What every needs to know about Nickel Hoarding

Old February 21st 05, 04:21 AM
winwin

Ed. Stoebenau intones:
Well somebody must be hoarding the 2006 nickels, since I haven't
run across any.

Ed, I just checked the Mint website. They're completely sold out of
the '06 nickels!

Regards,
Tom

Old February 22nd 05, 06:13 AM
Henry Mensch

On 2005-02-19 11:27:39 -0800, Vector said:

I have found in my pocket
change perhaps a half dozen 2004 nickels (a liberal estimate).

lucky you ... i *still* haven't seen one in my pocket change. the only
examples i've seen with my own eyes are in proof or unc sets from the
mint ...

--
# henry mensch / san francisco california
# http://www.henare.tk/

Old February 22nd 05, 11:18 PM
Vector

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:12:05 -0500, Alan Williams
wrote:

Why not spend twenty dollars on ten rolls of nickels? I think you'll
see that it's the incredibly common 1998 and 2001 nickels that are
crowding 2004's out of your pocket. ;-)

Well, I had the afternoon off work today, and I ran around town
gathering nickel rolls to conduct my survey. Figuring two things
would add to the survey's validity and accuracy: bought from 8
different locations, and for a total of 2,000 nickels (50 rolls, $100
worth).

It has been years since I last sorted through such a large number of
coins ... it will take a few days, no doubt. Years ago, when I had
more spare time (before that timesaving device 'the computer' came
into my life) I used to do this with cents. On several occassions, I
bought $100 worth of cents to go through. That was 5x as many coins
as what I have now in nickels.

With 2,000 nickels to go through, I'll probably find some interesting
enough for me to hang onto ; )

===============

www.peacepond.com
High quality environmental recordings
Old February 27th 05, 07:51 AM
Alan Williams

wrote:

[...]

Yesterday (Saturday) I went through $25 in rolls, ten of cents and ten
of nickels. I can't say I'm displeased. ;-)
These were "Dunbar Cash Vault Service" rolls, machine wrapped.

In the cents I found four Canadians, including a 1957 and my favorite
small copper design, the 1967 Centennial (Dove). There were three
wheats cents, a 1945, a 1935-S and a 1916!

In the nickels, it was slow going at first, and strangely, I found
nothing more recent than 2002. But I did find a 1952-D, a 1943-P 35%
silver 'War Nickel' and a 1930 Buffalo!

The Buffalo is only the second I've found in circulation, and it grades
no less than fine. It has a half horn but the obverse shows more wear. ;-)

Alan
'seek and ye shall find'
Old February 27th 05, 01:13 PM
Jim Wild

I agree that the Keel boat is rare to find in change. (VA here). I think
I have seen 4 so far. But the Buffalo will be hoarded by common people
just like the Sacs were.

Due to my impatience, I did buy the Buffalo P&D on ebay for 1.30, free
s/h. I figure that way I will have a non scratched example in good time.
Just like the quarters, you have to catch them out of the roll at 7-11
or they seem to get dinged quickly.

I bet that your average Joe has no idea that these new Nickels are even
out there. They will be hoarded. I had a co-worker walk up to me 2 weeks
ago (as the resident coin collector) He asks if I had ever seen this
boat nickel before. "Yes", about 9 months ago.

Speaking of 2005 coins. I also actually bought the 2005 P-D Kennedys.
Why? Since Whitman Kennedy #3 starts in 2004. Now there is the
question,,, When is the last time you received a Kennedy half in change?
Not in the last 25 years at least, is my guess. So all these new designs
for common coins is a good thing in the world of the coin collector and
dealer. And if you are a dealer these days, eBay must be a God-send.
That is,,, if you are doing it right.

Bottom line; I hope the designs continue to change in coming years. It
sparks an interest that is beneficial to everyone in here.

Jim

Old February 27th 05, 02:40 PM
Alan Williams

Jim Wild wrote:

(snip)

Speaking of 2005 coins. I also actually bought the 2005 P-D Kennedys.
Why? Since Whitman Kennedy #3 starts in 2004. Now there is the
question,,, When is the last time you received a Kennedy half in change?
Not in the last 25 years at least, is my guess.

You do not spend enough time in the mystical world of Ca-See-No. I
receive many Kennedy Half Dollars when I go to Ca-See-No. ;-)

So all these new designs
for common coins is a good thing in the world of the coin collector and
dealer. And if you are a dealer these days, eBay must be a God-send.
That is,,, if you are doing it right.

Bottom line; I hope the designs continue to change in coming years. It
sparks an interest that is beneficial to everyone in here.

I agree that continued change is needed, not to create annual
opportunities for speculators, but because US coin design had stagnated
for several decades.

Alan
'1938-2003, RIP Poor Jeff'

FS: first batch paragon Coins 0 January 25th 05 01:35 PM
Adventures of the RCC nickel BobbyShaw Coins 2 January 28th 04 11:11 AM
PR: NGC Confirms Authentication of Recovered 1913 Liberty Nickel ANA Paper Money 1 September 11th 03 08:01 PM
PR: NGC Confirms Authentication of Recovered 1913 Liberty Nickel ANA Coins 0 September 11th 03 07:18 PM
PR: Rediscovered 1913 Liberty Nickel Comes to ANA Money Museum ANA Paper Money 0 August 26th 03 10:08 PM