This wheat cent does not look right

Old January 24th 10, 02:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
B.J.[_2_]

Default This wheat cent does not look right

On Jan 23, 12:15*pm, HeeHawkeye wrote:
I was looking at Ebay auction # 170434539530 . The '0' portion of the
date does not look right. Has anybody ever heard of a 1909 year minted
cent error like this?

So, when I win this coin where do I send it to get it slabbed? The
Accugrade web site isn't operational any more, so what company should
I use instead?
Old January 24th 10, 06:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Jan 23, 9:12*pm, "B.J." wrote:
On Jan 23, 12:15*pm, HeeHawkeye wrote:

I was looking at Ebay auction # 170434539530 . The '0' portion of the
date does not look right. Has anybody ever heard of a 1909 year minted
cent error like this?

So, when I win this coin where do I send it to get it slabbed? *The
Accugrade web site isn't operational any more, so what company should
I use instead?

If I were to hazard a guess, you would be best served by any TPG that
will certify it as genuine. I would also be willing to bet anything
from a nickel on down that none of the top 3 (i.e., ANACS, PCGS or
NGC) will do that.
Old January 27th 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
B.J.[_2_]

On Jan 23, 1:44*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Jan wrote:
It's an obvious punch. i can't believe it's up to $100.

The two bidders have feedbacks of 1 and 3 respectively. *Several possible
explanations come to mind, none of which are pleasant to contemplate.

James

No one else bid. I need to raise my estimate of the intelligence of
eBay buyers.

I communicated with the seller and was told that he and "three other
dealers" believe it is a 1909 with a reversed 9. He also claimed a
dealer offered him $300.

The seller also has auctions for scrap gold -- if you look at the
closed auctions none actually have a picture of the scrap. The
purchase history is even more interesting. Most of the auctions are
private, and when I tried to look at the non-private auctions most of
them were no longer on eBay (even from auctions with January 2010
feedback). Also, a high percentage of his purchases with recent
feedback are from NARU sellers.
Old January 27th 10, 02:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jan wrote:
[...]

As they say in the sunny land of France, "Quelle surprise!"

James

1959 Wheat cent: is there such a thing? The Space Boss Coins 5 May 19th 06 03:57 PM
Interesting Wheat cent Greg Shilts Coins 2 April 6th 06 06:43 AM
wheat cent values Shawn Coins 2 April 14th 05 03:12 PM
strange wheat cent barbara beardsley Coins 0 October 6th 04 07:30 PM
Strange wheat cent Neill Clift [MSFT] Coins 3 October 3rd 04 05:01 AM