indian head cent, wheat back
cent, or frosty Morgan dollar. My favorite to collect are classic
commemorative halfs, for these reasons;

1. Variety. 48 different half dollar designs between 1892 and 1954. Some
designs are great, some are good, some are sad. But each gives one
something a little different to study.

2. Low mintages. 48 half dollar designs, 142 different dates and mint
marks, but only 12.07 million total mintage for all 48/142. That is
enough classic halfs to allow one in 22 Americans to own one example of any
kind, and the interest for classic halfs goes beyond the USA. Mintages run
from 2,003 for the 1935/34-D Boone to 2 million plus for the 1952
Washington/Carver half. 69 dates and mint marks with less than 10,000
mintage.

3. Investment potential. Not at all guaranteed, but when I introduced
myself to classic halfs back in 1998, I speculated that the state quarter
issuance would generate new interest in the coin collecting hobby I
speculated that millions would collect the new state quarters. I surmised
that of the millions, there would be thousands who would delve deeper into
the hobby. Of those thousands, I speculated there would be a number with
nice discretionary $s to finance their new hobby. I figured, as the years
went by, that hundreds of new collectors would discover and pursue classic
commemorative halfs. With such low mintages, I felt the pressures on the
prices would be immense, even with new collectors only numbering in the
hundreds. I still believe there is the potential for tremendous price
increases in this series over the next few years and only regret that I have
not been able to afford to make more purchases for the sake of speculation.
This same price pressure will be seen throughout the hobby, in all series,
but I feel that in many instances the supply will adequately meet the new
demands without exponential price increases, but not so with any issue with
very low mintages. With those, prices could double, triple,...?.

4. History. Lot's of fun here. Lots of classic halfs issuances were sprung
from nothing more than the desire to make some bucks. Low mintages were
intentionally contrived. Distribution was manipulated for the benefit of a
few. Many designs have two stories, one historical and one hysterical.

5. Fun. I may have been all wet, but I remember one of my attractions was
the Bridgeport half, portraying PT Barnum on the obverse. I couldn't
believe a US coin would portray P. T. Barnum. It still sounds like
something one could make into a good winning bet at a bar.

Virtually all classic commemorative halfs designs have a percentage that
have either circulated or suffered mishandling, mishandling either at the
mint or in the hands of unsophisticated collectors. Most classic halfs did
not sell out and had quantities returned to the mint for melting. The
Columbian Expo half was distributed into commerce after the inventory did
not sell out. Not true with the modern commems, a circulated modern would
likely be stolen goods.

HTH. Bill

Old August 3rd 03, 05:25 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

John Carney wrote:

[...]

I agree, but hurriedly add the 'California' coins, Jubilee, Bay Bridge,
San Diego.

Alan
'all design issues'
Old August 3rd 03, 07:39 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Steve355 wrote:

Alan & Erin Williams wrote in message ...

(snip)
There are two places there to vaccinate
yourself against Commem Fever. One is in the section on 'Commemorative
Silver'. Look for the Monroe Commemorative Half. Look at the pricing
for that coin in MS-60 ($47). Now look at the price listed for MS-65.
If that does not arrest the disease, look at the Illustration under
'Modern Commemoratives', 'Special Olympics Games'.

Alan
'repeat as needed'

But if you read Bowers' book, you'll be hooked...

Steve

Absolutely true. ;-) One of my favorite reads. I got mine on EbaY and
spent three worrisome weeks waiting for it to arrive 'book rate'.

Alan
'Turtleback Shipping Ltd.'
Old August 3rd 03, 07:54 PM

Buy a few and you will be hooked. But you should decide if you are going
classic or modern and then if you want unc or proof.

I prefer modern. I just plain love them. I started with the silver
dollars, then went to the havles, then the gold, and now just ordered
the Wrights Bros. commem.

It really is CONTAGIUOS. lol

Old August 3rd 03, 09:47 PM
Steve355

"John Carney" wrote in message ...
[...]

The Spanish Trail is a god awful looking coin; but if you collect the half type
set, you'll eventually hold your nose and buy it.

It was my last commem to finish the set....

Steve
Old August 4th 03, 01:14 AM
John Carney

"Steve355" wrote

The Spanish Trail is a god awful looking coin; but if you collect the half type
set, you'll eventually hold your nose and buy it.

It was my last commem to finish the set....

Steve

I think Bob Rudd just might force me to buy one. )

lucrative Mathew Hadley Juke Boxes 1 October 10th 04 04:22 PM
FS: 1977 OPC "Saturday Night Fever" 66-Card Set J.R. Sinclair Cards:- non-sport 0 October 5th 04 06:26 AM
Numismatic Fever Larry Louks Coins 7 July 25th 03 06:35 AM