Are 2008-2009 nickels scarce?

Old February 3rd 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dr. Richard L. Hall[_3_]

Default Are 2008-2009 nickels scarce?

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

Aren't all coin shops local?

To somebody undoubtedly, but not to all of us. But then we ARE in the
electronic age................

SHUSH! We don't want to encourage anybody with ideas about replacing
currency with purely electronic forms of "money".

If nothing else, how are you going to enjoy confounding a cashier when
halves and dollar coins go the way of the two-cent piece?

Vagrant thought: If there is a transitional period where paper money and
coins are on the way out in favor of a universal debit card, it will give
new meaning to the question "Paper or plastic?"

- mazorj, Monetary Luddite

I noticed in the paper last week that some local parking meters have been
converted to accept credit cards. I've seen this elsewhere, too. Oddly,
in the article, there was no mention of whether the machines already or
soo will accept dollar coins. Plastic and electronics do seem to be
taking over. How long will it be before a few holdouts wave their cash
but nobody is willing to accept it?

We may end up skipping right over that dollar bill vs dollar coin issue,
as encroaching plastic and electronics will essentially solve that
problem.

I don't expect to see coins and paper money totally disappear in the US in
my remaining lifetime, but it's already getting pretty close to being
unnecessary in one's daily routine. I never thought I'd be able to
experience all Las Vegas has to offer (well, almost all) without a dollar
in my wallet.

Actually, if I wasn't a coin collector, I probably wouldn't use cash at all.
Credit cards have become too easy to use. But I still like to search
through my change to see if there is anything worth keeping. But only use
cash for small purchases now.

--
Richard
http://coins.richlh.com/MyCoinLinks.htm

Old February 4th 10, 07:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jass[_2_]

On Feb 2, 2:03*pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

[...]

If youre talking about the new DC and Arlington meters, they do accept
dollar coins.
Old February 5th 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Lucky

On Feb 2, 4:03�pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

my wallet.- Hide quoted text -

Our meters take cards.
Old February 6th 10, 09:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message Tom Wayne wrote:

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:03:20 -0500, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, it would be difficult to pay a stripper in Las Vegas with a debit
or credit card. I suppose one could pay with a gift card, but that
might chafe a bit and cause the quality of the performance to
deteriorate.

A bag of dollar coins might have the same effect!

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :

Where are 2009 nickels and dimes Jim Dunigan Coins 2 October 4th 09 12:07 AM
2008/2009 TV Show Status (11/21/08) Gummby3[_2_] Autographs 0 November 21st 08 09:18 AM
2008/2009 TV Show Status (9/26/08) Gummby3[_2_] Autographs 0 September 27th 08 12:28 AM
Two scarce nickels Alan Williams Coins 1 September 28th 04 12:48 PM
FA: Some very scarce thaler fractions and some really cruddy buffalo nickels Josh Moran Coins 0 February 13th 04 06:06 PM