The psychology behind collecting

Old February 1st 09, 02:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Default The psychology behind collecting

FROM:
http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/ho...ver01a.article

The psychology behind collecting

February 1, 2009
BY CELESTE BUSK - Sun-Times Staff Writer

Whether it be squirrelling away pennies in a jar,
cherishing photographs from special vacations or
going all out with antiques, stamps and coins,
sooner or later, experts say, nearly everyone
collects something.

According to a 1980 study, one in three adults
collects something, said Fred Bryant, a professor
of psychology at Loyola University Chicago. Bryant
specializes in personality and social psychology.

"That's a lot of people, and the figures are
probably higher now because we're seeing a surge
in collecting thanks to the popularity of
'Antiques Road Show,' internet auction sites and
eBay," he said.

According to Bryant, there is no limit to what
human beings might find worthy of collecting.
"Hair or teeth of famous historical figures,
bottle caps, beer cans, paper clips -- anything
you can think of," he said.

But what is it about collecting that motivates people?

"For some people, collecting is a hobby that can
bring a lot of joy," said Dr. Sheldon S. Greenberg,
a Chicago-based psychiatrist who specializes in
general psychiatry.

"Collecting can be a way of achieving personal
identity and a nurturing hobby to make one feel
good, safe and loved. Collecting can provide a
method of predictability and bring a sense of
security to one's life," Greenberg said. "When
people collect they have a sense of belonging to
something, days look brighter and they feel more
important."

On the other hand, Greenberg says, for some who
feel anxious, collecting can sometimes give people
a false sense of security. "It's an illusion
because the things they collect obviously only have
limited psychological value. It's only symbolic,"
he said.

Bryant says studies indicate the top motive for
collecting is a "feeling of success, competence
and mastery; that one is effective in world
accomplishment and control. Today, the world may
seem out of control and people feel helpless. But
when they hold [collectibles] in the palm of their
hands, they can feel the fruit of their labor."

Both experts say collecting can foster healthy
socialization. "People form clubs, gather to talk
about their collections and point out this or that
about something they've collected. It's a good
way to start a conversation," Greenberg said.

It's also can make good economic sense.

"It's a way of investing," Greenberg said. "Many
collectibles increase in value over time."

Old February 1st 09, 02:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
m...

It's also can make good economic sense.

"It's a way of investing," Greenberg said. "Many
collectibles increase in value over time."

If by "Many" he means "A tiny fraction of", then I agree.

Old February 1st 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"PC" wrote in message

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
m...

It's also can make good economic sense.

"It's a way of investing," Greenberg said. "Many
collectibles increase in value over time."

If by "Many" he means "A tiny fraction of", then I agree.

Depending on the "Humpty Dumpty" effect (a word means only what the
writer intended it to mean), like the plural form of nouns, "many" can
just mean "more than one".

Old February 1st 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"PC" wrote in message

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
m...

It's also can make good economic sense.

"It's a way of investing," Greenberg said. "Many
collectibles increase in value over time."

If by "Many" he means "A tiny fraction of", then I agree.

I would think that the "over time" part is the key. If you save almost
anything long enough, it will increase in value as a nostalgic collectors
item. Unfortunately, most of us usually will not live long enough to profit
from this foresight.

Old February 1st 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 1, 8:40*am, "Arizona Coin Collector" wrote:
FROM:http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/ho...S-News-cover01...

[...]

..

Those people who have the gears in their brain to grind in the first
place, such persons read the Chicago Tribune.

oly
Old February 1st 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"PC" wrote in message

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
m...

It's also can make good economic sense.

"It's a way of investing," Greenberg said. "Many
collectibles increase in value over time."

If by "Many" he means "A tiny fraction of", then I agree.

I would think that the "over time" part is the key. If you save
almost anything long enough, it will increase in value as a
nostalgic collectors item. Unfortunately, most of us usually will
not live long enough to profit from this foresight.

Even if the value does increase, given the token appreciation of some
"collectibles," the money might have been better invested in an
FDIC-insured bank account drawing 0.3%.

Old February 1st 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

news

"PC" wrote in message

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
m...

It's also can make good economic sense.

"It's a way of investing," Greenberg said. "Many
collectibles increase in value over time."

If by "Many" he means "A tiny fraction of", then I agree.

I would think that the "over time" part is the key. If you save almost
anything long enough, it will increase in value as a nostalgic collectors
item. Unfortunately, most of us usually will not live long enough to
profit from this foresight.

Even if the value does increase, given the token appreciation of some
"collectibles," the money might have been better invested in an
FDIC-insured bank account drawing 0.3%.

Most of the things I'm thinking about are items that would not have been
considered collectable and would have had zero value when new-- things like
empty coffee tins, oil cans, cereal boxes, beer cans, etc. After 50 to 100
years, anyone who would have saved instead of discarded this type of thing
would not only be considered balmy, but would be able to sell many of them
for a pretty penny. Things like this often do better as long term
investments than items that are considered "collectibles" when new. You
just have to put up with the raised eyebrows from friends and neighbors.

Old February 1st 09, 08:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

news

"PC" wrote in message

[...]

I suspect that many of the props from period movies, like 1930s boxes
of cereal and soap, were bought or rented from prop houses at a pretty
penny. All you need to do is hang on to all your trash for 50 years
or more.

Old February 1st 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

news

"PC" wrote in message

[...]

A number of years back a man local to me died, he had been manager of one of
the local cinemas for about 40 years, if he had kept one poster from each
film shown his descendants would have inherited a very valuable collection.

The only way to guarantee that a collectable will increase in value is to
acquire them at zero cost. Billy

Old February 1st 09, 10:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

news:fYCdnWTnu7QOKBjUnZ2dnUVZ_ukLAAAA@earthlink. com...

It's also can make good economic sense.

"It's a way of investing," Greenberg said. "Many
collectibles increase in value over time."

If by "Many" he means "A tiny fraction of", then I agree.

I would think that the "over time" part is the key. *If you save
almost anything long enough, it will increase in value as a
nostalgic collectors item. *Unfortunately, most of us usually will
not live long enough to profit from this foresight.

Even if the value does increase, given the token appreciation of some
"collectibles," the money might have been better invested in an
FDIC-insured bank account drawing 0.3%.- Hide quoted text -

Why be the fool hastening after "money" if one does not intend to use
it? A rich person and a poor person get treated much the same in a
nursing home. Even more so in the grave. Our banks are now in
tatters, to boot. People who collect at least have a bit of
imagination and purpose, against the vacuity of the miser.

oly