First Printing / First State / a question

Old July 11th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Sam

Default First Printing / First State / a question

I have two copies of A Dark Place by Aaron Elkins (published by Walker
and Company). The dust jackets are identical except one has $12.95 for
the price while the second one has $13.95. Both books have a complete
number run (10 987654321). However, one book has "First published in
the United States of America in 1983 by the Walker Publishing Company,
Inc." while the other one has the same statement but the next line is
"This addition printed in 1985".

If I revert to numberline only, I would have two first editions, first
printings. However, since I have both in front of me, I know that the
second one is, I am assuming, a first printing, 2nd state?

How common is this practice? And where would one go to find out about
other books with this condition? Addall and Abe seem good starting
points, but I trust the information on these sites only a little more
than I trust the ads in eBay (after all, I see one dealer's books in
both places and would not trust him if he told me the sun is coming up
in the east).

Old July 11th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
fundog

"Sam" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have two copies of A Dark Place by Aaron Elkins (published by Walker
and Company). The dust jackets are identical except one has $12.95 for
the price while the second one has $13.95. Both books have a complete
number run (10 987654321). However, one book has "First published in
the United States of America in 1983 by the Walker Publishing Company,
Inc." while the other one has the same statement but the next line is
"This addition printed in 1985".

Does it really say this "addition"? That's sic.

Old July 11th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Sam

while the other one has the same statement but the next line is
"This addition printed in 1985".

Does it really say this "addition"? That's sic.

Yes, it says addition, NOT edition

Old July 11th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Sam

You may be pleased to discover that there are quite reputable posters on
this NewsGroup, who regularly buy and sell books on eBay.

michael adams

Michael,
Yes, there are reputable posters here who buy/sell on eBay. Along
with thousands, if not millions of others who are honest in their
dealings.
But there are also others who would like nothing better than to
make a few extra bucks by misleading the gullible buyers out there in
nether-ether land.
My point was simply this: Along with all the good dealers and
sellers, there are some shysters who cannot be trusted. And there are
also honest people out there who are badly misinformed - even on ABE!

One example: I bought a copy of Jack Finney's "From Time to
Time" which was purportedly a first printing. It was a book club
edition and the dealer bought it back from me with sincere apologies -
he was just ill informed.