FA: 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent $1795 with no reserve

Old March 28th 05, 02:35 AM
Ira Stein

Default FA: 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent $1795 with no reserve

Starting well under my cost...and never before on eBay..let's see where
the market will take this one! In an old, circa 1991 green label slab.

See it at:

Check out my 1914-D Lincoln Cent while you're there.

Thanks.

Ira

Old March 28th 05, 06:59 AM
PC

"Ira Stein" wrote in message
oups.com...
Starting well under my cost...and never before on eBay..let's see where
the market will take this one! In an old, circa 1991 green label slab.

See it at:

Check out my 1914-D Lincoln Cent while you're there.

Thanks.

Ira

Never before been listed on e-Bay? Why there have been plenty of 1909-S
VDBs on e-Bay over the years. Granted they were counterfeit...

Old March 28th 05, 07:18 AM

On 27 Mar 2005 17:35:37 -0800, "Ira Stein" wrote:
Starting well under my cost...and never before on eBay..let's see where
the market will take this one! In an old, circa 1991 green label slab.

See it at:

Gorgeous coin, but... never before on eBay? And, I quote from the
auction text: "This date, the Key to the Series, has never been listed
on ebay before." If that statement had been made by anyone else, it
would have been mocked here, and, arguably, rightly so.

I can see it now... "never been offered on eBay before? There's
several other S-VDB's as I type this, and usually are. And what's with
all the other hype and exclamation points? "The Key!", "...the present
you've always wanted!", "...well under my cost with no reserve!"...
sounds so desperate. He has decent feedback, but those are all red
flags."

Then again, maybe I'm just too objective for rcc... some can't see the
forest for the trees... others can't see the sacred cows beyond the
herd.

Chuck
Old March 28th 05, 07:39 AM
dmzcompute

Come on guys. Give Ira a break. I am sure he just means that this
partcular 1909SVDB has never been on ebay before. After all it is in an
old green holder from 1991 so in 14 years it has never been listed on
ebay. Heck he has sold many of them in PCGS and NGC holders himself on
ebay and all of them were outstanding.

David

Old March 28th 05, 07:58 AM

On 27 Mar 2005 22:39:01 -0800, "dmzcompute"
wrote:
I am sure he just means that this partcular 1909SVDB has never
been on ebay before.

And how would he know that for sure? And, more importantly, why would
it matter to any potential bidder?

Chuck
Old March 28th 05, 02:04 PM
Ira Stein

You are right about the text, Chuck.

I should have written "this COIN has never been listed on eBay before"
instead of "this DATE has never been listed....etc." I've since
corrected the text of that auction, but red flags? Something suspicious
here? What could that be?

The coin is listed at a level more than $600 under my cost with no
reserve. I just purchased it a few days ago at the West Palm Beach show
and it came from an older gentlemen that had it slabbed about 14 years
ago and he's owned it before then in pre-slabbing days. Just trying to
see of I can get a real auction going. Since eBay started charging 1%
each time a reserve is used, on items of the value I sell the added
costs would be burdensome, so I tend to list at my minimum with no
reserve. This time, I sure hope bidders bring the final price over my
cost, but we'll see, won't we?

Ira

Old March 28th 05, 07:44 PM
Bill Krummel

wrote:
I am sure he just means that this partcular 1909SVDB has never
been on ebay before.

And how would he know that for sure? And, more importantly, why would
it matter to any potential bidder?

Chuck

Right or wrong, I do get impressed when I see the opportunity for a
desirable coin for less than the dealer's cost. It does tend to make it
more of an auction atmosphere, less of a dealer to customer transaction.

I am not in the market for Lincoln cents nor am I in the market for $1,800
coins. If I was a Lincoln collector and could afford this type of purchase,
I would be interested in Ira's auction, mainly because of the information he
provides.

I see nothing wrong with the auction description, as corrected, and I would
feel that way regardless of who the seller was. I am accustomed to seeing
typos in Ira's posts and I have seen some in his auction descriptions
before. At no time have I ever felt that it caused his character to be
questioned. My feeling has always been that Ira expects better performance
from his typing fingers than he gets, and he wants us to read what he means,
not what he says. I often make typos and I catch most, but a number still
get through. The typo that I have often made and I think have caught
everytime is the one I am purposely making in this post and leaving as is.

Bull

Old March 28th 05, 08:41 PM
Randy Thompson

Bill Krummel wrote:

Bull

Is this the typo or a self-assesment of your own post?

Old March 28th 05, 08:52 PM
Bill Krummel

"Randy Thompson" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill Krummel wrote:

Bull

Is this the typo or a self-assesment of your own post?

Exactly.

FS - a few "Gold" cards Dogger Hockey 0 December 6th 04 07:15 PM
4 Sale - UD Gold Reserve Dogger Hockey 0 June 6th 04 10:55 AM
FS - Singles LD19612003 Hockey 0 April 14th 04 08:09 AM
FS - 98/99 Gold Reserve Dogger Hockey 0 November 21st 03 06:00 AM
Re - Singles 4 Sale C Dean Hockey 0 October 6th 03 10:44 PM