Determining value of used books.

Old December 27th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Determining value of used books.

foad wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
On Dec 26, 6:07 am, "foad" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

No. Any sort of printed price guide is essentially out of date by
the time
it is published. (The only exception perhaps being a price guide to
books

==========

Way to set those margins newbie.

Excuse me, fellow, but since when have I claimed to be
engaged in any such boring-sounding activity as "setting
margins?' I stopped "setting margins" when I put my
Smith Corona out to pasture quite a while back... Whee...

==========

Exactly newbie, you hadn't set your margins, which is why your post
looked so retarded. You're new to the usenet obviously, but there are a
bunch of conventions such as line length that you'll be expected to
follow. Some of them, such as x posting (that's when you post to more
than one group at a time) you might be able to master, despite how
stupid you seem. Others will probably be beyond your limi9ted
intelligence. Anyway, if you need any more pointers I'll be happy to
help you out. I am well known in the usenet for my helpfulness and
philanthropy.

Beyond the facts that (1) Bill is not a newbie and (2) this
rant of yours is beyond silly, his messages showed up
perfectly fine on my news reader. Perhaps, the problem is
that you have set your margins to narrowly.

--
Francis A. Miniter

ως ουκ αν αιων' εκμαθοις βροτων, πριν αν
θανη τις, ουτε ει χρηστος ουτ’ ει τω κακος.
Old December 27th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bill[_2_]

On Dec 26, 5:22*pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:
foad wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
On Dec 26, 6:07 am, "foad" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Sensible words, but what you may not know is that
the troll in question is "Fundoc", who has been slinking
around under a new name since I raked him over glowing
newsgroup coals a while back for both his ignorance and
his impertinence. This odd and paltry fellow has been
pestering me for attention almost since I came into
Usenet in 1995. In essence, he is a notorious, though
minor, newsgroup pest, annoying to most readers and
downright repugnant to a good many others.
While your comments make sense, be assured he
won't listen and will no doubt flail back with wet-noodle
sentiments befitting a medfly. Sad.

[Memo from the upstairs office]

--
Francis A. Miniter

* * *' * *, *

Old December 27th 08, 05:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bill[_2_]

He's ashamed.
Old December 27th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
foad[_10_]

"Bill" wrote in message

Sensible words, but what you may not know is that
the troll in question is "Fundoc",
==========

Be fair BiLp, you didn't know who the troll in question was until the troll
in question told you who the troll in question was, you being too stupid to
figure it out yourself, depite its obviousosityness. Before that you were
cowering behind the couch ranting about Menjy and wetting yourself.

who has been slinking
around under a new name since I raked him over glowing
newsgroup coals a while back for both his ignorance and
his impertinence.
===========

Hardly true, and for any number of reasons, not the least of which is that
you were to get anywhere near a rake and a bunch of coals you'd no doubt
step on the end of the rake, causing the handle to fly up and smash you in
the forehead, causing you to fall into the coals, where you'd burst into
flame due to the enormous quantities of gas you emit. Better safe than
sorry. As to my new identity - not that it's any of your business - but it
was as the Germans say an affaire de coeur, and I didn't have to murder any
of her siblings either. Nothing you'd understand, so don't trouble yourself.

This odd and paltry fellow has been
pestering me for attention almost since I came into
Usenet in 1995.
===========

If by pestering me for attention you mean "kicking me until his leg gets
tired to the great amusement of his many fans" then yes. Elsewise no.

In essence, he is a notorious, though
minor, newsgroup pest, annoying to most readers and
downright repugnant to a good many others.
While your comments make sense, be assured he
won't listen and will no doubt flail back with wet-noodle
sentiments befitting a medfly. Sad.
==============

OTC, Palmjabber, I am a well regarded - and surprisingly well behaved -
member of of this group in good standing. As such I even enjoy your little
essays about the shoebox full of Harvey comics you call a book collection,
although I suspect you over estimate their desireability. As other group
members have mentioned, the semen stains encrusted on Little Audrey will
affect both value and collectibility.

Old December 27th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
foad[_10_]

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message

Beyond the facts that (1) Bill is not a newbie and (2) this rant of yours
is beyond silly, his messages showed up perfectly fine on my news reader.
Perhaps, the problem is that you have set your margins to narrowly.

No. Here's the google version of the bLiP post in question. See the first
paragraph. See the line breaks.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...3?dmode=source

Old December 27th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

foad wrote:

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message

Beyond the facts that (1) Bill is not a newbie and (2) this rant of
yours is beyond silly, his messages showed up perfectly fine on my
news reader. Perhaps, the problem is that you have set your margins to
narrowly.

No. Here's the google version of the bLiP post in question. See the
first paragraph. See the line breaks.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...3?dmode=source

Ah, you are using Google as a reader. Use a Usenet reader.
Motzarella is a free one. Go to http://motzarella.org

Old December 27th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
foad[_10_]

foad wrote:

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message

Beyond the facts that (1) Bill is not a newbie and (2) this rant of
yours is beyond silly, his messages showed up perfectly fine on my news
reader. Perhaps, the problem is that you have set your margins to
narrowly.

No. Here's the google version of the bLiP post in question. See the first
paragraph. See the line breaks.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...3?dmode=source

Ah, you are using Google as a reader. Use a Usenet reader. Motzarella is
a free one. Go to http://motzarella.org

I'm not using Google as a reader, no. I'm showing you the post as it exists
in the Deja Mountain, the offical compendium of BiLp's idiocies, or as I
prefer to think of it, Mount Rushmore carved out of twaddle.

Old December 27th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bill[_2_]

On Dec 27, 5:39*am, "foad" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

[Fundoc's perverted slurs snipped. It amazes me
how often this sort of troll gives himself away by
trying to attribute to others the nasty perversions
which fester in the match-head sized bundle of
neurons he flatters as his brain.]

By the way, what people may not realize is that
back in the early 1950's Harvey published some of
most terrifying horror comics ever. Harvey was not
all about Richie Rich, Casper, and Little Dot. However,
after they dropped their horror comics line in the
mid-1950's with the coming of the Comics Code
Authority, Harvey (meaning whoever owns the
current rights to Harvey Comics) seems to have
become ashamed of their horror comics. They
should not have be:they had artists like Bob
Powell and Howard Van Nostrand, some of the
best in the business in those days. I don't
know if the Harvey horror stuff has gone into
the public domain, but recently I have found
some excellent reprints which have included
Harvey stuff with no mention of Harvey. {One
possiblity might be that whoever put out the reprints
I refer to paid for the re-publishing rights but agreed
not to use the Harvey name, in order to "protect"
their image, which is now associated with Little
Audrey, Richie, etc.}

It might be added, Fundoc,that I have not collected
comic periodicals in years. At one time, I had a
superb and frankly quite vast collection from what
some now call the "Atomic Age", the period from
after World War II to the mid-1950's. (To people
who know nothing about comics: This period is
not so well-known because it came between the
end of the Golden Age of the super-hero period,
and the "Silver Age" superhero-period of the 1960's.
Conversely, the "Atomic Age" was not about
superhero comics,but rather, horror, science fiction,
crime, western,war, romance, and teen-age comics,
although Classic Comics and some funny-animal
comics by Disney and others remained immensely
popular. Probably the most famous comics of the
"Atomic Age" comics were the EC's, but there were
many other great comics published during that era.
At one time, I had a sizeable percentage of them,
with almost all the EC's., including the first 23
Mads which were ten-cent comics before Bill
Gaines went over to his magazine format in
the mid-1950's.

[Footnote: At the most recent Comic Con
convention I noticed that one of the dealers was
offering the comic book I had once referred to
in a posting -- not in this group --, about a comic
which,in the early 1950's in a terrifying manner
seemed to predict Charles Manson! That cover
still gives me the shudders, Anyway, the
seller at the Comic Con was asking around
$3,000 for it.]

I sold my comic collection many years ago
because the comics were getting too old and
too valuable and needed too much protection
and maintenance, My own view is that
collecting should be fun: having thousands of
sealed comics you don't want anyone to
touch because the pulp paper makes them
extremely delicate is not my idea of enjoyment
through collecting.

Many of the great old comics deserve to be
reprinted and it seems to me that more of
that is occurring, though not nearly enough.
Just imagine a situation where if you wanted
the read Charles Dickens you would have to
obtain a first edition. That's about the way
it is with some wonderful old comics (and
I mean both newspaper comics and comic
books)

Fundoc's ignorant cheapshots rely
on the notion that I should be ashamed over
any reference to comics in a distinguished
book collecting forum such as this. His
very narrow consciousness does not seem
to grasp at all the validity of comic art as
an authentic medium for both communication
and artistic expression. That'''s what I mean
when I refer to him as a paltry fellow. He
considers himself a great wit when quite
the opposite remains true. It seems to me
it was Wallace Stevens who coined the
phrase "...a lustered nothingness.." but
with poor Fundoc, the luster on his
nothingness seems shabbily foxed and
pathetically distressed...

Old December 28th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bill[_2_]

On Dec 27, 1:38*pm, "foad" wrote:

[...]

He' knows he's caught red-handed now! He's wracking that
small, cognitively-malnourished brain of his trying to think of
something to scurry back with. 'Twill be of no avail...I am
waiting for him to actually prove dumb enough to lash back
at me by decreeing that comics should not be discussed
in a book collecting forum. His mind will prove far too dim to
grasp that comics have been published in hardcover form
since before World War One, and many-hundreds of them
have been published since then, including newpaper reprints
of strips like "The Yellow Kid" and "Little Nemo", comic book
reprints, such as all the Marvel and DC hardcover reprints of
superhero comics currently on sale, as well as comics such
as "Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth" which are
published as hardcover originals. Contray to the ignorant
jibes of "The Paltry One", hardcover comics of one type or
another have been sought as collectbles for decades. But
don't tell him that, and ruin his "devastating" rebuttal before
he taxes his feeble mind to type it...

[Memo from the upstairs office]
Old December 28th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
foad[_10_]

"Bill" wrote in message
On Dec 27, 5:39 am, "foad" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

[Fundoc's perverted slurs snipped. It amazes me
how often this sort of troll gives himself away by
trying to attribute to others the nasty perversions
which fester in the match-head sized bundle of
neurons he flatters as his brain.]

========
The alleged flame giant begins his soon to be hosed Ode to Tedium with: an
IKYABWAI. Some things never change: all aboard Cleveland.

By the way, what people may not realize is that
back in the early 1950's Harvey published some of
most terrifying horror comics ever.
=============
I for one have no doubt that you **** your pants in terror while reading
Baby Huey. Don't worry though, most birds don't get that big, so they won't
hurt you. Emus sure, and maybe ostrich. Not chickens though. And they don't
wear diapers either if that's what you were worried about.

snip

[Footnote: At the most recent Comic Con
convention I noticed that one of the dealers was
offering the comic book I had once referred to
in a posting -- not in this group --, about a comic
which,in the early 1950's in a terrifying manner
seemed to predict Charles Manson! That cover
still gives me the shudders, Anyway, the
seller at the Comic Con was asking around
$3,000 for it.]
==================

The true story is somewhat different, viz: PliB once read a comic book and
being somewhat retarded and a big girls blouse it caused him to soil his
trousers and left him "afraid to go to bed." So moved was he by the
experience that he wrote an interminable and stupid essay about it that was
relentlessly pilloried by everyone who managed to read any part of it before
falling dead asleep. This savaging BiLp trumpeted as a literary triumph
until an intrepid soul managed to wade thru the both BlIp 's tripe and the
ensuing mockery - which can be summed up thusly, "Palmer has not lost his
ability to out-stupid himself." -- and collect the detritus here. After all
these years it still makes an amusing read.

http://groups.google.com/group/misc....82fa3389?hl=en

I sold my comic collection many years ago
=======

In that case I've taken the liberty of hosing the rest of your interminable
screed, as this group is for collectors, not former collectors. Still, if
you run across another rare and terrifying Herman and Katnip first edition
that seems to predict the Kenndy assassination or whatever and you wish to
share the matter in group, feel free.