Question about autographs off Ebay

Old January 13th 05, 07:47 PM
mb

Default Question about autographs off Ebay

Hello All,
I'm new to the autograph collection world so go easy on me ok?

I've been looking at purchasing autographs off ebay and before I fork
over my hard earned cash, I'm looking for some advice/opinions.

First of all, does anyone know anything about the seller listed as
Selective Resources Autographs, Inc? They are selling a couple of
autographed pictures that I am considering and I'd like to know what you
guys think.

Secondly, how do I ensure the items are indeed authentic? For example,
this seller has a COA but I could sell my old socks, claim they're
really Elvis' and print up a COA - is the COA worth anything I guess is
the question I am asking.

Thanks
mb
Old January 13th 05, 08:48 PM
pe2

To me, personally-the COA is only worth the paper it is printed on.

Always, ask the dealer the history behind the autograph. where it was
obtain, who got it, when, etc. Also-if the seller has photo proof-that's a
big plus as well, in other words-picture of the person signing the item, and
a photo with the celebrity/dealer.

And to, another be thing-if the seller is hiding his feedback on eBay-DON'T
buy!!!!!! you may or may not get what you pay for!

Just remember the old addage in english class-"Who, What, When, Where, How
and Why", when it comes to the autograph!!!

Hope this helps-
pe2

Old January 13th 05, 09:37 PM
Patrick

Secondly, how do I ensure the items are indeed authentic?

Sorry...there is no way to ensure they're authentic. Buying autographs off
eBay is a gamble. COA's unfortunately are worthless...like you said, you could
make one up yourself.

~Patrick
Old January 13th 05, 11:58 PM
Richard

If you are new to autographs the best advice you can get is:

DON'T BUY ON EBAY.

You will get burnt.
Buy from dealers who are dealer members of UACC or IADA. That will afford you
some degree of protection.
Don't let feedback on ebay guide your purchases. In the autograph business on
ebay, feedback means very little.
Old January 14th 05, 12:55 AM
pe2

yes, I got burnt twice from eBay'ers with great feedback. One one item-the
ink was still fresh on the 8x10, and the other only about 50% sure of its
authenticity...

If I buy any autographs on ebay-it is usually autograph trading card
inserts.

Happy Hunting-
pe2

Old January 16th 05, 02:58 PM
dahoov2

There is no substitute for researching the sig. Question the seller
on everything and if they are nasty in responding... then don't buy.
UACC is a good idea, but as we all know, some are selling fakes there
too. That is not a guarantee but it helps. COA's mean nothing.
However, if from a reputible company that has been in business and has
a physical storefront which operates under the BBB in their state, the
COA's mean a bit more then. Make sure in those cases that if the COA
doesn't have all the pertinent information with it, you print out a
page with the emails/auction win to keep with it. That helps you
later on with Ebay, Pay Pal or whatever and it may contain information
too like location to support your accusation.

Things you need to have WITH your COA include:
Name of company/person running company and person who sold it (could
be employee)
address of physical location (if PO Box, be wary as usually PO Boxes
don't always accept merchandise.....so if they aren't means no refund)
email addresses of both the store and if any others came to your email
that are different.
phone numbers (keep all of it)
Any "guarantees" expressed that were not on the COA ... by the Ebay
page or the email exchanges.

Keeping all this will increase your odds of getting a refund should
something go amiss.

www.starwarsautographcollecting.com
http://dahoov2.topcities.com