Found in a roll of cents

Old January 23rd 10, 11:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Petronius[_2_]

Default Found in a roll of cents

In going thru a roll of cents today, I came across an off-center 2000 cent -
about 35% off!

Old January 24th 10, 06:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Petronius" wrote in message
In going thru a roll of cents today, I came across an off-center 2000
cent - about 35% off!

Nice find. I check rolls and change for errors and varieties, and have yet
to discover anything that obvious to the unaided eye. Except for a few
pieces I got as a premium for joining CONECA or as childhood gifts from an
uncle, everything I have always required a magnifier and/or a reference
photo to catch.

If that was a mixed roll and it's not AU, you have to wonder how a coin like
that could have been in circulation for almost ten years without anyone
noticing. If it's AU it may have been sitting in a roll or jar all this
time

Old January 24th 10, 09:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Petronius[_2_]

This was the first significant error coin I've ever found searching rolls.
I was mainly looking for wheaties and was surprised (to say the least) to find
it.

Old January 29th 10, 07:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
george pearl

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Petronius" wrote in message
In going thru a roll of cents today, I came across an off-center 2000 cent -
about 35% off!

Nice find. *I check rolls and change for errors and varieties, and have yet to
discover anything that obvious to the unaided eye. * Except for a few pieces I
got as a premium for joining CONECA or as childhood gifts from an uncle,
everything I have always required a magnifier and/or a reference photo to
catch.

If that was a mixed roll and it's not AU, you have to wonder how a coin like
that could have been in circulation for almost ten years without anyone
noticing. *If it's AU it may have been sitting in a roll or jar all this time- Hide quoted text -

I'M amazed that you found such coin! I'VE gone thru thousands of
coins and have found coins that weren't properly struck
in the collar-- but no one wants those. My best find was a BU quarter
that had a rotated reverse--worth about $115.00
Old January 29th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Petronius" wrote in message
[...]

How far was it off in o'clock or degrees? That's one of those errors that
you really have to consciously focus on to catch, especially if the
discrepancy is only slight. And was it a state quarter or "regular" issue?

Old January 29th 10, 08:52 PM
eagle eagle is offline
Junior Member

Location: Kansas City,Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius[_2_] View Post
In going thru a roll of cents today, I came across an off-center 2000 cent -
about 35% off!
Great find petronius.
Old February 1st 10, 11:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
george pearl

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Petronius" wrote in message
[...]

discrepancy is only slight. *And was it a state quarter or "regular" issue?- Hide quoted text -

It was a wisconsin-D quarter. It was rotated more than 90 degrees. I
wasn't looking for it, but the
rotation was so obvious that I couldn't help noticing.

I went and got two more cases hoping to find more, but no such luck.
Old February 2nd 10, 01:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"george pearl" wrote in message
On Jan 29, 12:26 pm, "mazorj" wrote:
"george pearl" wrote in message

I'M amazed that you found such coin! I'VE gone thru thousands of
coins and have found coins that weren't properly struck
in the collar-- but no one wants those. My best find was a BU
quarter
that had a rotated reverse--worth about $115.00

How far was it off in o'clock or degrees? That's one of those
errors that
you really have to consciously focus on to catch, especially if the
discrepancy is only slight. And was it a state quarter or "regular"
issue?- Hide quoted text -

It was a wisconsin-D quarter. It was rotated more than 90 degrees.
I wasn't looking for it, but the
rotation was so obvious that I couldn't help noticing.

I went and got two more cases hoping to find more, but no such luck.

No wonder you got decent money for it. Nice.

Old February 3rd 10, 01:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Petronius" wrote in message
[...]

I went and got two more cases hoping to find more, but no such luck.- Hide quoted text -

Okay, George. Everybody's thinking the same thing, so I'll ask. High
or low leaf variety, or just a regular WI-D with an awesome rotated
reverse?

Jerry