6/1/94 Series III Rockola Bubbler with S-5Control system and a overnight Memory probl

Old September 4th 14, 01:11 AM
JeffP JeffP is offline
Member

Location: Ringwood NJ 07456
Default 6/1/94 Series III Rockola Bubbler with S-5Control system and a overnight Memory probl

6/1/94 Series III Rockola Bubbler with S-5 Control system and a overnight Memory problem - Ni-Cd vs Lithium

Hi,

I just picked up a nice Rockola CD-8 Bubbler with black components off of Craigslist.

My problem is that it will not retain the Free Play 99 status after the machine is turned off for the evening.

in addition.... Total Plays and Total Selections are both zero.... They count up as expected when playing the machine... but when you shut the machine off and turn it back on they are zero again...

I removed in my opinion a non original Panasonic 3.6 Volt 110 mAh Ni-Cd AA size battery from the rear of the Control Unit PCB.

I feel that this Ni-Cd battery in incorrect due to the fact that this machine has a Black Control Center that has a RED sticker on the cover that says 57000-1A System 5A Control Unit usually requiring Lithium batteries...

So here are my questions:

My manual says it takes a Lithium Battery, When exactly was the changeover, the cabinet say that this machine was manufactured 6/1/94?

Do I have a machine that needs a NiCd battery that recharges (found on pre 1995 machines)
or
do I have a machine that uses a Lithium battery that does not get recharged (found on Newer models)?

I understand that if I have a Ni-Cd machine (pre 1995 machines), I need a 3.6 volts, 500 - 700MAH Ni-Cd AA size type battery

Could the non-original Panasonic 3.6 Volt 110 mAh Ni-Cd have not worked due to only having 110 mAh’s instead of the required 500 – 700 mAh’s?

Jeorge over at Rockola was pretty positive that it should take a Lithium battery too, but that did not work?

In addition, I can’t find a Ni-Cd AA battery locally for sale to see if that’s the problem , so before I order one online, I thought that I should send this out to the group for some feedback.

Or do you think I possibly could have some other problem that is not allowing the memory to be held overnight etc…

Thanks in advance for any and all help…

Jeff P.

P.S. I will be making another batch of 1954 Seeburg HF100R Cabinet Restoration Veneer kits that will be available around the holidays if anyone is interested.

Specs:
Antique Apparatus/Rock-Ola - CD8 Bubbler

Serial # 562318

Manufactured 6/1/94

Black Control Center that has a RED sticker on the cover that says 57000-1A System 5A Control Unit

The PCB inside the Control Center has a white sticker on it that says PCB Assy #57001-A, If you remove that sticker, printed on the board underneath it, it says 56215-A.

Black 280 Watt Amp 56180-1A

Black Power Distr. 56205-A, the Rectifier PCB in it says 56257-1A

It has a Philips CDM-4 Industrial CD player

Mech Control PCB Assy P/N 56995-A

Black CD Mech Control Assy 57066-A Interface 9404002423

Last edited by JeffP : September 5th 14 at 05:38 AM.
Old September 5th 14, 05:45 PM
JeffP JeffP is offline
Member

Location: Ringwood NJ 07456

Update,,,,, I remotely mounted a AA size battery holder off of the rear of the PCB and put a 3.6 v Lithium battery in it and the memory was saved overnight...

My first battery tray I installed had a factory defect in it that did not allow it to make a good connection to the battery which added much time to my troubleshooting of this matter.

All is good now except the fact that I did remove a Panasonic AA size Ni-Cd battery from the rear of the PCB and replaced it with a remotely mounted AA size Lithium...

Could this previously installed Panasonic Lithium battery ever have worked for the previous owner if this PCB does not have charging capabilities?

Do Ni-Cd batteries come charged prior to installing them? If they do, how long would an initial charge last in a jukebox when all it's used for is to hold its memory?

I just wish some one could chime in here and tell me for sure That a 6/1/94 first generation S-5 Rockola needs a Lithium over a Ni-Cd.... Or vise versa.

I know Charlie Maier is probably reading this post fom heaven right about now And wishing he could answer this on for me.

In addition, does anyone know how long it would take for a Lithium battery to blow up if it's being charged like a Ni-Cd.... I guess time will tell. At least it's remotely mounted and won't damage the PCB if or when it leaks.

Thanks in advance for any and all help…

Jeff P.

Specs:
Antique Apparatus/Rock-Ola - CD8 Bubbler

Serial # 562318

Manufactured 6/1/94

Black Control Center that has a RED sticker on the cover that says 57000-1A System 5A Control Unit

The PCB inside the Control Center has a white sticker on it that says PCB Assy #57001-A, If you remove that sticker, printed on the board underneath it, it says 56215-A.

Black 280 Watt Amp 56180-1A

Black Power Distr. 56205-A, the Rectifier PCB in it says 56257-1A

It has a Philips CDM-4 Industrial CD player

Mech Control PCB Assy P/N 56995-A

Black CD Mech Control Assy 57066-A Interface 9404002423

Last edited by JeffP : September 5th 14 at 08:48 PM.
Old September 5th 14, 08:48 PM
JeffP JeffP is offline
Member

Location: Ringwood NJ 07456

Latest update:

My Lithium 3.6 V AA battery went from 3.66 v to 4.24 v in a matter of a few hours....

So I guess my PCB is charging this battery leading me to beleive that I need the Ni-Cd 3.6 V battery....

Thanks Ron.... Now I'm off to find/buy a 3.6 v Ni-Cd cordless phone battery at Radio Shack LOL
Old October 9th 18, 06:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Hey jeff, i know its been 4 years, but if you still have this machine can you please email me at I have this same machine and have a few questions for you. Thanks.

WTB: Rockola CD Bubbler in Southern NH [email protected] Juke Boxes 0 September 18th 12 08:26 PM
ROCKOLA CD-8B CD8B BUBBLER JUKEBOX [email protected] Juke Boxes 2 August 29th 08 08:52 PM
Rockola CD-8 Bubbler Question Mark Juke Boxes 2 December 21st 07 03:06 PM
WTB: Rockola CD Bubbler rob Juke Boxes 1 May 22nd 06 04:45 AM
Need CPU Memory unit gor Rockola 496? Jim Murphy Juke Boxes 0 December 17th 04 01:42 AM