Coin Shop Store Tokens

Old February 3rd 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Coin Shop Store Tokens

Would a store token, related to a coin shop or coin dealer be considered
exonumia? Does anyone on RCC actively collect coin shop/dealer-related
store tokens? I have picked up a few modern pieces, and have an interest in
tackling what appears to be a challenging yet inexpensive hobby.

Any thoughts? Any references?

Buck

Old February 3rd 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

These are tough since there's not much interest. You might wan to join
The Token and Medal Society to try to locate other collectors to trade
with. There are a lot of tokens issued by numismatists and dealers but
not many issued by coin shops. There are also many woods and
elongates. You might also want to add coin show tokens which are
usually woods.

Old February 3rd 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"americancoppercoins" wrote in message
Would a store token, related to a coin shop or coin dealer be considered
exonumia? Does anyone on RCC actively collect coin shop/dealer-related
store tokens? I have picked up a few modern pieces, and have an interest
in tackling what appears to be a challenging yet inexpensive hobby.

Any thoughts? Any references?

Buck

Yep it is exonumia. I don't collect "coin shop or coin dealer" tokens per
se
but when they overlap my interests I do.
Here is one
http://www.austriancoins.com/images/...s/1954Lanz.jpg
issued by Herman Lanz (Hubert Lanz's, of Lanz Auctions, Father). Issued in
1954 in Graz Austria
and made by the Austrian Mint. I have two of the three
known varieties so far and I discovered one of them ;-) Even Hubert had
never seen it until I sent him an image of it.

Bet you won't find a specific reference but may find information about some
few in other types of
token literature.

Dale

Old February 3rd 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message

[...]

PS The token gives the address of Herman Lanz's coin shop in Graz Austria.
Of course the shop is long gone now.
Dale

Old February 3rd 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"americancoppercoins" wrote in message
Would a store token, related to a coin shop or coin dealer be considered
exonumia? Does anyone on RCC actively collect coin shop/dealer-related
store tokens? I have picked up a few modern pieces, and have an interest
in tackling what appears to be a challenging yet inexpensive hobby.

Any thoughts? Any references?

Buck

There are just a few Civil War Store Cards issued by coin dealers. Usually
the shops sold a variety of things, and have verbiage such as "John Doe,
purveyor of coins, blowtorches, buffalo hides, vinegar cruets, and medical
sundries." If you'd like to know more specifics, email me.

Mr. Jaggers

Old February 3rd 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Coin shop tokens are a very small fraction of the tokens we make each
year. Actually store card tokens of any profession are a small fraction
of our entire production with coin shop issues being a small fraction
of that division. But on average we make 1 or 2 new designs per year,
typically in small quantities (=1,000 pcs), and we have an occaisional
reorder. I have no real references other than the archive samples of
issues that we have produced since the early '80s, and the early issues
might be hard to find buried deep in those archives.

Happy hunting

Sean Moffatt
Operations manager
Hoffman Mint

Old February 3rd 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"americancoppercoins" wrote in message
Would a store token, related to a coin shop or coin dealer be considered
exonumia? Does anyone on RCC actively collect coin shop/dealer-related
store tokens? I have picked up a few modern pieces, and have an interest

in
tackling what appears to be a challenging yet inexpensive hobby.

Any thoughts? Any references?

Here's one from Empire Coins--Pre Bower's and Ruddy.
I guess this would be considered a modern too.
Hopefully these links will work.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...1of2tokens.jpg

I don't really find many issues from dealers so I collect issues from local
coin clubs
which seems to me to be related but more abundant. Here's one I got last
week.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...nine009/Ft.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...yneCC73rev.jpg

Ode to 100 point Grading:

"One day, one night, came a Cadillac, four headlights,
Came a man with a big long fat cigar, he said 'Come
here son, I'm going to make you a star.'

"and Bo Diddley said... 'Uh, what's in it for me?..'
Story of Bo Diddley
The Animals

Buck

Old February 4th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

americancoppercoins wrote:
Would a store token, related to a coin shop or coin dealer be considered
exonumia? Does anyone on RCC actively collect coin shop/dealer-related
store tokens? I have picked up a few modern pieces, and have an interest in
tackling what appears to be a challenging yet inexpensive hobby.

Any thoughts? Any references?

Buck

I collect tokens with the address of 31 N. Clark St. in Chicago on
them, because that is the address of the coin shop where I have worked
since 1989.
Before we were there, Rarcoa was there.
Before Rarcoa was there, Ben's Coins & Stamps was there.
Before Ben's was there, a company called Meyer & Wenthe had their sales
office there. They manufactured police badges and other stamped metal
products, including advertising tokens! Naturally one of them, used
for promotional purposes, has the address 31 N. Clark St. on it!
Tom D.

Old February 4th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Sean,

Thanks...you have shed some light as to where I might find "records" of
modern store card token mintages and issues. Out of curiousity, how long do
you hold on to the dies after an order?

Buck

ups.com...

Old February 6th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Buck,
We hold the dies forever. We coat the face of the dies with a rust
preventitive, (so in theory we will keep them until the body turns into
a pile of rust dust with a perfectly good coining surface sitting on
top). I understand that some of our competitors scrap the dies if they
have not been used in the last 5-7 years, so if the client reorders
after that time they have to pay for new dies again. But even these
other mints should have archive samples of the pieces they have struck.
Good luck getting any info though.

Sean Moffatt
Operations manager
Hoffman Mint

americancoppercoins wrote:
Sean,

Thanks...you have shed some light as to where I might find "records" of
modern store card token mintages and issues. Out of curiousity, how long do
you hold on to the dies after an order?

Buck

ups.com...