How are your grading skills?

Old September 16th 03, 11:53 PM
mark

Default How are your grading skills?

We had an interesting presentation at our last coin club about grading.
A local dealer presented a synopsis of a seminar he does at the state
(Iowa) show. We were given a test at the end. About fifteen coins were
handed out and we were instructed to examine each for about 20 seconds
(just like the grading services) and give our grade. Then we were told
what grade the "experts" gave.

I did well on the circulated specimens, but on the MS coins I didn't get
much more than that they were Uncirculated. I haven't studied all the
series enough to be able to offer an informed opinion. (Give me another
20 or 30 years)

A fun and informative coin club meeting!

Mark

Old September 17th 03, 01:33 AM
Fred

Thats Funny...
Its the circulated grades that I have trouble with. The Uncirculated grades
I can rattle off with some good speed because 99% of my collection is UNC
and I have been studying them.

You are right about time...it takes a good while to be able to look at a
coin for a few minutes and determine a grade. Practice makes
perfect....well, maybe not perfect!

Fred