Gold proofs vs bullion value

Old February 10th 10, 04:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jack Deuce

Default Gold proofs vs bullion value

With the price of gold being as high as it is, how does this affect
the price of gold commemoratives and for that matter silver commem's
as well? I would think some would sell some of the commem's just for
the bullion value. Are the populations of these coins being reduced?

TIA
Old February 10th 10, 07:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

"Jack Deuce" wrote in message

With the price of gold being as high as it is, how does this affect
the price of gold commemoratives and for that matter silver commem's
as well? I would think some would sell some of the commem's just for
the bullion value. Are the populations of these coins being reduced?

TIA

How old is the gold and/or silver Commemorative coin?

How rare is the Commemorative coin?

Old February 10th 10, 08:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:45:45 -0600, Jack Deuce wrote:

With the price of gold being as high as it is, how does this affect the
price of gold commemoratives and for that matter silver commem's as
well? I would think some would sell some of the commem's just for the
bullion value. Are the populations of these coins being reduced?

If you're asking if people are melting commemorative coins, my guess
is no. The price increase isn't due to increased industrial or
manufacturing demand, so there's little reason not to trade the coin
itself rather than pay for melting, reforming, and paying for a new
assay.

Apmex, among other companies, regularly trade in random modern $5
U.S. gold commemorative coins:

http://www.apmex.com/Product/14078/5...ive_Coins.aspx

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles
Old February 11th 10, 12:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article ,
Michael Benveniste wrote:

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:45:45 -0600, Jack Deuce wrote:

With the price of gold being as high as it is, how does this affect the
price of gold commemoratives and for that matter silver commem's as
well? I would think some would sell some of the commem's just for the
bullion value. Are the populations of these coins being reduced?

If you're asking if people are melting commemorative coins, my guess
is no. The price increase isn't due to increased industrial or
manufacturing demand, so there's little reason not to trade the coin
itself rather than pay for melting, reforming, and paying for a new
assay.

Apmex, among other companies, regularly trade in random modern $5
U.S. gold commemorative coins:

http://www.apmex.com/Product/14078/5...ive_Coins.aspx

That webpage shows APMEX paying $258.62 for modern $5 gold commems,
which at the current $1071 spot price have $259.04 in melt value.

At a shop I help out at, we can get about $253 each by throwing them
into a "melt lot", and get a same-day check. The extra five-enna-half
bux from APMEX, less shipping/insurance, plus having to wait a week to a
month for payment, means that small quantities purchased over the
counter do indeed get melted. Ten or more, iffy ... twenny or more,
yeah, probably worth shipping unless we can find a local buyer at or
near the APMEX price ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics email:
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old February 11th 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jack Deuce

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:00:52 -0800, Ken Barr wrote:

In article ,
Michael Benveniste wrote:

[...]

I asked this because in the 80's when silver was 50.00/ounce the word
was common-date silver, mostly Morgans, were being melted for their
silver content thereby making common-dates more rare. I remember
reading that the new populations after the "melt" were hard to predict
as no one kept track of what dates were being melted down.

If someone had many of these gold commem's and wanted a quick buck for
their bullion content, could make the more common commems more
valuable by reducing their total population/mintage.

NGC to Certify Gold, Bullion Arizona Coin Collector Coins 0 May 28th 09 03:12 PM
FA: Gold Bullion (Well, Sort of) Coinenthusiast Coins 1 September 8th 07 06:42 PM
FA: Gold Bullion Bjorn Coins 0 January 9th 06 01:08 AM
Platinum Bullion vs Gold Bullion cris Coins 1 November 23rd 04 10:22 PM
Platinum Bullion vs Gold Bullion cris Coins 1 November 23rd 04 09:50 PM