WTT: Holed half cent

Old August 5th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

Default WTT: Holed half cent

This is to any dealers who might have a holed Coronet half cent
(1849-1857) in a cull box or to a fellow collector of holed coins who
has a dupe. I'm doing a wacky little type set of holed U.S. coins I
can find for under $10. The only one left I can reasonably expect to
find for under $10 is the above. I keep missing eBay auctions of them
either when they sell for a dollar or two above $10 or when I miss the
end of the auction.

I can trade any of these dupes of mine: holed 1819 large cent, holed
1947-D Jefferson nickel, holed 1850 Seated dime, holed 1883 Seated
dime, holed Liberty Seated quarter (hole through the date), holed 1890
Morgan silver dollar (AG-3). If you ask I might trade two or even
three for the one.

Best to first respond here since I'm going through some changes with
my email. Thanks.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old August 5th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Holed half cent

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
This is to any dealers who might have a holed Coronet half cent
(1849-1857) in a cull box or to a fellow collector of holed coins who
has a dupe. I'm doing a wacky little type set of holed U.S. coins I
can find for under $10. The only one left I can reasonably expect to
find for under $10 is the above. I keep missing eBay auctions of them
either when they sell for a dollar or two above $10 or when I miss the
end of the auction.

I can trade any of these dupes of mine: holed 1819 large cent, holed
1947-D Jefferson nickel, holed 1850 Seated dime, holed 1883 Seated
dime, holed Liberty Seated quarter (hole through the date), holed 1890
Morgan silver dollar (AG-3). If you ask I might trade two or even
three for the one.

Best to first respond here since I'm going through some changes with
my email. Thanks.

I resisted signing up with eSnipe for years, but finally, frustrated as you
have been, either because I'm away at auction closing, or just plain forget
to bid on the lots, signed on for their two free weeks service to see how it
works. I was thrilled, and won four out of five lots with their help (the
one I didn't win was because I was too cheap). May I suggest you try
eSnipe, or one of the other sniping services?

James

Old August 5th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Aug 5, 1:29*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Reid Goldsborough wrote:
[...]

Been there, done that, many times. Should have mentioned this. I use
Cniper (www.cniper.com) these days instead of eSnipe because it's
free, though I have donated to the cause. But mostly I like to snipe
in real time, which can be great fun, if you win g, and if you don't
forget the end of the auction, which I do sometimes but not often.

Old August 6th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in holed
1947-D Jefferson nickel,

Or you can just send it back to the kind collector that sent it to you
gratis in the first place No, don't... that coin will haunt me.

Old August 8th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Aug 6, 10:14*am, "scottishmoney" wrote:
"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in holed

1947-D Jefferson nickel,

Or you can just send it back to the kind collector that sent it to you
gratis in the first place *No, don't... that coin will haunt me.

Your memory is better than mine, though mine is returning. The sad
fact is that I found another slightly better holed Jeff shortly
afterward, turning the nice gift from you into a dupe, but needless to
say thanks again. What goes around comes around, I guess. I've given
away quite a few late Roman bronze coins myself to friends, friends of
my kids, relatives, mailman, bank teller, and so on, people who I
happened to be talking coins to who expressed (or feigned) interest.
Always keep one attributed in a flip in my wallet for this purpose.

Old August 9th 08, 09:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Aug 7, 11:31*pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
[...]

I've yet to purchase a coin more than 200 years old. Maybe I will
soon. But I give away coins also. I love seeing the faces of my
younger cousins when they see an old coin. I always give them wheat
pennies or some of my cheaper twins, I have of other coins. I gave my
niece a silver mercury dime for her teething last year. She loves to
look at my coins. I have most of circulated pieces in a large
notebook, and when we look at them she calls them pages. I'm thinking
about buying her a mint set for her birthday in Octorber. Her birthday
is 7 days before mine and she will be 2. So you think I will get her a
silver birth set or something else, any Ideals?
Old August 9th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Mazor

"sgt23" wrote in message

I've yet to purchase a coin more than 200 years old. Maybe I will

soon. But I give away coins also. I love seeing the faces of my
younger cousins when they see an old coin. I always give them wheat
pennies or some of my cheaper twins, I have of other coins. I gave my
niece a silver mercury dime for her teething last year. She loves to
look at my coins. I have most of circulated pieces in a large
notebook, and when we look at them she calls them pages. I'm thinking
about buying her a mint set for her birthday in Octorber. Her birthday
is 7 days before mine and she will be 2. So you think I will get her a
silver birth set or something else, any Ideals?

Right now I would focus on items that would attract a toddler's attention, such as nice
golden Sacs and presidents and maybe a well-worn Morgan that won't lose any value by
cleaning it to a shiny finish. Just be sure to put them in a "swallow-proof" holder or
only let her hold them under direct supervision. When she's a little older, buy her a
cheap bag of glittery foreign coins and go through them with her showing on a globe where
they come from.

Mint sets are cheap enough that you can establish a tradition of giving her one every
birthday. That helps teach the value of pattern purchasing and collecting. You might
even get the ones going back to her birth year for Christmas. At some point she's going
to start asking for CDs and video games but there are worse things that you could be
remembered for than being "my uncle the coin nerd". ;-)

Old August 9th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Aug 9, 4:02*am, sgt23 wrote:

I've yet to purchase a coin more than 200 years old. Maybe I will
soon.

You can build an impressive set of nice and nice enough Constantinian
era (300 to 400 AD) bronzes very inexpensively, for $5 to $30 a coin.
Way older than 200 years. g The further back in time you go, the
more interesting it gets...

Old August 9th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Aug 9, 10:57*am, "John Mazor" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the advice. Hey all my friends already call me a history
and coin nerd. lol
Old August 9th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Aug 9, 4:09*pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
On Aug 9, 4:02*am, sgt23 wrote:

I've yet to purchase a coin more than 200 years old. Maybe I will
soon.

You can build an impressive set of nice and nice enough Constantinian
era (300 to 400 AD) bronzes very inexpensively, for $5 to $30 a coin.
Way older than 200 years. g The further back in time you go, the
more interesting it gets...

--

Consumer:http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur:http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit:http://rg.ancients.info/bog

The oldest coin I have at this point is a well worn 1807 Half cent, it
might grade G-4. But here lately I have been focusing alot foreign
coins. Buying short mintage stuff and that fancies my interest. So
tonite I may add my first 200+ year old coin and start another set I
will never be able to finsh "Mercury Dime and Wheat penny sets". Well
thats it for now going to ebay in a few.