Are 2008-2009 nickels scarce?

Old February 1st 10, 01:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Are 2008-2009 nickels scarce?

oly wrote:
On Jan 31, 4:27 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
oly wrote:
On Jan 31, 8:24 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

On Jan 29, 11:35 pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:

On Jan 30, 12:15 am, "Dr. Richard L. Hall"
wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, I went through 20 rolls of nickels that I
got from my
bank and didn't find a single 2009-dated nickel. There were a
handful of 2008's so at least they're out there. I didn't find
much else either, only
2 nickels before 1950, a 1939 and a 1949. Bummer!

I also went through 20 rolls of cents and found only 3 2009-dated
Lincolns,
all "professional life" types. Those were the first 2009 dated
coins that I
found except for 2 DC Terrritorial Quarters.

--
Richardhttp://coins.richlh.com/MyCoinLinks.htmhttp://www.richlh.com
Don't lament that the rose bush has thorns. Rejoice that the

."george pearl" wrote in message

I'VE never received one in my change yet and short of buying a
case of jeffersons and searching the lot, I'm not sure that they
are out there. Does anyone have any information on this?- Hide
quoted text -

You're doing better than I am, Doc. After helping my boss/partner
empty the coin-op washers and dryers this past week, I noticed my
second DC-P quarter. Still no PR, GU, AS, VI, or NMI. The Mint's
production figures say there are millions of them out there. I'm
not seeing them.

As for other 2009 coins, I've seen 2009 Kennedys (with thanks to
Jud) and a few sporatic cents. Trying to get rolls of anything new
from the local banks is an exercise in futility.

Jerry- Hide quoted text -

In the past month in Central Illinois, I've had all the 2009
quarters in change except the Marianas' coin. I've had all four of
the 2009 Linocln cents. Both the quarters and cents aren't over
abundant, but not impossible (and I cover a lot of territory
during the month - several cities between Quincy and Danville).
But, NO 2009 nickels or dimes.

On Saturday, the Mall Area here on the southwest side of
Springpatch looks like pre-recession "business as usual". Not the
other days of the week, but Saturday looks normal.

oly
====================

In the N VA suburbs, I see the restaurants and theaters as busy as
ever, but the malls seem to be struggling based on the limited
number of people in many of the stores. How many boutique mod
clothing stores can one area handle?

I also noted that the local coin shop (Century Stamps & Coins) that
had been in place for at least 30 years closed up/down a couple
weeks ago. Don't know if it was because of the economy or not, or
if it will be relocating, but it will be missed here. I often
wondered how it survived all those years with so few customers
around any time I stopped in. About like many antique shops. How
do they survive with maybe a handful of browsers each day? Mail
order? Dealer to dealer? Ebay?- Hide quoted text -

Like you, I find it is the restaurants and theaters that are most
busy.

Many shop dealers wait for "the big buy", or at least a series of
smaller good deals. They "make it" on the "buy" side, ship the
material to liquidate it.

Thirty years is a hell of a run for a local coin shop.

Aren't all coin shops local?

James- Hide quoted text -

Stack's, Spink, Coincraft, Harlan J. Berk's - these seem to rise well
above their particular locale. I suspect my list isn't all inclusive.

None of those mentioned are chains, they each operate from a single address.
Size shouldn't enter into the definition.

James

Old February 1st 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

[...]

To somebody undoubtedly, but not to all of us. But then we ARE in the
electronic age................

Old February 1st 10, 01:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Bruce Remick wrote:
"mazorj" wrote in message

This is off-topic, but perhaps illustrative: we had a Butternut
bread outlet in town that did a brisk business. At lease renewal
the building owner demanded twice the rent, and the company decided
to close the store rather than pay the increase. That was three
years ago. The building has since sat empty continuously.

I've often wondered why landlords do that - raise the rent to the
point where the tenant's business is no longer sustainable, forcing
it to vacate. The property then sits empty for months or years. Unless
the owner needs the tax write-offs, it seems to be the
product of stupid, arrogant greed. Both sides lose but only one
deserves it. Getting back on topic... Regarding the demise of coin
shops, as with
many small retailers, the Internet combined with the perceived
security of TPG slabbing has taken its toll on walk-in trade. And
ironically, many of the small specialty shops that are still
operating depend on Internet sales to make ends meet.

Over the years, several of the local coin shops would add stock in
whatever other hobby items were hot, e.g. comics, sports cards,
beanie babies, etc., in order to stay "relevant" and solvent. Lately,
that hasn't seemed to make a difference. Coin-wise, I agree
that eBay and an increasing distrust of any remainingy nice raw coin
that hasn't been submitted for slabbing must be taking a toll on any
strip-mall coin shops that depend on walk-in trade.

One problem you didn't mention is that coin shops (and dealers' cases at
coin shows, as well as eBay offerings) generally house several coins that
actually have been submitted for slabbing but didn't get slabbed. There
they sit, with no indication of their history, waiting for someone to
bite.

James the Bitten

I recall too many coins in those cases that wouldn't have rated even a
homemade slab. I'd like to think that the dealer realized that and reduced
the price accordingly, but then I'd like to think a lot of things. I'm
convinced that most of the coins on display in those revolving tray cases
are overgraded and overpriced and are meant to sucker in the uninformed. As
a familiar customer, whenever I visited one of our "local" shops and
inquired about a specific coin, the prop seldom looked into the glass case
and instead pulled out a 2x2 coin box or a binder.

Old February 1st 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Bruce Remick wrote:
Bruce Remick wrote:
"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

I reckon the revolving trays would be the first and perhaps only things a
thief would get during a break-in, so there's not going to be primo material
in them. The better stuff will be locked in the safe.

James

Old February 1st 10, 10:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jass[_2_]

I noticed this too in change. Once in a while I get a "westward
journey" nickle, but nothing newer. I'd say 95% are pre 2004. State
quarters were extremely easy to find near release....until the 2009
series. I only just found an American Samoa coin. I also haven't seen
even one of the new pennies.

As for dimes....the date is too small, so I never bother to check. Ive
never gotten a half dollar newer than 2001.

Dollar coins on the other hand are extremely easy to find. I've gotten
a great mix of presidents and new sacs from MBTA (mass transit) ticket
machines.
Old February 2nd 10, 07:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

Aren't all coin shops local?

To somebody undoubtedly, but not to all of us. But then we ARE in the
electronic age................

SHUSH! We don't want to encourage anybody with ideas about replacing
currency with purely electronic forms of "money".

If nothing else, how are you going to enjoy confounding a cashier when
halves and dollar coins go the way of the two-cent piece?

Vagrant thought: If there is a transitional period where paper money and
coins are on the way out in favor of a universal debit card, it will give
new meaning to the question "Paper or plastic?"

- mazorj, Monetary Luddite

Old February 2nd 10, 11:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

Aren't all coin shops local?

To somebody undoubtedly, but not to all of us. But then we ARE in the
electronic age................

SHUSH! We don't want to encourage anybody with ideas about replacing
currency with purely electronic forms of "money".

If nothing else, how are you going to enjoy confounding a cashier when
halves and dollar coins go the way of the two-cent piece?

Vagrant thought: If there is a transitional period where paper money and
coins are on the way out in favor of a universal debit card, it will give
new meaning to the question "Paper or plastic?"

- mazorj, Monetary Luddite

I noticed in the paper last week that some local parking meters have been
converted to accept credit cards. I've seen this elsewhere, too. Oddly, in
the article, there was no mention of whether the machines already or soo
will accept dollar coins. Plastic and electronics do seem to be taking
over. How long will it be before a few holdouts wave their cash but nobody
is willing to accept it?

We may end up skipping right over that dollar bill vs dollar coin issue, as
encroaching plastic and electronics will essentially solve that problem.

I don't expect to see coins and paper money totally disappear in the US in
my remaining lifetime, but it's already getting pretty close to being
unnecessary in one's daily routine. I never thought I'd be able to
experience all Las Vegas has to offer (well, almost all) without a dollar in
my wallet.

Old February 2nd 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Hugh G. Rection

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

Another disappearing form of payment is the personal check.
I don't write more than 1 or 2 a month anymore, preferring to pay online
whenever possible.

Old February 3rd 10, 12:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RAV

On 2/2/2010 5:03 PM, Bruce Remick wrote:
wrote in message

"Bruce wrote in message

"Mr. Jaggers"lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote in message

[...]

Here in Montgomery County, MD, some of the parking meters now say you
can pay via cell phone. I don't know how that works, but it's
apparently yet another alternative.
Old February 3rd 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

I think it's ironic that the personal check, credit card, and cash have
coexisted as popular means of payment for decades, yet we seem to have a
serious problem today accepting both our dollar coin and dollar bill as
payment options.

Where are 2009 nickels and dimes Jim Dunigan Coins 2 October 4th 09 12:07 AM
2008/2009 TV Show Status (11/21/08) Gummby3[_2_] Autographs 0 November 21st 08 10:18 AM
2008/2009 TV Show Status (9/26/08) Gummby3[_2_] Autographs 0 September 27th 08 12:28 AM
Two scarce nickels Alan Williams Coins 1 September 28th 04 12:48 PM
FA: Some very scarce thaler fractions and some really cruddy buffalo nickels Josh Moran Coins 0 February 13th 04 07:06 PM