Check out this Half Dollar Redesign proposal

Old January 16th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

Default Check out this Half Dollar Redesign proposal

"sgt23" wrote in message

I'm sorry to say it, but me and my generation unlike yours was able to
be.

I don't know what generation you are a member of (I suspect you're about
12 years old) but whatever generation it is, they surely deserve a
better spokesman than you.

Old January 17th 09, 06:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
rwalker

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 06:34:15 -0700, "Arizona Coin Collector"
wrote:

wrote in message

http://www.petitiononline.com/trhalfd/petition.html

Bush will no longer be President as of January 20, 2009 so
the petition is a waist of time. Today is Tuesday 01/13/2009.

Theodore Roosevelt will be on the one-dollar coin in 2013.
Source: http://www.usmint.gov/$1coin

The change is not going to happen on the 50-cent piece.

I think this same guy has been on this crusade for a decade or more
now.
Old January 17th 09, 07:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Jan 16, 9:09*am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"sgt23" wrote in message

On Jan 15, 11:55 am, wrote:

In article
, sgt23
wrote:

On Jan 14, 7:39=A0pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
RWF wrote:
"Dave Allured" wrote in message
The U.S. needs to drop the paper $1 and $2 bills, and the penny,
nickel,
and half dollar coins. =A0Just use dimes, quarters, dollar coins,
and
$5 coins; and I am no longer sure about the dimes.

SO, you suggest rounding to the nearest 10 cents?
You, sir, are an ass.

I've been reading about the Comstock Lode of the 1870s, and the
financial
situation that existed in the West at the time. =A0It seems that cents
an=
nickels did not circulate there at all, as the inflationary local
economy
dictated that everything would be rounded to the nearest dime. =A0That
wa=
s one
of the bullet points used to promote the minting of the ill-fated 20c
coi=
ns.
The other primary point was that the Spanish-American 2 reales was
still
very much in circulation out west, and when one was tendered for a 10c
purchase, only a dime would be returned as change.

James

I really don't want too see a dollar coin, it makes us here in the
united states look very european. Then whats next the amero? I'm sorry
but I'm completely against this. Their has been nothing but lies since
the beginning about this saving us money. The only way I would except
a dollar coin if it was made of silver. Once our government starts
backing our money with silver and gold again. It will be worth
something and we will be out of this economic mess.

sadly the world is too messed up to have coins with any chance of keeping
steady value. if we were the only country doing silver, it would leave the
country as fast as made, like what happened early in our history.
we've beat it to death, but a dollar coin won't fly unless there's no
paper
dollars.
i like dollar coins, but the one's i like are 38mm and not really useable.
how would our having real silver coins help? especially if we were the
only
ones doing it? they wouldn't last a week before they were smelted and
shipped
out.- Hide quoted text -

Because then our money would actually be backed by something other
than the false hope we have in our money now. I'm sorry to say it, but
me and my generation unlike yours was able to be. Have no faith in our
government anymore. The way we are seeing it and I hear this from a
lot of my friends. We will probably never be able to retire. We have
to work and pay for the mess that our government is leaving us right
now till the day we die. Unless by some miracle someone comes alone
and figures out how to cut the deficient in half in the next few
years. This will be the only way we will have to look at this mess. So
you guys can go head make fun of my grammar or spelling and what not.
But this how I feel. No dollar coin is going to save us anything. It
may help pay for the rest of your retirement life but we are still
screwed.
____________________

With that woe is me attitude, you likely will indeed get screwed since you
seem resigned to it. *I retired 12 years ago and have never lost faith in
our country or government. *I was raised during WW II so I, learned young
how to adapt my lifestyle to various economic conditions. *I saved early on,
lived within my means, and kept my financial house in order. *As long as you
rely on the government alone to keep you solvent without taking any creative
initiative yourself, all you can look forward to is more complaining.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah if we could have it as nice as the baby boomers. I would have
loved had to live back then. But I'm not able to and can only see what
is going on now. Our economy doesn't allow for much of making it
anymore. I hate looking in the glass and seeing almost empty. But
right now from where I set, I no longer see much hope. You can flame
if you like, but its not going to change my view.
Old January 17th 09, 09:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

sgt23 wrote:
On Jan 16, 9:09 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"sgt23" wrote in message

On Jan 15, 11:55 am, wrote:

In article
,

wrote:
RWF wrote:
[...]

keeping a
[...]

The world has been a hostile place since our eviction from the Garden of
Eden. Since that time, there never has been a generation born with a silver
spoon in its mouth. Oh, sure, one can always point to one individual or
another who appears to have been so born, but throughout the history of any
society you care to name, and for the vast majority of those afflicted with
being human, life has been a struggle to get ahead.

There have always been those who accept the challenges of that struggle,
rise up to figure out how to meet those challenges, and make something of
themselves, and there have always been those who resist the challenges,
believe in a Golden Age that never existed outside of fairy tales, sit
around blaming the world and refusing to take any responsibility for their
circumstances, and who live and die bitter men.

I wish I could say something here that would make you feel better about your
situation and yourself. If I were rich, I could give you one hundred
million dollars. That would certainly make you financially independent for
the rest of your life. You could do anything you wanted, have anything you
wanted. But you wouldn't be happy, of that I am certain, because it would
not be of your own making. So, in the absence of the 100 mil, you will have
to play with the hand you have been dealt, just as billions of human beings
before you. What you do with it is entirely up to you.

James

Old January 17th 09, 10:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

wrote:

wrote in message

http://www.petitiononline.com/trhalfd/petition.html

Bush will no longer be President as of January 20, 2009 so
the petition is a waist of time. Today is Tuesday 01/13/2009.

Theodore Roosevelt will be on the one-dollar coin in 2013.
Source: http://www.usmint.gov/$1coin

The change is not going to happen on the 50-cent piece.

I think this same guy has been on this crusade for a decade or more
now.

Isn't that 7 decades in dog years?

Old January 17th 09, 11:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"sgt23" wrote in message

Yeah if we could have it as nice as the baby boomers. I would have
loved had to live back then. But I'm not able to and can only see what
is going on now. Our economy doesn't allow for much of making it
anymore. I hate looking in the glass and seeing almost empty. But
right now from where I set, I no longer see much hope. You can flame
if you like, but its not going to change my view.

The part about "your view" that says that the current economic
environment sucks is accurate. What some of us older guys object to
is that your view has tunnel vision. Yours is not the only generation
that's suffering right now. The majority of all those laid off
factory and office workers and retail clerks and other occupations
that have lost jobs and career prospects are from generations well
into their 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. They have families and the huge
responsibilities that come later in life, so they had more to lose
than you do. They might complain about it - like you, they have a
right to - but you're coming across as more of a cry-baby whiner who
has foolishly thrown away all hope just because we're no longer in the
Golden Age for job hunters.

True, times used to be better for my generation, but we had our
recessions during which pickings were lean. Even in the best times,
hiring for specific occupations rose and fell with market demand for
those occupations; and too bad if you came out of college with a
degree in something that was a hot prospect 5 years ago but now was a
drug on the market. I put myself through college while working
part-time and living on my own. We didn't give that a second thought.
It was assumed that unless your parents were affluent or you snagged a
full scholarship, that was what you did if you were lucky enough not
to get your ass drafted and killed in Vietnam. We didn't run around
saying the sky is falling. We sucked it in, made do for the time
being if our upward mobility was stalled, and adapted to the changing
conditions. IOW, we didn't let anything defeat us, we dealt with it.

You know I haven't been bashing your coin posts here, so this isn't a
flame job. It's straight talk - a form of "tough love" if you insist
on a label. Suck it in and pull up your socks, man. Stop thinking
that the world revolves around you and owes you a living, because
there are plenty of us older folks in the same crappy situation.
Don't try to tell the generation whose parents survived the real
Depression how bad it is for you. Even if we were spared the worst of
those times, we know how bad it could be and how the real survivors
dealt with it.

So if you want to get any respect here, stop acting like a spoiled
child, keep looking, don't give up hope, and just deal with it. Keep
up your coin posts, lose the self-pity act, and you won't get these
chastising replies from us old farts.

Old January 17th 09, 02:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"sgt23" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 9:09 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"sgt23" wrote in message

On Jan 15, 11:55 am, wrote:

In article
,
sgt23

wrote:
RWF wrote:
[...]

__________________

You claim our "economy doesn't allow for much of making it anymore."
If you don't think so, just take a look at all the no-talent individuals who
are raking in big money as rock groups that can't sing, YouTube & Facebook
addicts that got lucky, etc. by daring to take chances and go for the gold.
Many made it, many didn't. You just seem resigned to sit back and wait for
someone to lift you up into success, while others who may have fewer skills
than you are taking the initiative to make that silk purse out of the sow's
ear. So when prosperity doesn't fall in your lap, you blame the economy and
country and express envy for baby boomers (I was born long before them) who
probably had fewer opportunities than you do. As long as you're locked into
never changing your views, you have no credibility complaining about your
situation.

Old January 17th 09, 02:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"sgt23" wrote in message
Yeah if we could have it as nice as the baby boomers. I would have
loved had to live back then. But I'm not able to and can only see what
is going on now. Our economy doesn't allow for much of making it
anymore. I hate looking in the glass and seeing almost empty. But
right now from where I set, I no longer see much hope. You can flame
if you like, but its not going to change my view.

Well, when you go thru life uneducated, semi-literate and self-pitying,
life can indeed be tough.

Anybody else note that malanutt and sarge are one and the same person?

Old January 17th 09, 02:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

RWF wrote:
"sgt23" wrote in message
Yeah if we could have it as nice as the baby boomers. I would have
loved had to live back then. But I'm not able to and can only see
what is going on now. Our economy doesn't allow for much of making it
anymore. I hate looking in the glass and seeing almost empty. But
right now from where I set, I no longer see much hope. You can flame
if you like, but its not going to change my view.

Well, when you go thru life uneducated, semi-literate and
self-pitying, life can indeed be tough.

Anybody else note that malanutt and sarge are one and the same person?

Probability of .0000000001, due to the huge differences in style, interests,
and attitudes.

James

Old January 17th 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

RWF wrote:
"sgt23" wrote in message
Yeah if we could have it as nice as the baby boomers. I would have
loved had to live back then. But I'm not able to and can only see
what is going on now. Our economy doesn't allow for much of making
it
anymore. I hate looking in the glass and seeing almost empty. But
right now from where I set, I no longer see much hope. You can flame
if you like, but its not going to change my view.

Well, when you go thru life uneducated, semi-literate and
self-pitying, life can indeed be tough.

Anybody else note that malanutt and sarge are one and the same
person?

Probability of .0000000001, due to the huge differences in style,
interests, and attitudes.

I disagree.
Thye are both half-wits, semi-literate and probably about 12 years old.